Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

right, i have recently come back from a 3000 mile drive across europe and back

and wehilst on route, i was aware of wind noise frrom drivers door side

once back and upon inspection it appears to be coming from the black door trim coming away slightly at the top...........it may have been an attempt at breaking in,

what i would like to know is can the surrund be removed and re bent in to hape or maybe just fill the gap and paint it

can the trim be bought reasonably

I've got the same problem on mine after someone tried to lever the top of the door open. It can be removed, there are small nuts and bolts which are visible once you have removed the plastic trim around the inside of the door/window frame. And some screws which are visible once you pull the rubber window seal out from around the top. The ones at the bottom are a bit tricky to get off with the window glass still in. as far as repairing goes, it depends what has happened. On mine, the little spot welds holding the black metal outside trim onto the shiney metal inner window guide have been broken. Doesn't look like there is much that can be done for it, as the frame has been bent slightly. If the welds are all in tact, which I suspect they aren't if the black frame is sitting proud, but if they are, you might be able to reclamp it into line with the nuts/bolts/screws. From what I remember. the price of the trim is around £90. I still need to replace mine as it is glued and taped at the moment, and does look cr*p :lol:

I've got the same problem on mine after someone tried to lever the top of the door open. It can be removed, there are small nuts and bolts which are visible once you have removed the plastic trim around the inside of the door/window frame. And some screws which are visible once you pull the rubber window seal out from around the top. The ones at the bottom are a bit tricky to get off with the window glass still in. as far as repairing goes, it depends what has happened. On mine, the little spot welds holding the black metal outside trim onto the shiney metal inner window guide have been broken. Doesn't look like there is much that can be done for it, as the frame has been bent slightly. If the welds are all in tact, which I suspect they aren't if the black frame is sitting proud, but if they are, you might be able to reclamp it into line with the nuts/bolts/screws. From what I remember. the price of the trim is around £90. I still need to replace mine as it is glued and taped at the moment, and does look cr*p :lol:

thanks, sounds exactly like mine..............well i am not bringing car back to uk until feb now, so i guess i will have to live with it...........maybe i will just smear some mastic into the gap and hope that cuts the wind noise a little...........i just dont want it to get any worse

Step 1) Pick up some foam tubing. You can find some at your local Hardware store B&Q or some other shop. Take special note of the diameter of the foam tubing to ensure the tube fits.

rubbertube.jpg

Here's what it looks like out of the package.

tube1.jpg

Step 2) Peel back the corners of your rubber door stripping on the frame of the car. Mine for some reason were all cut already. Does it come like this or is this just wear and tear? All four of my corners were already torn.

tube2.jpg

Step 3) Insert foam into the tunnels of the rubber door stripping. Spray with Aerospace 303 to lubricate the foam and rubber tunnel and slide approximately 18"-20" into the rubber tunnel. I personally ran the foam tubing about 15-18 inches along the top of the door and a good 6-8 inches along the side. It's important that you use some type of lubricant (not that kind...:cool: ) to get the foam tube to slide smoothly into the rubber tunnel. I sprayed very generous amounts of Aerospace 303 and it went in nicely.

tube3.jpg

Step 4) Step back and admire your work. The foam tube should sit flush like this and when you let the rubber flap go, it will cover up the tube and look stock.

tube4.jpg

Step 5) Repeat for all doors. And maybe the trunk?

The door and trim panels are different on the mk1, it isn't the rubber seal that is the problem. There is a two-part metal trim on the outside of the door. If the two parts break apart (they are spot welded together), they seperate and no longer clamp the seal and window glass tightly together, thus allowing an air leak. The trim sticks out proud from the door. If you can clamp the trim back to the door you might get round it, but nothing I tried would do it, especially if the trim has been bent by someone trying to break into the car (like they did on mine). Nothing will hold tight enough against the tension of this metal trim/frame.

The door and trim panels are different on the mk1, it isn't the rubber seal that is the problem. There is a two-part metal trim on the outside of the door. If the two parts break apart (they are spot welded together), they seperate and no longer clamp the seal and window glass tightly together, thus allowing an air leak. The trim sticks out proud from the door. If you can clamp the trim back to the door you might get round it, but nothing I tried would do it, especially if the trim has been bent by someone trying to break into the car (like they did on mine). Nothing will hold tight enough against the tension of this metal trim/frame.

just wondering if a small self tapping screw would clamp it back ok then filler over the top and paint to finish

just tried tape over the gap and it reduces the wind noise

just wondering if a small self tapping screw would clamp it back ok then filler over the top and paint to finish

That would probably work although the concealment afterwards might be tricky, worth a try though.

That would probably work although the concealment afterwards might be tricky, worth a try though.

i will look in to it a bit more...........make sure it will not show or can be covered up well enough......or disguised in some way

• 3 months later...

i will look in to it a bit more...........make sure it will not show or can be covered up well enough......or disguised in some way

well i ended up tapping a screw to the top part to pull the metal in and it was working fine, didnt look too bad, but the trim is now coming away about mid window now, i think i will replace the whole thing when i come back to uk, but thats not for a month, i am now wondering wether to drill and pop rivet a couple of times down the trim or maybe use some "no more nails" or similar to insert between the door and the trim to hold it inplace

at the moment there sounds like a buzzing rattley noise on more bumpy roads.............if it stays like it is on the journey back its going to be annoying .............

once back in uk i can arrange to buy new trim ................... but even then not sure how it will fit on ....weld or some sort of clips

the black screw at top isnt noticable, but additional rivets would be nd would need to drill a couple of holes in the actual door frame

any ideas

WOULD "no more nails" work ......??

Funny you should ask that. I have used the exact thing to try and sort mine out. Didn't work for me, but might well work better if you have a screw at the top like you have done. The problem I had is that it couldn't quite keep things together and then once it eventually set fully, it can't be clamped shut anymore 'cos of the glue in the gap :rolleyes:

Funny you should ask that. I have used the exact thing to try and sort mine out. Didn't work for me, but might well work better if you have a screw at the top like you have done. The problem I had is that it couldn't quite keep things together and then once it eventually set fully, it can't be clamped shut anymore 'cos of the glue in the gap :rolleyes:

maybe i will try a couple of rivets then, the wind noise is coming from the gap between the window and the frame rather tha between door and frame, bloody annoying though as its drivers door not other one , maybe a common problem, just not come across it much................it may be cold coming back over (so no need to open window) so may just tape it up until i get back then get it fixed properly back in uk

maybe i will try a couple of screws for now and when back in uk fill the holes up in the door frame then get new surrounds later

just added 1 screw mid way down the frame and it seems to work ok

this time i have covered the screw and part of the frame with black electric tape and it looks Ok, no wind noise

a quick fix i know

hopefully once back in uk it wont be too difficult to have a new frame fitted