Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Needed

help needed and some advice please all....

ive snapped a wheel stud changing a wheel by over tightening the the nut when putting my front wheel on.

firstly is it ok to drive to work in the morn with only 4 bolts holding my wheel on, secondly whart part would i need to change what is it called and how much i likely to pay for the part, and finally best place to get this part so i can get this sorted ASAP

many thanks in advance for any pointers please..............

type in is200 hub into eBay, if buying used there are a few on there ranging from 25ish to 130ish, these appear to be entire assemblies though, ring lexus to find out the cheapest price for them to supply new only and then compare with local motor parts places, and scrap yards etc, then get someone cheap to fit it. as for driving it depends on you, i drive 70mph 200 miles per week and i would not drive it. but what else can you do, it should be fine BUT, WHAT IF pulled by cops or have an accident.some people will say it's perfectly safe some will say no, if you intend to drive it slow your speed/check for any vibrations/take a wheel brace to keep checking etc just be sensible

:winky: you will be ok driving to work with 4 studs, no problems....and what you need is another stud. not expensive from toyota/lexus.

esy to fit too. :whistling:

thanks for the quick reply how do i change the stud as it has snapped , with the other end in my wheel nut which is now off, and how do i just change the stud i have just been told that i would have to replace the whole hub!!!

was worried about driving it to work tommorow but thanks u have put my mind at rest..

type in is200 hub into ebay, if buying used there are a few on there ranging from 25ish to 130ish, these appear to be entire assemblies though, ring lexus to find out the cheapest price for them to supply new only and then compare with local motor parts places, and scrap yards etc, then get someone cheap to fit it. as for driving it depends on you, i drive 70mph 200 miles per week and i would not drive it. but what else can you do, it should be fine BUT, WHAT IF pulled by cops or have an accident.some people will say it's perfectly safe some will say no, if you intend to drive it slow your speed/check for any vibrations/take a wheel brace to keep checking etc just be sensible

thanks john for the reply will look on eBay now, have got no choice about driving to work as i work 25 miles away, but i will drive it slow until this is sorted, am i bettter to try and repalce the stud or get a whole new hub assembly???

but thank you for the quick respnse mate..............

if you ring lexus they will know what you mean and be able to advise on the cheapest part to supply to sort the problem, i'm not sure it is simple as replacing the snapped bolt (if it is then great should be able to dismantle easy enough but don't ask me lol). if it looks simple when/if you get the part then have a go yourself but make sure you don't mess anything up as a decent mechanic should sort in 5 mins for £20.i'm guessing as that hub is responsible for supporting 1/4 of the cars weight on 5 little bots then it maybe a larger more robust and costly fix.

hi mate phone up lexus and ask for a stud and a wheel bolt remove your wheel get a punch knock out the stud knock in the new one job done.. :winky:

the whole hub is not needed!!!!!!!!!!

no need to replace the whole hub... just knock the old one out and put the new one in...sounds easy.. yep it is, done a few of these on different cars and no problems...

but do not buy a full hub someone is talking BS...

no need to replace the whole hub... just knock the old one out and put the new one in...sounds easy.. yep it is, done a few of these on different cars and no problems...

thanks guys for the advice will ring around in the morn how much approx am i looking at for a new stud b4 i get quoted stupid prices for one and how long do u reckon it will take to re fit new stud toatl novice here lol !!!

thanks for the help much apreciated thought this would have been a major problem...

thanks guys for the advice will ring around in the morn how much approx am i looking at for a new stud b4 i get quoted stupid prices for one and how long do u reckon it will take to re fit new stud toatl novice here lol !!!

thanks for the help much apreciated thought this would have been a major problem...

a stud will be approx £10, depends on how many hammer swings it takes you to knock it out :winky: it woult take me approx 1 good swing to knock it out and 1 to knock it back in so all in approx 10mins from start to finish.honestly very easy. B)

also get yourself a torque wrench you wont snap anymore studs :winky:

BS???, never implied i was any expert or gave that impression, just advised it MAY be not so simple due to the job that bolt is doing, but i am glad it is, as i say lexus can advise what was the cheapest part (turns out a just a bolt) and i would advise someone local and cheap to sort, appears probably only a five min job but probably book half an hour. just done some research 10 mins ago on honest john and they advised similar on a fiesta.

a stud will be approx £10, depends on how many hammer swings it takes you to knock it out :winky: it woult take me approx 1 good swing to knock it out and 1 to knock it back in so all in approx 10mins from start to finish.honestly very easy. B)

also get yourself a torque wrench you wont snap anymore studs :winky:

also depends on the size of the hammer too :whistling:

BS???, never implied i was any expert or gave that impression, just advised it MAY be not so simple due to the job that bolt is doing, but i am glad it is, as i say lexus can advise what was the cheapest part (turns out a just a bolt) and i would advise someone local and cheap to sort, appears probably only a five min job but probably book half an hour. just done some research 10 mins ago on honest john and they advised similar on a fiesta.

was not implying it was you just that I am having approx 3 conversations on the go and watching a film :shifty:

thanks again for the quick replies i will get a stud tommorow and i will get either a mechanic to sort it for me or i will have a go myself!!! i take it the bolt would be asy enough to hammer in......i did buy some toyoat alloys for it so i could refurb mine but after takin my wheel off i realised that they would not go on thats why i'm in this mess in the first place lol!!! i thought toyota and lexus were the same wheel fitment but i was totally wrong!!!

but thanks anyway

42oz matey i dont use a sweetie hammer lol..........i'm good with a hammer now but as a laddie i had very sore hands!!hit them more than what i was ment to be hammering!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks again for the quick replies i will get a stud tommorow and i will get either a mechanic to sort it for me or i will have a go myself!!! i take it the bolt would be asy enough to hammer in......i did buy some toyoat alloys for it so i could refurb mine but after takin my wheel off i realised that they would not go on thats why i'm in this mess in the first place lol!!! i thought toyota and lexus were the same wheel fitment but i was totally wrong!!!

but thanks anyway

you can hammer in then put the nut on and tighten it up and that will draw the stud into the hub,why wont the toyota wheels go on?and off what toyota?ie avensis,corolla?

42oz matey i dont use a sweetie hammer lol..........i'm good with a hammer now but as a laddie i had very sore hands!!hit them more than what i was ment to be hammering!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:offtopic: are we on about the same thing here :whistling: :winky: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: B) :hehe:

no worries mate, some jobs when they should be simple are nightmares and costly, i believe like ford cougar wishbones take hours more labour due to subframes etc, and i also think a-class merc starter motor change is engine out job, as also i think clutch on volvo t5 etc.

no worries mate, some jobs when they should be simple are nightmares and costly, i believe like ford cougar wishbones take hours more labour due to subframes etc, and i also think a-class merc starter motor change is engine out job, as also i think clutch on volvo t5 etc.

head gasket on a rav4 2.2 d4d you get 17 hours to do!!!!engine out.

but thanks anyway

you can hammer in then put the nut on and tighten it up and that will draw the stud into the hub,why wont the toyota wheels go on?and off what toyota?ie avensis,corolla?

hi mate the toyota is an avensis i thought because it had the same 5 stud pattern and most of the parts are the same they would go straight on but i tried all ways to get them on but only 2 studs lined up and the other 3 did not..............

but thanks anyway

hi mate the toyota is an avensis i thought because it had the same 5 stud pattern and most of the parts are the same they would go straight on but i tried all ways to get them on but only 2 studs lined up and the other 3 did not..............

:whistling: me thinks they don't fit then...but ORMI the toyota geez will tell ya why... :shifty: