Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Customising Headlights

BillNick

Hi all,

Having read all the threads on this subject I have decided what I wish to do with my headlights, but still wanted to ask a couple of small questions that people may or may not know the answer to.

1) I want to spray my chrome insert the same grey shade as my smoked rear lights (std on my 51 plate sport). Does anyone know the shade of the rear light cluster or shall I just go get a can from halford to best match?

2) Can you do the same to the fog lights as you do with the headlights.....ie, take the chrome moulding out and spray it to match the headlights?

3) With the orange reflector removed and silver bulbs inserted, are the indicators very bright? IE will they pass MOT and are people on the road going to be able to see which way I wish to turn haha???

4) What is the best product to use to clean my lenses up like new?

Help is appreciated...I know there are a few threads already lying around on this...apologies.

Bill

Haven't actually done this, but it's been discussed quite a few times so think I can help :)

1. If you've got the same rear lights as I do (which you should given the year of the car) the rear lights are black chrome and not grey, so it is quite difficult to get the same finish. I can only think of one member who tried to make the headlights black chrome and it didn't work - doesn't make it impossible but not sure how expensive chrome paint is as well.

2. Yes you can do the front fogs in exactly the same way as the headlights.

3. Again have no personal experience of this but several people have done this mod and haven't heard of any problems either with the MOT or general use on the road.

4. Brasso always comes highly recommended to polish the plastic lenses up.

Hi all,

Having read all the threads on this subject I have decided what I wish to do with my headlights, but still wanted to ask a couple of small questions that people may or may not know the answer to.

1) I want to spray my chrome insert the same grey shade as my smoked rear lights (std on my 51 plate sport). Does anyone know the shade of the rear light cluster or shall I just go get a can from halford to best match?

2) Can you do the same to the fog lights as you do with the headlights.....ie, take the chrome moulding out and spray it to match the headlights?

3) With the orange reflector removed and silver bulbs inserted, are the indicators very bright? IE will they pass MOT and are people on the road going to be able to see which way I wish to turn haha???

4) What is the best product to use to clean my lenses up like new?

Help is appreciated...I know there are a few threads already lying around on this...apologies.

Bill

Hi Bill,

1) Not too sure on shade of grey so can't really help with this one!

2) Yes you can do the exact same with the foglights. I have posted a guide on here showing how i did mine.

3) I have done my headlights and used the silver/orange reflector bulbs, they are actually brighter than before as there is no plastic lens getting in the way.

4) Don't use brasso on the headlights as i believe there is a protective layer, once that has been removed the lights will degrade further. Or so i have been told :unsure:

Here is mine i did several years ago, i went for all black to match the car and even put a yellow filter in the fogs.

registry_gallery-217-1210519907.jpg

Hope that helps mate,

Jason :D

Thanks for the reply....

Black Chrome?? Strange.....do you think if I chose a grey that matched closest that would do the job? Although they are "Black Chrome" they look totally grey to the naked eye...wouldnt you agree?

PS thanks for the advise on the other 3 Q's

Ill just need to search threads for the link to the silver indicator bulbs I guess....still an orange flash so MOT will be fine I guess

Thanks for the reply....

Black Chrome?? Strange.....do you think if I chose a grey that matched closest that would do the job? Although they are "Black Chrome" they look totally grey to the naked eye...wouldnt you agree?

PS thanks for the advise on the other 3 Q's

Ill just need to search threads for the link to the silver indicator bulbs I guess....still an orange flash so MOT will be fine I guess

Not too sure on shade of grey/black chrome im afraid. They do look grey and im sure you could get something similar?!?!

The orange/chrome bulbs will be fine mate, i have had mine on for several years and never had a problem at MOT time, as long as they flash orange you will be fine! If you look at the picture you will also notice that my side repeaters are full on black!!!! The orange still manages to shine through these and i have never failed an MOT on them!

Jaosn :P

Sorry wasn't trying to confuse you there, it's not that grey wouldn't work, I'm sure it would look fine, it's just that you wouldn't get the chrome (mirrored) effect that the rear lights have with just ordinary paint. I think I've seen a set painted in granite sky (the dark grey Lexus colour) and they looked great.

The silver bulbs are called silvervision I think, can't remember if they're Philips or Osram though.......

Cool cool...im not looking for a shine or sparkle...just a best colour match with the rear likes....want to get smoked repeaters also...

With the indicators.....we are 582 wedge type correct? Can only see 581s on Ebay :-(

I got these repeaters on eBay from New Zealand delivered to the UK within 14 days, check them out there look great fitted. :whistling:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CRYSTAL-SMOKED-SIDE...id=p3286.c0.m14

They come with orange bulbs but I put the chrome one which flash orange. :winky:

Cool cool...im not looking for a shine or sparkle...just a best colour match with the rear likes....want to get smoked repeaters also...

With the indicators.....we are 582 wedge type correct? Can only see 581s on Ebay :-(

I got these repeaters on eBay from New Zealand delivered to the UK within 14 days, check them out there look great fitted. :whistling:

They come with orange bulbs but I put the chrome one which flash orange. :winky:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...40&start=40

If you look at my last update you ll see that i ve done the same wi the indicators but for a grand total of a fiver!lol

Used a can of light tinting spay, which is a sillicone based paint.

Also used this to paint the inners of my headlights and its given a sort of dark crome effect i ll get pics up later :D

Front fog lights are not part of the mot so you can do with them as you please. Paint them green in you wish. this will make them not fit for road use but will pass an mot. same with the indicators, as long as the light flashes amber doesnt matter how you achieve this as long as its a perminant/good fix.

I've bought these too, they look fantastic on the black is200.

next on the list is the Toyota JDM black headlights ;)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...40&start=40

If you look at my last update you ll see that i ve done the same wi the indicators but for a grand total of a fiver!lol

Used a can of light tinting spay, which is a sillicone based paint.

Also used this to paint the inners of my headlights and its given a sort of dark crome effect i ll get pics up later :D

I thought of spraying them black like you suggest, but then decided to buy the ones from New Zealand eBay. :winky:

I'm glad I did because the quality and finish on the ones I bought is far superior than spraying them. :whistling: