Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Wear!

I know trying to get kit for tomorrow to do it my self with the guide on here couldnt beleve the wool and how much width it had lost lucky ascape me thinks all thanks to seeing the other pics of that worn cambelt on here thanks guys

lenny, i ordered mine yesterday mate off japarts.co.uk or .com around 2.00pm and it was here at 9.00am the next morning!

you havnt got to worry about delivery time with japarts mate.

there based in london, so if your local then i suppose you could collect.

This is the second one lie this in just a few days, and the wear would suggest that something is not running true as the belt seems to be pushed to the front of the pully where it rubs against something and gradually wears away. Could this be caused by the belt only being changed without the tensioner having been replaced? Very slight wear in the tensioner causes the belt to be forced forward? If so then this is a compelling reason to replace the tensioner and not to skimp on the job..

Hi thanks Yates-is200s i ordered mine from a local car parts supply place at 9am and it was there by 12 they did the timing kit including idler and tensioner and all the other belts for water pump,power steering and aircon for £108 quid so not bad the timing kit was not a genuine kit tho but have to say still great quality parts and it turns out the belt wear was caused by the tensioner failing a bit on the back had broken off and the tensioner was not putting any presure on the belt at all so very lucky. This turns out to be related to a noise i had been hearing when the car was starting a rattling noise which went away when reved the noise was caused by the broken tensioner spining every now and then. So all sorted now big thanks to all on here that helped and remember check your belts mine also tured out to have also jumped one or two tooths so the timing was off lucky no damage seems to have been caused thanks again

I changed my belt last week with the help of my mechanic mate. When I removed the cover the edge of the belt had begin to wear and had a few chunks out of it (not as bad as above), so I was delighted I got it done in time. I bought a water pump from Lexus for 250 euro because I thought it was driven directly by cam belt, was sick to discover it wasn't and I could have replaced it anytime. Had nightmare getting new belt lined up, the minute the tensioner was released the belt would move and the timing would be out by about half a tooth. After several attempts, we backed it off about 2 teeth so when the tensioner was enabled it fell perfectly into place. Running fine now.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised how easy it was to have a quick look at the timing belt. Mine is coming up to the 6year mark next year and I have only owned the car a few weeks so this was my only area of concern (car has only covered 34K). After seeing these various posts I thought I had better take a look at it to ensure it would see me through to the service next year.

Well after 5 minutes removing a few bolts and plastic I was relieved to see that the belt still looks brand new. No sign of any wear, really black with no debris or marks on it at all and its the full width of the sprocket.

Thanks to all the posters on this subject, a weight off my shoulders.

Laters

Hoops

Next job...off to find some shiny new centre caps for the wheels.