Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lumpy Tickover, Pinking Noise And Lack Of Power

this is my second 430 - this one is an 04 model - over the last few months it has developed a slight vibration on tickover, but the main problem is an intermittent fault when i put my foot down to overtake.

i can hear a rattle come from the engine - which i can only describe as a pinking noise - the car doesnt take off smoothly like it should then it drops a couple of gears and starts pulling hard from about 5000rpm. so i have no power at 2000rpm then nothing until it drops 2 gears which doesnt make for a smooth ride and while the car is hesitating at 2000rpm i never know if its going to pick up and go or not - which can make overtaking a bit scary

car went back to lexus whilst under warranty and they found nothing wrong and charged £60. i think all they checked was the plugs. they suggested it may be the petrol and to try to stick to one brand long enough to try and eliminate problems.

my nearest branded petrol is shell and that seems to make the problem worse, supermarket fuel makes no difference and neither does total

anyone any ideas????????????

this is my second 430 - this one is an 04 model - over the last few months it has developed a slight vibration on tickover, but the main problem is an intermittent fault when i put my foot down to overtake.

i can hear a rattle come from the engine - which i can only describe as a pinking noise - the car doesnt take off smoothly like it should then it drops a couple of gears and starts pulling hard from about 5000rpm. so i have no power at 2000rpm then nothing until it drops 2 gears which doesnt make for a smooth ride and while the car is hesitating at 2000rpm i never know if its going to pick up and go or not - which can make overtaking a bit scary

car went back to lexus whilst under warranty and they found nothing wrong and charged £60. i think all they checked was the plugs. they suggested it may be the petrol and to try to stick to one brand long enough to try and eliminate problems.

my nearest branded petrol is shell and that seems to make the problem worse, supermarket fuel makes no difference and neither does total

anyone any ideas????????????

Is it giving any OBD diagnostic codes? You would need a reader , or take it to a garage, doesn't need to be a Lexus shop

A common problem on other VVTI engines is the actuator unit for altering the camshaft timing these are normally hydraulic using the engine oil pressure to operate and do fail.

With the symptoms you have i.e poor performance at low RPM and pinking ( this in an indication of incorrect timing although I would have expected the ECU to fault code a knock sensor error on the pinking) I would start in this area.

Does the car have FLSH and is the oil the correct grade?

It happened on my 93 plate 400, when i pulled out of side streets or garages into a main road, and i've had those same scary overtaking moments of being a sitting duck if it doesnt get going in a second....... :yahoo: :o :blink::wacko::unsure:

It didnt make a distinct noise or dropped gears really, i usually got to 2nd gear myself in panic

It turned out to be blocked m.a.f. outlets

Dont know your model, youd have to ask on here if you can sort it as easy as our type

• 2 weeks later...

not getting any error codes at all. car has got full lexus service history so would expect it to have the right oil etc.

when i took it back to lexus they reset the ecu and could find no fault - im assuming timing would have shown up as quite a basic check - so no further forward?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links