Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can You Add Auto Wipers?

HuDSoN

Hi

Just got my IS200 a few weeks ago and just getting used to it as well as looking in to what I can change / improve.

Before I had a mk4 golf which I added auto wipers too. was a simple case of add the rain sensor and change the control relay.

now the rain is on its way again, wanted to know if auto wipers could be added to the IS as I am finding the timings on the int wiper dont always suit and I kind of forget to turn them off when the rain drops off.

On a maybe related note, what are the sesnors on the dash for? I assume one of them is for the auto lights (liking this BTW) but what is the other for?

Thanks

I have a few other questions planned but still checking the search button.

other sensor, is for the solar sensor, to determine functions of the Aircon and climate system.

regards adding rain sensors, no mk1 is200 was fitted with them so, its not something that could be retrospectively fitted.

if there was a kit, then it could be possible...but i dont know, i personally dont have any issues with the intermittent settings.

regards the auto headlights feature, leaving it switched on, can cause the relay to burn out, causing the lights to stay on all the time.

so, i would only switch it to auto, during a trip, but switch it off, on parking

I believe the other sensor is the same as on my GS, and is the solar sensor for the aircon. I always assumed the auto-wiper function on other cars is controlled by sensors on the outside of the windscreen to detect moisture, so would be relatively easy to add. I could be wrong though.

I believe the other sensor is the same as on my GS, and is the solar sensor for the aircon. I always assumed the auto-wiper function on other cars is controlled by sensors on the outside of the windscreen to detect moisture, so would be relatively easy to add. I could be wrong though.

the sensors for the auto wipers are on the inside of the window in the center and its incased in gel(thats why 9 times out of 10 when you replace the window you replace the sensor)

pic below is of a rain sensor

rain_light_sensor-front.jpg

the sensors for the auto wipers are on the inside of the window in the center and its incased in gel(thats why 9 times out of 10 when you replace the window you replace the sensor)

Does it just work on light levels?

other sensor, is for the solar sensor, to determine functions of the Aircon and climate system.

regards adding rain sensors, no mk1 is200 was fitted with them so, its not something that could be retrospectively fitted.

if there was a kit, then it could be possible...but i dont know, i personally dont have any issues with the intermittent settings.

regards the auto headlights feature, leaving it switched on, can cause the relay to burn out, causing the lights to stay on all the time.

so, i would only switch it to auto, during a trip, but switch it off, on parking

handy info about auto lights.

solar sensor is different, guess it can guess how much the car will warm up before it does kind of thing.

I did find something on the search about a rain tracker, looks like this will be the only way just did not intergrate in that well as you have to turn it on/off with a toggle switch.

thanks anyway, will just have to adjust back to manual ones.

impress by everyones fast, helpful responses.

Does it just work on light levels?

to be honest i don't know some people make out it senses dampness???and some say light levels but i really dont know ,but it has somthing to do with the gel because if you damage the gel in anyway the auto wipers stop working.

Yep it's light that makes them work - there are aftermarket kits that you could install but it was never a specific thing on the IS.

Interesting about the auto lights, I've had mine on permanently pretty much for the last 7 years - is it a long term thing or would it have happened already if it were to burn out? :unsure:

Interesting about the auto lights, I've had mine on permanently pretty much for the last 7 years - is it a long term thing or would it have happened already if it were to burn out? :unsure:

from past cases they have normally started to fail by now, ....maybe it was rectified at some point by Lexus....

from past cases they have normally started to fail by now, ....maybe it was rectified at some point by Lexus....

I'm touching some wood as we speak - knowing my luck it'll fail the next time I start the car now.......hopefully it was sorted out then :)

I have installed Rain Tracker on my Previa.works 100% :).

Easy to install.

Jensi

http://www.raintracker.com/

I've actually looked at that before but then wasn't sure whether to go ahead. When you say easy, how easy was it to install? And does it work well?

I used the 50A.

I have connected in paralell with the cables to the wiper engine.

I also installed the on/off switch .

And the original switch works as before.

I was impressed by the way it worked.Almost perfect.

No need for adjusting or anything.

Nice thing to have here in Norway in these rainy days:)

Cheap to.

Jens

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but since I'm a windscreen fitter by trade, I thought I'd chime in

Rain sensors (also called moisture sensors) don't actually detect moisture - they work on a combination of light and vibration. The light is diminished (refracted) when glass gets wet, and it uses that in conjunction with vibration (the irregular pattern of rain/water hitting a screen) to activate the wipers.

As a windscreen fitter, we have to test rain sensors before and after changing a screen, and on some cars it's as simple as covering the sensor area (outside) with your hand (Rover/MG most susceptible to this), drumming your fingers on the sensor area (outside) (can get some Vauxhalls and VW's to activate this way), or most commonly, spraying the screen with a spray bottle (which we call carry full of glass cleaner anyway) - 99% will activate this way, although some cars only activate the wipers when the vehicle is moving (mainly Mercs)

I don't ever remember seeing an IS200 (or 300) with a rain sensor, but Lexus do, as you guys already know, have rain sensors on many of their vehicles. I'll consult my screen book when I next have it to hand. I did a screen on an RX400H a couple days ago - they have a sensor box that attaches to a metal bracket on the screen, and between the plastic sensor box and the glass is a simple "gum strip" - just a clear rectangle of tacky gum like substance that sticks via friction. It's trapped between the sensor and the screen, and like all the other different types, shapes and consistencies of the other gels, it's purpose is to transmit the vibration from the glass to the sensor itself.

In regard to the gel - some use a "wet" gel (later BMW's, many Renaults, Nissan's and some Mercs - all typically round sensors) where the gel is set, but tacky. Removing these sensors used to mean fitting a new one (you'd get a blank sensor, with no internal PCB, and replace only the outer case, the front part, which has the fresh gel on it, keeping the internals of the old sensor). Other types can be like the pic Ormi posted - which is a set gel, not tacky. The whole sensor, including the gel, comes away from the screen intact, and can be refitted to the new screen without replacing the sensor or the gel - a simple light dusting of glass cleaner (which evaporates) is enough to adhere the gel to the screen for contact. On Jags and pre 2004/5ish VW's, they had small round sensors, which have a gel pad between the sensor and the glass - the sensor pulls off the screen, the gel pad isn't saveable, but we get new pads to stick to the sensor and then to the new screen. Same with most Audi's, which have a similar design, but tear drop shaped. Other BMW's, like the E46 and E39's, Merc ML's, and a host of other cars have the sensor "window" stuck to the new screen - it's a plastic (most often blue, but some cars, like the ML, come with red, and some BMW's and mercs have chrome and blue) bracket fully glued to the glass with a rigid gel. The sensor simply clips on to it.

A point worth noting for anyone messing around with their sensor - mainly applies to Mercs and Beemers, but worth applying to all sensors - if you remove it from the screen, do it with the ignition off and do not turn the ignition on until it has been refitted to the screen. Reason for this is some vehicles (again, mostly Mercs and Beemers) include the rain sensor in it's start up checks. If it's not attached to the glass, the ECU reads that as it's malfunctioning, so it disables it. A trip to the dealer is then needed to re-activate it. Likewise, never unplug the actual sensor if at all avoidable - this can result in "memory loss" where they ECU forgets what the sensor does, so again a trip to the dealer is required (the only one I ever unplug is the VW Beetle, because a) I know it will still work, provided the ignition is not turned on during replacement, and 2) the glass comes with a brand new sensor already fitted, so it's better to swap the plug over to the new sensor, than pull it off and use a new pad)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links