Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

In comparison to my previous couple of cars, my IS250 auto seems to take a long time to reach full operating temperature. This morning I checked and found that from a cold start it took 7 miles of driving at an average of around 35mph before the temperature gauge reached it's normal operating temperature.

Is this normal for the IS250 or should I have Lexus check the thermostat?

Many thanks

Roger

That does sound odd, I've never noticed courtesy cars to be any slower to warm up than my car, and my 7 year old IS200 will start giving warm air in less than a minute, and normal temp will be in around 5 mins like Steve said.

Is that when it's especially cold, or in conditions like we have at the moment?

Many thanks both.

Parthiban: My test yesterday morning was when the outside temperature gauge read 10C.

I think I'll get it checked out before the weather gets any colder.

I try not to exceed 2000 rpm until mine is up to normal operating temperature, and it doesn't take more than 5-6 minutes of driving (2 to 3 miles).

Mine takes about 5-7 miles to fully warm up, depending on temperature and type of driving.

This is noticably longer than any of my previous cars, but I just put it down to the engine size.

I remember reading something in the is250 service manual that the cars emissions are lowest when the engine is at the correct operating temperature, therefore, to aid warm up the 250 cleverly retards the ignition timing when cold to get the car to temperature quicker (not slower!!!!!). Hope this helps!

Many thanks both.

Parthiban: My test yesterday morning was when the outside temperature gauge read 10C.

I try not to exceed 2000 rpm until mine is up to normal operating temperature, and it doesn't take more than 5-6 minutes of driving (2 to 3 miles).

Not exceed 2000 rpm? wow, you drive that slow? :winky:

Well, It takes definately longer than 5-6 minutes for engine in my car to warm up. I don't idle my car in the morning and the first motorway ramp is like 3 minutes way. No way that I can keep rpm under 2000 LOL I just try to not exceed 3500 rpm :whistling:

Many thanks both.

Not exceed 2000 rpm? wow, you drive that slow? :winky:

Well, It takes definately longer than 5-6 minutes for engine in my car to warm up. I don't idle my car in the morning and the first motorway ramp is like 3 minutes way. No way that I can keep rpm under 2000 LOL I just try to not exceed 3500 rpm :whistling:

My first 2-3 miles in any direction from home is either a 30 mph limit or a 30 mph followed by a 40 mph, so it's no problem at all. I would like to think that's why my engine hasn't needed the top end rebuild TSIB.

Used to have a Europa and that twin cam Lotus sounded like a bucket of bolts if you exceeded 2000 rpm when cold. It was the car that got me into the habit. Hire cars on the other hand :whistling:

I would like to think that's why my engine hasn't needed the top end rebuild TSIB.

I treated mine like a baby Tango but still had the rattle ...........................luck of the draw !!!!