Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon Smell

IrishGS300

Hello ....

The air coming from my aircon has recently developed this very stale smell when it first comes on. I know that the filter ( in the glove box ) has never been changed so I'll get that done. But do you think anything further needs to be done to freshen it up again - such as recharge / re-gas the aircon system ?

Thanks !

Firstly, change the air con filter- that should remove the smell.

Also try an air con cleaner from Toyota, this is what I use:

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

I'd recommend buying the air con cleaning spray from Lexus/Toyota if your air con/heating system smells.

The Toyota stuff is good stuff and smells nice too, but Kam has sprayed it in to the wrong place.... Remove the cabin filter and spray the aircon evaporator from the slot where the filter fits.. to be extra thorough, stick in the pipe and tape up the slot, run the engine, aircon on fan on slow and steadilly spray the cleaner in to the air stream... It then gets in to all those important little nooks and crannies, fit a new filter and you're done

I wasn't aware that I am using the air con cleaner wrong- I bought a OEM service kit from eBay back in July and the seller told me to use the air con cleaner I spray it down the air vents and leave it to settle for 1/2 hour. I'll try your way of using the air con cleaner next time.

The odours come from the evaporator box and evaporator coils. When the air con is used, the coils become damp when the airbourne humidity condenses on them.. Most eventually drips off the coils and in to the drip tray below where it runs out through the condensatr drip tube and on to the road, leaving the little puddles that you can see on your drive. When you have finished your journey the evaporator box and all inside it warms up, forming a very humid and warm breeding ground for mould to grow giving rise to those nasty niffs so the primary target to reduce these odours is the evaporator box.

Some manufacturers have a facillity where the heater blower motor overruns for several minutes after the engine has been switched off to help dry the evaporator box and so reduce the smells that come from a wet evaporator.. you can help to prevent smells by switching off the air con a few miles before the end of your journey which helps dry things out.. It also pays to avoid the use of the recirculate button as this does increase the chances of smells by not introducing fresh air

The Transporter has it spot on with the cause.

I bought a can of aircon cleaner from Halfords - it was about 6 quid if I remember rightly. The instructions are to turn the aircon system on full speed, with recirculation set to on (so it uses the same air rather than drawing in fresh from outside) and stand the can upright on the floor and press the button. It takes about 5-10 minutes to completely empty out the can into the air inside the car, and the recirculating air will draw the cleaning gases right through the system. Obviously all doors and windows need to be shut while this is going on, while you stand outside the car too.

Worked very well for me - no more musty smell after I used it about 3 or 4 months ago. Recommended.

Can you by any chance remember what brand that cleaner you used was ?

I popped by Halfords earlier and they had a product like this from COMMA but about 12 quid.

Says to do what you say with the can left emptying standing on the floor behind the front passenger seat ....

Apparently out of stock of their own brand product so is that what you used ?

TG

The Transporter has it spot on with the cause.

I bought a can of aircon cleaner from Halfords - it was about 6 quid if I remember rightly. The instructions are to turn the aircon system on full speed, with recirculation set to on (so it uses the same air rather than drawing in fresh from outside) and stand the can upright on the floor and press the button. It takes about 5-10 minutes to completely empty out the can into the air inside the car, and the recirculating air will draw the cleaning gases right through the system. Obviously all doors and windows need to be shut while this is going on, while you stand outside the car too.

Worked very well for me - no more musty smell after I used it about 3 or 4 months ago. Recommended.

tbh your ment to stick it up the a/c drain tube but either of the above ways is fine.

wheres that just to clarify? i really need to do mine it stinks whenever i turn the aircon off!!

its the wee rubber tube that the water drips out of under the car just behind the front wheels.you'll prob find it when you put your head under the car and you get dripped on lol.

tbh your ment to stick it up the a/c drain tube but either of the above ways is fine.

wheres that just to clarify? i really need to do mine it stinks whenever i turn the aircon off!!

its the wee rubber tube that the water drips out of under the car just behind the front wheels.you'll prob find it when you put your head under the car and you get dripped on lol.

Or if it is blocked, you'll get an icy stream of water running up your arm when you unblock it :whistling:

• 2 months later...