Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jet Powered Merry Go Round

Duv

Ha! A pulse jet powered merry go round! Very cool but not for me. I work on jet engines and i know what can go wrong, i favour my ***** intact!

What?! I've been automatically edited. It won't let me post *****, I'll have to write bottom instead. :whistling:

Ha! A pulse jet powered merry go round! Very cool but not for me. I work on jet engines and i know what can go wrong, i favour my ***** intact!

What?! I've been automatically edited. It won't let me post *****, I'll have to write bottom instead. :whistling:

Excellent as you work on jet engines could you please tell me if the following is true when we were delayed coming home the other week.

The captain announced the reason for the delay was that the "starter motor on one of the engines had to be replaced and took 2.5 hours ( Boeing 757-200) I always thought these engines were started by an external unit on the ground and the only way to restart a jet engine that stops in flight is to "windmill" it

Excellent as you work on jet engines could you please tell me if the following is true when we were delayed coming home the other week.

The captain announced the reason for the delay was that the "starter motor on one of the engines had to be replaced and took 2.5 hours ( Boeing 757-200) I always thought these engines were started by an external unit on the ground and the only way to restart a jet engine that stops in flight is to "windmill" it

There are a few ways to start a turbo-fan jet engine. Most engines use an electric starter motor combined with bleed air that comes from the APU (Auxilliary power unit, this is the small jet engine, usually in the aft body of the aircraft that provides power and air for the jet when no external sources are present) in order to spool the engine before ignition begins and the engine becomes self sustaining.

External air start trolleys are used in the absence of bleed air from an internal source.

And yes jobs can take a long time when you're working on aircraft, the so called five minute jobs that take up half your night are the best ones.

Personally i'd rather be thorough in a job and take more time over it. It's not worth cutting any corners, no matter how small, when peoples lives are relying on you doing the job right.

Hope this helps :D

There are a few ways to start a turbo-fan jet engine. Most engines use an electric starter motor combined with bleed air that comes from the APU .

And yes jobs can take a long time when you're working on aircraft, the so called five minute jobs that take up half your night are the best ones.

Personally i'd rather be thorough in a job and take more time over it. It's not worth cutting any corners, no matter how small, when peoples lives are relying on you doing the job right.

Hope this helps :D

which engines have a combined electric and air start??

There are a few ways to start a turbo-fan jet engine. Most engines use an electric starter motor combined with bleed air that comes from the APU .

which engines have a combined electric and air start??

The Rolls Royce RB211 uses a combined electric and bleed air start sequence.

forgot about this... RB211 does not have a combined electric starter motor and bleed air starter, i actually dont know of any high bypass engine that uses a combined starter.

however if you mean it uses a bleed air starter and is controlled electronically that is a different matter.