Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Early Days Of Ownership

Got the car home without it getting wet, gave it a wash to get the dust off, dried it and shoved it in the garage, following day as much as I wanted to take it out I thought I’d give it a good wax whilst it was pristine. Read a lot on here about what sort of wax to use, Chandru’s post on “ My Is 250 All clean “ mentioned products I’ve never heard of, I looked back at some old threads then took the easy route, followed Honest John’s recommendation and bought Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection from Halfords, three for the price of two, gave the car three coats of the polish then put on the gloss protection which is a liquid as opposed to a cream, let it dry for a couple of hours then buffed it up, it certainly looks well so will see how it lasts.

Was offered Supaguard but I reckon 50% is profit and 30% labour, I can supply the elbow grease so that’s 80% of the cost gone, the other 20% goes on the product and the big bag of goodies they give you. I had Superguard a few years ago on a new car, they were flogging it cheap, we have problems with sap from trees and bird lime, I thought it may help, it didn’t at all, in fact I was not much impressed with the stuff, only my opinion.

Started the car up after having it in the garage for thirty six hours and it shot up to 2000 revs, at every junction the engine was racing, after a while it slowed down to 1500. Went on a journey, 30 miles and when got back home it was still running fast. I then sussed out what I’d done, when I got the car home after collecting it and in between lavishing it with Autoglym I’d spent a load of time playing around with the radio, cd and mp3 player. I set the seating positions and made various adjustments, this must have taken a load of juice out of the Battery, some clever device in this car told the engine to put this power back into the Battery by increasing the revs, at least that’s my theory. It’s fine now.

Nice work mate, not sure you need to use super resin polish on a brand new car - that's a cutting polish that you'd normally use to remove swirl marks and the like.

The extra gloss protection is great stuff, but make sure you put a few coats of a good quality wax on top to seal in all your hard work!

Nice work mate, not sure you need to use super resin polish on a brand new car - that's a cutting polish that you'd normally use to remove swirl marks and the like.

The extra gloss protection is great stuff, but make sure you put a few coats of a good quality wax on top to seal in all your hard work!

Thanks Parthiban.

Like I said, not much knowledge on wax's etc so followed Honest John's advice plus gleaned informatiom from Autoglym's website before buying, you may well be correct though, after all Autoglym do have a product to sell.

Thanks Parthiban.

Like I said, not much knowledge on wax's etc so followed Honest John's advice plus gleaned informatiom from Autoglym's website before buying, you may well be correct though, after all Autoglym do have a product to sell.

Sorry if I was misleading, super resin polish is great stuff but you shouldn't really need it on a new car as the paintwork should be perfect!

EGP is fantastic though, but the gloss finish won't last several washes unless you protect it with a good top wax coat - collinite 476 is a good hardwearing one :)

Thanks Parthiban.

Sorry if I was misleading, super resin polish is great stuff but you shouldn't really need it on a new car as the paintwork should be perfect!

EGP is fantastic though, but the gloss finish won't last several washes unless you protect it with a good top wax coat - collinite 476 is a good hardwearing one :)

Thanks for that I'll get some and get it on before the EGP wears off. It's all pay out aint it.

Your revs problem won't be the ecu adjusting for Battery charge. Take it out again tomorrow and try it. Check the mat isn't slipping on the accelerator as well. When you have taken it on a run it should be down to about 800 rpm. If it's not an you have an auto ( I can't remember ) you are going to have to use the brakes a lot to stop it shooting forward all the time.

Your revs problem won't be the ecu adjusting for battery charge. Take it out again tomorrow and try it. Check the mat isn't slipping on the accelerator as well. When you have taken it on a run it should be down to about 800 rpm. If it's not an you have an auto ( I can't remember ) you are going to have to use the brakes a lot to stop it shooting forward all the time.

Thanks Steve, it's an auto and for whatever reason it did it, it's not doing it now. Ticks over at about 800 after a few minutes and just creeps forward very slowly on the flat and holds on a slight gradient.