Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Transmission Warning Is250

nicnac

As i have reported recently I had my Is250 Auto in for the Enginre rattle on start up problem and steering rack and calipers under warrenty .

They also reseated the rear screen and put all new alloys on under guarantee.They had the car for 3 weeks waiting for a water pump which was weeping from shaft .

Anyway got car back and all seemed well!!!.

I am doing very litlle driving at the moment so it was quite some while before I noticed some gearbox anomilies!!!...when you braked hard say at a road interchange and then went back on the throttle the car would not engage immediately and if you were not careful you would be at a couple of thousand revs before the drive bit ...giving you a whiplash effect .Also the gearchange reacted differently than previously.I had read on the report in the LEXUS garage that they had topped up the ATF fluid so this is where I looked .

I got the service document which involves checking the level at IDLE (after reaching thre required temperature)

It has transpired that my gearbox was UNDERFILLED by 1.5litres approx.20% low

Be aware that this was a LEXUS centre that did the work but it would be impossible to prove that they did not follow the correct procedure

It is IMPERATIVE that the l#level is checked at the correct temperature and with engine on and at idle .You do NOT need the service tool as there is a routine to follow to indicate the correct temperature.

Anybody who wants the procedure can message me .

.I flushed through a few litres as well replacing fluid so I am back to nice new red fluid .ONLY USE TOYOTA type WS

Blimey that isn't good at all - I had a gearbox behave like that a while back and it needed a whole new auto box, I assume if that had been left as it it would probably have been the case as well.

What did the dealer say about it?

I had read on the report in the LEXUS garage that they had topped up the ATF fluid so this is where I looked .

This doesn't make sense when you say:

It has transpired that my gearbox was UNDERFILLED by 1.5litres approx.20% low

So if the problem wasn't there before and was after they had the car in; I can't see how topping it up can mean there was less in there ...............

They said on report they topped it up ..but obviously they did NOT .I reckon they drained the sump which will give you roughly 1.5 Ltrs out .and did not top system up again .

You in effect have to overfill the sump so that when you check level with engine idling .... remove stackpipie level bung that the fluid drains down to stackpipe level which is correct .........as long as your gearbox temperature is at the correct temp as welll

You really have to read the procedure to understand fully...oh and the reason I know it was underfilled was I measured how much in total I took out and how much I put in to achieve correct level in the end.

I put this here to help other people who have the same symptoms !!!! so that they can make sure its not just the incorrect fluid level!!!!!

The car was in there for over 3 weeks and possibly they drained it and ordered fluid to top up but somehow it got overlooked!!!thats one theory??

Blimey that isn't good at all - I had a gearbox behave like that a while back and it needed a whole new auto box, I assume if that had been left as it it would probably have been the case as well.

What did the dealer say about it?

Have not gone back with this as I know I would not be able to prove anything ..........I wanted to diagnose it myself before contacting anyone.the car is outside warrenty now so I will look after it myself .................Then i know the jobs are done to my standards ....not theres.

I am in the process of getting hold of the full diagnostic interface as well so I dont have to rely on muppets .

Forgot to say car is back NOW to its wonderful smooth self.......................!!

I think you need to go back to the garage and ask them what they did, the reason I say this is that they had no reason to touch the automatic gearbox. However, they did have reason to touch the steering rack and if I am correct this also uses ATF.

So for your own pice of mind and ours please ask the dealer if they topped up the steering rack or the automatic gearbox with ATF.

I think you need to go back to the garage and ask them what they did, the reason I say this is that they had no reason to touch the automatic gearbox. However, they did have reason to touch the steering rack and if I am correct this also uses ATF.

So for your own pice of mind and ours please ask the dealer if they topped up the steering rack or the automatic gearbox with ATF.

@Steve

1)The IS250 has electrically assisted power steering no fluid necessary!!!!

2)They emptied the transmission sump.....signs of fluid around drain plug plus socket witness marks on hex plug..!!!!!!The only mystery is why did they neglect to refill it with at least the same amount as they took out !!!Also they chewed the plastic nuts on the plastic fairing that covers the gearbox.

The probable reason they were at the rest of the car is that I had got Lexus headquarters to light a fire under them because I was getting the run around about taking her in in the first place.

The head man sent me a copy of the letter he sent them and within 10 minutes I got a phone call from the service manager at the dealership apologising profusely and telling me I would be well looked after .I reckon he must have told the service guys to do EVERYTHING in an effort to appease me and keep head office of their backs.

They did everthing necessary and except for this I am happy .I even bought them a crate of beer when I picked up the car.I think this was a genuine mistake /oversite by the service people .

So Steve .............................this post was for INFORMATION PURPOSES......make of it what you will ....Im done typing here!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links