Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm getting a slight whine from the driver's side wheel, more obvious when cornering so most likely my wheel bearing is on it's way out.

Has anyone changed the front wheel bearings themselves? How fiddly was it? :)

Due to the size of these bearings, drifting them out is very difficult and you will probably damage them. The only way to do this job properly is with the use of a hydraulic press and plenty of irons (and sockets!)to build a platform to support the hub.

Access to a good quality vice is also a big bonus! An easy job if the above is at hand.

Due to the size of these bearings, drifting them out is very difficult and you will probably damage them. The only way to do this job properly is with the use of a hydraulic press and plenty of irons (and sockets!)to build a platform to support the hub.

Access to a good quality vice is also a big bonus! An easy job if the above is at hand.

I do have a good big vice and the other stuff but not a hydraulic press unfortunately :(

I've done wheel bearings on other cars in the past without having to use a H. press...

Alternatively I could get a complete hub with a good bearing from a breaker :unsure:

I have done many wheel bearings in my time and I would say that a press is the only way to go with a bearing of this size. I would avoid getting a hub from a breakers,you will probably be in the same position a few months down the road. Just take the hub assembly and bearing kit to a garage and ask if they would complete the job off the car. With the cost of these bearings, they are too expensive to mess up! (paid £65 each). I would suggest doing the both sides as around 1-month after doing the passenger side the drivers side failed! Good luck! Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I have indeed thought about taking the assembly to my local garage..they'd probably do it for free too or for a few beer tokens :)

I've had a closer look today.

Jacked the car up, grabbed the wheel top an bottom and NO play at all! So maybe not the wheel bearing?

I've also noticed a scraping sound from the same wheel when braking over the past few days.

Took the brake pads (almost new) and caliper off, cleaned it all, re-copper greased the required ares, put it all back together and I still get a scraping sound when braking :huh: any thoughts?

Hi again!...

Did you check the disc run-out with a dti? Are the pads good quality? Is the sound really from the front not the back? I`ve spent hours looking for sounds on these cars, the most difficult from a prop bearing....took a while to find that one! They are so quiet, anything unusual annoys the hell out of you!! Hope you find it! Good luck.

Hi,

I have not checked for disc runout.

I couldn't tell whether the brake pads are a good quality..all it says is "Made in Japan" on the back..lol

I'm pretty sure it's from the front, doing 5 miles an hour with window down and I can hear it coming from the front wheel when braking gently.

Hi have you checked the backing plate, may be rubbing under cornering/braking.

Hi Mark,

Yes, checked. No rubbing from the backing plate.

• 1 year later...

a noise when braking sounds more than likely the brakes are suspect... could be worn pads, stuck calipers (causing your pads to wear at an angle, not even), or the discs - mine 'scrapes' because there is a lip on the discs - worn that much that the faceplate has sunk in below the vented edge, but still efficient and braking is good but it is the 1st job next week!!

It then had noises when turning... after 2 weeks the backing plate came off :blush: , i knew i should've checked!!

It's easy to check your brakes & not that much of a physical effort, i havn't had difficulty with any nut/bolt around the brakes/suspension. They only go on one way so you cannot get it wrong

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbpad.html

Just try it and take the pads out to look at, then clean with wooden bristle brush & hot soapy water or brake cleaner, look at discs and see if the silver face is 'sinking' away from the rusty edge, also check the disc is not 'ribbed' - run your (clean) finger down the silver face and it should be flat not rippled.

An hour max for each side refitted, 15mins after 2 or 3 times :)

I've asked this question on here before....I have a rough front when you spin the hub....wanted to change it out but was told you need to buy a compleete hub assembly off Lexus .

The hub looked a nightmare to get off too...so I have left it to develop as they say....but do think about it when on longer drives. :unsure:

I've asked this question on here before....I have a rough front when you spin the hub....wanted to change it out but was told you need to buy a compleete hub assembly off Lexus .

The hub looked a nightmare to get off too...so I have left it to develop as they say....but do think about it when on longer drives. :unsure:

If cost is the issue, go PM Benfur for used. No doubt it is a :tsktsk: to get off, but if you have tools that fit, give it a go.