Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Normal

hi all

i hope you guys can help me out on this :)

well

the is200 is my first rwd car so..

do any of you experience any back end wobble when going over pot holes?

i have a friend who had a bmw e30, e36,and know e46 says its all perfectly normal

its alright when under 35 mph

is they some think wrong with the car?

thanks in advance :D

wahid

hi all

i hope you guys can help me out on this :)

well

the is200 is my first rwd car so..

do any of you experience any back end wobble when going over pot holes?

i have a friend who had a bmw e30, e36,and know e46 says its all perfectly normal

its alright when under 35 mph

is they some think wrong with the car?

thanks in advance :D

wahid

Nope, never experienced that, but, only ever been over small ones I couldn't miss. Were yours big potholes???

Col

how do you mean by wobble?? EXACTLY what does the car do? have you checked your tyre pressures also?

rob yes i have 35 in all 4 tyres

col its when i go over big ones like (man holes)

the wobble its like the car goes side to side very very fast (thats the best way i can describe it) sorry :unsure:

thanks

wahid

how do you mean by wobble?? EXACTLY what does the car do? have you checked your tyre pressures also?

rob yes i have 35 in all 4 tyres

col its when i go over big ones like (man holes)

the wobble its like the car goes side to side very very fast (thats the best way i can describe it) sorry :unsure:

thanks

wahid

Maybe a dodgy shock????

If you mean like a very quick sidestep, then yes that's absolutely normal. If the car is physically wobbling, that doesn't sound right at all.
Maybe a dodgy shock????

col , had the shocks checked they fine

Parthiban, yes maybe its a very quick sidestep

why is it all ok under 40/35 mph? or even going over speed humps

theres no rattling noise

thanks guys

wahid

It's because that power's at the rear, so for a split second through the pothole it's doesn't have perfect traction. If it's is just the split second sidestep you're talking about that's perfectly normal.

I think wide tyres could be a reason as well, as our Merc which has 9.5" rears does it a lot more.

If your mate had an E36 that did it, it was worn trailing link bushes on the rear that allowed the rear suspension to move slightly as it loads and unloads on the wheel. Had that on my E36 325 Coupe until it was sorted. Whether it is normal on an IS, I've no idea but I wouldn't have thought so.

It's because that power's at the rear, so for a split second through the pothole it's doesn't have perfect traction. If it's is just the split second sidestep you're talking about that's perfectly normal.

I think wide tyres could be a reason as well, as our Merc which has 9.5" rears does it a lot more.

i have 225/45/17 bridgestone all 4 tyres

i gess i have wait for the mot which is next year april :crybaby:

thanks guys :D

Sway bars also known as anti roll bars. These will give your car less body roll in bends. seems to me this guys problem is in a straight line as hes suggesting speeds in excess of 35mph!!. The only time my car does what your explaining is under hard accelaration when one wheel looses traction kicking the car side ways slightly when it regains grip. Does it worse in the wet espesially over wet man hole covers. If your used to driving front wheel drive car you will have noticed the same effect with the steering wheel pulling to one side as you throttle hard. My front wheel drive coupe turbo is shocking for it.

For better rear grip i have changed tyre size on the rear to 245 40 17. run the tyres at 44 psi. But buy a quality tyre cheaper tyres have a week side wall and will wobble like hell in high speed bends. The bigger tyre size was suggested to me by my tyre supplier (supplier to the trade) who personally owned an is 200 and had contacted lexus and various tyre manufacturers and came up with the size and even a yokohama brand and a certain tread pattern.

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same issue mate, pretty alarming wobble when going over larger bumps in excess of 40mph.... mostly on motorways, going over a rolling bump in the road etc - car dips after the bump as normal, but wobbles left to right when rebounding...this happens on straights, corners wherever, but isn't present when goin less than 40mph...

Could it be shocks, sway bar, drop links? Did you ever resolve this issue mate?

I'm having the same issue mate, pretty alarming wobble when going over larger bumps in excess of 40mph.... mostly on motorways, going over a rolling bump in the road etc - car dips after the bump as normal, but wobbles left to right when rebounding...this happens on straights, corners wherever, but isn't present when goin less than 40mph...

Could it be shocks, sway bar, drop links? Did you ever resolve this issue mate?

ya mate i had the geo done by http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php and its been all good since

hope it helps

wahid

Cheers for the reply mate,

Do you know specifically what they did to fix it? Only I'm in Newcastle so Buckinghamshire is a bit too far for me lol

you can try one local to you mate http://www.blackboots.co.uk/order.php?step=5 in my case the rear wheels were all over the place

As said above, wheel alignment can cause these symptoms. Have it laser aligned - it'll feel like a different car. I get mine done every year or so. It'll also highlight any worn wheel alignment components in the process.

• 2 weeks later...