Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Repair Or Replacement Pas Tube On Gs300

Hi All, few days ago my Power assisted steering pipe developed a pin hole and leaked out all the fluid :crybaby: .

Luckily I was parking the car at the time and so did not drive. My dilemma now seems to be can i get this pipe repaired (it's the long metal one that goes along the front of the radiator) or where can I get a CHEAP replacement. The reason I say cheap is that I have found one in the USA for $534, but I begrudge paying this kind of money for a small pinhole in a piece of pipe.

Everyone person i ask tells me it cannot be repaired, but surely this cannot be true, plumbers, engineers etc work with and no doubt repair metal pipes daily.

Any help or advice would be most welcome?

If you get no joy,find a company who make up and repair hydraulic pipes for heavy

machinery,diggers etc.

They should be able to make one up for you ,no trouble.

A friend of mine had one made up for a Merc. oil cooler and it was cheap conpared to OEM

and is still working OK [6 years]

I tried putting a piece of flexible pipe OVER the leak (without cutting the pipe), with Jubilees either end, but fluid still leaked :tsktsk: in fact it was worse as rather than a small trickle pointing down at the road, the fluid now sprays everywhere. I am not convinced that if I cut the pipe it will get any better, but thanks for the idea.

I tried putting a piece of flexible pipe OVER the leak (without cutting the pipe), with Jubilees either end, but fluid still leaked :tsktsk: in fact it was worse as rather than a small trickle pointing down at the road, the fluid now sprays everywhere. I am not convinced that if I cut the pipe it will get any better, but thanks for the idea.

There are people on here (LOC) who have done it, so it does work, but obviously the place you are jubileeing has to be smooth and rust free (and the right size jubilee for the diameter). Check out this link clicky

There are people on here (LOC) who have done it, so it does work, but obviously the place you are jubileeing has to be smooth and rust free (and the right size jubilee for the diameter). Check out this link clicky

Hmmmmmmmmm! now I'm even more determined to sort this. THnx Tigerfish - I think! lol :duh:

I've just had another look :hehe: and think my problem may have been the pipe not being completely smooth. I'm going to try again in the morning.

Take it to a friendly mech, and see if it can be soldered/welded, obviously would need the pipe off first. But Tigerfish idea should normally work, bear in mind it is a high pressure pipe.

I remember the one on my 530d had a loose end bold (after changing the engine and forgetting to torque up), liquid leaked completely in no time at all!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links