Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Vs He New Is250

Greedy80

Hello one and all I've touched on this in another thread but what I wanted to know was what do IS200 owners think of the IS250 or the 220? I'm loving my IS200 and having driven a few different newer cars I'm left feeling and worrying that the new cars are a bit detached and produce a less than inspiring driving experience. Most of the cars are dulled by over servoed pedal feel and weightless steering feel, whilst the cars I've driven weren't of the standard of the lex I can't help but worry that this is the way things are going.

Put simply I just want to know what the driving differences are between the 200 and the 250 or 220 models? Power, feel, hadling the works! I plan to test drive a 250 at some point and then I'll have a better idea but I'm really keen to see what you guys think.

Ultimately when the sad time comes to replace your current is200 will you look for another 200 with less age and mile or would you be happy in the newer cars? Or of course would you jump ship altoghether and get a different car?

Mark :unsure:

Hello one and all I've touched on this in another thread but what I wanted to know was what do IS200 owners think of the IS250 or the 220? I'm loving my IS200 and having driven a few different newer cars I'm left feeling and worrying that the new cars are a bit detached and produce a less than inspiring driving experience. Most of the cars are dulled by over servoed pedal feel and weightless steering feel, whilst the cars I've driven weren't of the standard of the lex I can't help but worry that this is the way things are going.

Put simply I just want to know what the driving differences are between the 200 and the 250 or 220 models? Power, feel, hadling the works! I plan to test drive a 250 at some point and then I'll have a better idea but I'm really keen to see what you guys think.

Ultimately when the sad time comes to replace your current is200 will you look for another 200 with less age and mile or would you be happy in the newer cars? Or of course would you jump ship altoghether and get a different car?

Mark :unsure:

from driving previous cars i dont think the is200 has that clingy effect on me...i could simply just move onto another car. the longest car i have kept so far was for one whole year! lol

the performance on the current is200 IN MY OPINION i dont think its really that great.....it pulls well from gear 3 onwards when driving sensible (under 3k revs changing gear)

The only thing i like about the is200 is its amazing looks and the kit you get for your money e.g nice seats,sound system....

When my numbers come in I'm afraid I shall be buying an M3 not an IS250, they've blown it in the looks department for me. Would still get the IS250C for the missus though.

I have to say I do love the way the new is looks so that's not an issue for me, an M3 would be nice but it's a different price bracket.. :shifty:

I think they have done a bad job of the IS250. The interior is a "Mini Lexus GS". Even the IS250 SR dosnt look that sporty from the front as the front headlamps just make it look like a reps car.

Also, someone has a IS300 who was thinking about buying one, and swayed away from it, as the IS300 felt quicker.

When i get rid of my IS200 (i may keep and add a small turbo or something) i may try and get an IS300. Its still a great looking car 10 years on!

I've been driving a loan IS250 MM Auto since Thursday. Done over 200 miles in it a) to make use of it B) it's nice to be in.

But you have summed it up perfectly "new cars are a bit detached and produce a less than inspiring driving experience. Most of the cars are dulled by over servoed pedal feel and weightless steering feel"

It also 'feels' a bit slower than my IS300, but it is so much more refined.

I tend to think that comparing the old and new IS models is like apples and pears.

To sum up, I WOULD get an IS250 when the time comes to replace my IS300, but it would have to be fully loaded.

Chris

I agree with the sentiments expressed so far. In 2006 I test drove a IS250 and a 325i. Interestingly, both cars suffered from the same flaw of over refinement. Many people see this as a plus point as the sales figures clearly show. For me, driving needs to be a tactile/organic thing not like watching the television. I felt my IS200 came closer to this ideal, so I didn't trade it in.

Instead we kept it in the family as a 2nd car and have not regretted the decision. I still enjoy driving it even though I now drive a far more powerful AWD car (6MPS). There is so much that is right about the IS200 and not a lot that's wrong. Poor MPG is probably the worst thing but after that, not a lot. Part with your IS200 and weep.

In its day the Cortina 1600E was a similar sort after car way after its demise. I bet a good example is now worth thousands.

i had a 250 as a courtesy car while my 300 was in for service and i must say i love my 300 compared to the 250 the 300 is a lot better to drive in my opinion but my 300 is nowhere near its original setup compared to the standard setup of the 250, the 250 felt like a boat if im honest, the only good thing i would steal from the 250 is the up/down shift on the gear lever as well as having the steering wheel buttons.

I do like the 250, but agree with the above about it feeling detached. The 200 is more raw, the engine is much louder in the cabin and the steering very sharp - in comparison the 250's engine sounds distant and the steering is quite numb.

Having said that, if the 350 was available over here, I think I'd be tempted to get one :)

Well I kept my IS200 Sport, not too sure why, probably because anything else I could get would cost me more dosh and not be as reliable. Still enjoy driving it, but to be honest my IS250 is a lot quicker and handles a damn sight better. Looks are a personal thing but I admit I modified my 250 to more resemble the 200.

garagewithlex.jpg

i had a 200 auto before my 250 auto, and although i loved the 200, i feel the 250 is better in every respect. the power, handling, comfort, build quality, looks, everything. the 250 is awesome and adapts so well to different driving styles. if i am in normal economy mind, it is silky smooth and very fuel efficient, but flick over to manual, and use the paddles, and she comes alive. i never drove the 300, but wouldn't have gone for it as i felt the interior was a little dated and boring, and i love all the toys i get in the 250, like the reversing camera and touch screen etc.

i loved the 200 as i had always dreamed of having one, but i love the 250 more. the next one will probably be the 250c as i have always wanted a convertible but didn't like the aged look of the sc430.

My is 350 is supercharged with some 370 bhp and is great BUT it doesnt involve me if you know what I mean.......will do 170 mph (on autobahn) but its quiet with no foibles so not sure where I am...........

suppose its too efficient !!

roll on my Maserati quattroporte !

Seeing the cars side by side like that, you really can see the evolution but it really makes the IS200 look quite dated :unsure:

@ Tango: The garage is looking awesome!

@ Prolex: Yep the quattroporte is one of my favourite cars :whistling:

@Tango.

Take a picture of them both parked in the garage front ways!

Best I can do at the mo.

backends.jpg

copyofpic0115.jpgcopyofpic0116.jpg

Cracking pics! I have to say I love them both when it comes the way they look and I think the new car is just as attractive. But can you tell me how you feel about the differences in handling? Weight, roll and attitude? :winky:

never driven the IS250 or IS350.

I pick my cars based on the engine, not the looks.

never been a fan of V6 engines.

me personally, i prefer a 6 cylinder to be inline,

if you go V, might as well go V8.

the IS-F V8 is an immaculate engine/motor.

it is very much like a cute girl who is no good in bed.

nice to be seen with her, but are you satisfied with the performance?

just my opinion.

I've just got my IS300 back after 7 days with an 09 IS250MM Auto.

I will miss the interior of the new car.

But I love the visibility, engine response, steering feel and general 'nippiness' of my IS300.

Again, I don't think the two are comparable, they just share the IS in the name.

Only thing I want to do to the 300 is to get another set of sway bars, as the new IS250 is superior for body roll/control.

If I was only allowed to choose one for life, I'd have the new IS250. But for driving pleasure, I prefer my IS300 :)

Chris

I think the new IS is a great looking car, but it looks like a completely different style of car to the old IS, so the old IS still looks good. The side profile of the old IS is great.

The new IS looks great from all angles though. The interior styling is not quite my sort of thing but its very high quality in the ones I've looked at in the showrooms.

The IS220d's seem to be very cheap used now, but I guess the reason is the problems people have with them. They don't sound very refined to me at all. I think i'd have to get an IS250 but I'd have to try the auto and see if it suits me because I've heard the manual gearbox is not very good.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links