Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Abs Problem

I have a 2001 RX300 which is used as a spare car in winter and to transport our two dogs. It has covered just over 50,000 miles and has been serviced regularly. It has recently developed a fault whereby the ABS function appears to be working during normal braking, causing vibration through the pedal. The brake pads and discs were replaced at its 50k service, using genuine Lexus parts, and the service department (our nearest Lexus dealer is 140 miles away) can find no obvious fault to cause this. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what is causing it?

• 4 months later...
I have a 2001 RX300 which is used as a spare car in winter and to transport our two dogs. It has covered just over 50,000 miles and has been serviced regularly. It has recently developed a fault whereby the ABS function appears to be working during normal braking, causing vibration through the pedal. The brake pads and discs were replaced at its 50k service, using genuine Lexus parts, and the service department (our nearest Lexus dealer is 140 miles away) can find no obvious fault to cause this. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what is causing it?

I have just started having the same on an '02 RX300 Series 1 (66,500 miles). A couple of weeks ago I had to do an emergency stop - maybe something gave way

I am off to the dealer later this week (serious wallet stress panic here :) )

I will let you know how I get on

Has anyone else had this?

Cheers

Stef

Hi I had a problem with my ABS, it is a RX 300 model year 2001, it was activating when I pulled away slowly, I took it into the Lexus dealership and they found that the airgap!!! on the sensor was incorrect, they cleaned and reset it and no problems over the last 8 months. it could be the same fault but causing a slightly different effect.

The most common cause of ABS faults on any car are the wheel sensors, the wiring to them and the accumulation of road crud that collects on both the sensors and the toothed wheel attached to the hub from which the sensor gets its signal to determine if a wheel is turning or locked up.

There is normally only 1 bolt securing the sensor and the gap between it and the toothed wheel is preset and not adjustable.

What happens is road dirt and magnetic particles collect on the end of the sensor giving an incorrect gap which causes the problem, a good clean normally helps.

Fronts are more suseptible than the rears.

The other possibility is a damaged tooth wheel ( missing or chipped teeth) but this is less common

The most common cause of ABS faults on any car are the wheel sensors, the wiring to them and the accumulation of road crud that collects on both the sensors and the toothed wheel attached to the hub from which the sensor gets its signal to determine if a wheel is turning or locked up.

There is normally only 1 bolt securing the sensor and the gap between it and the toothed wheel is preset and not adjustable.

What happens is road dirt and magnetic particles collect on the end of the sensor giving an incorrect gap which causes the problem, a good clean normally helps.

Fronts are more susceptible than the rears.

The other possibility is a damaged tooth wheel ( missing or chipped teeth) but this is less common

Many thanks Steve - I will keep my fingers crossed it is not chipped teeth! Will have a go at cleaning Thursday when I get back and see how it goes

Cheers

Stef

Hi I had a problem with my ABS, it is a RX 300 model year 2001, it was activating when I pulled away slowly, I took it into the Lexus dealership and they found that the airgap!!! on the sensor was incorrect, they cleaned and reset it and no problems over the last 8 months. it could be the same fault but causing a slightly different effect.

Sounds like it may be good news - and that maybe the old wallet will not get stressed as much as I feared, Grant :) (Here is hoping)

Many thanks fro taking time to share your experience

Cheers

Stef

Sounds like it may be good news - and that maybe the old wallet will not get stressed as much as I feared, Grant :) (Here is hoping)

Many thanks for taking time to share your experience

Cheers

Stef

Feedback as promised - and it is an 'ouch' moment.

I had my disks and pads replaced a year ago, together with the 60,000 mile service at an independent garage in Abingdon (having been assured they would use genuine Lexus parts)

The dealer yesterday confirms that the pads were not Lexus pads. Also, the shims and anti-rattle clips were missing. The brake fluid also had not been drained. They cleaned the sensor airgap - ABS problems still there. Doing all of this, and analysing why the ABS looks as if it comes on ended up with a bill of around £480 - and the problem has not been fixed.

I have been told I need a new ABS actuator unit - £870 ex VAT plus about £750 to fit it. Spending arond £2,000 on an '02 RX300 with 65,000 miles on it - hmmmm

Off to drown my sorrows

Cheers

Stef

• 4 months later...

.............. The other possibility is a damaged tooth wheel ( missing or chipped teeth) but this is less common

Hi Steve

How easy is it to check if the tooth wheel is chipped? My dealer should have spotted it, but my faith in them is a tad shaken since I spent £500 on their 'diagnosis' and they came up with no solution to the problem. The car is a dream - just that ABS kicking in when I brake. Interestingly, if I pump the brakes gently at times the ABS effect seems less (and yes, the dealer did drain the replace the brake fluid : ).

Any thoughts on what I could do to remedy it would be welcomed.

Cheers

Stef

• 8 months later...

Hello all - just a quick update. The tooth wheel that steve2006 kindly pointed me to above is the reluctor ring (no, I had not heard of it before either ;) )

After spending almost £500 at Lexus Swindon on trying to diagnose the fault (and that was after they removed and replaced almost new brake discs and pads (which were less than one year and 600 miles old) to correct the fault for a further cost of £279 "as these were not genuine Lexus parts"), they gave up with their advice being a conclusion that I should book the car in to have the ABS system replace (estimate given: parts £870 ex VAT plus about £750 labour) I baulked and looked further for advice.

For anyone in the Aylesbury area, I want to put in a good word for DS Automotives. I took the car in and at reception I described the symptoms and Vicky said "mmmm, sounds like it might be a reluctor ring". Dave took the car around the block. Within a couple of minutes he was back and said that he thought the reluctor ring was faulty, as just the passenger side rear wheel ABS was kicking in. On removing the wheel and closer inspection Dave confirmed that their suspicion was correct and we ordered the parts.

This diagnosis cost me nothing - just good professional reception and diagnosis. Compare that to £732 out of pocket at teh LExus dealer to not correct the fault!

In case anyone is interested in tackling this themselves, I found this excellent link on our sister forum in the USA.This company in the UK looks like they supply reluctor rings.

I hope this helps anyone looking to fix a similar problem

Cheers

Stef