Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Sound From Front Drivers Side Wheel

Hi guys. For a while my IS200 SE has been making a strange kind of whining noise from the front drivers side wheel, usually when i'm driving above 50mph and turning left a bit (motorway, carriageway etc.) but I thought very little of it because I've been so busy with other commitments.

Now, I am getting a sort of grinding sound from the wheel now whenever I'm driving and at all speeds, is it possibly a wheel bearing and if so how much can I expect to pay for parts and labour?

Cheers

Probably wheel bearing, lift the wheel off the ground and spin it and also try moving back and forward holding the top and bottom. Grinding could be either the wheel bearing is digintegrating or a problem with break pads wearing badly, so inspect break and discs at the same time with the wheel removed.

Probably wheel bearing, lift the wheel off the ground and spin it and also try moving back and forward holding the top and bottom. Grinding could be either the wheel bearing is digintegrating or a problem with break pads wearing badly, so inspect break and discs at the same time with the wheel removed.

Thanks for the help, I'll check those today before I go to work. Cheers again

Well I inspected the wheel as per your advice and found that it does wobble slightly from top to bottom when pushed whereas the passengers side doesn't move at all. I checked the brakes, all is well with them for now. As I can't afford to change the bearing yet are there any dangers with continuing to use the car as its my daily get-around for work?

Well I inspected the wheel as per your advice and found that it does wobble slightly from top to bottom when pushed whereas the passengers side doesn't move at all. I checked the brakes, all is well with them for now. As I can't afford to change the bearing yet are there any dangers with continuing to use the car as its my daily get-around for work?

Ones I know are, The bearing will continue to wear more quickly, wheel may start to wobble, will generate heat, noise will get progressively worse and last of all bearing may shatter. I'd drive slower till you get it fixed, or, borrow some money to get it done mate.

Col.................

Oh bugger, thats got me worried now. If I just order the parts can I do it myself or are some special tools needed because I could just about afford the bearing kit but not the labour charge a garage will hit me with? Are the kits sold on eBay any good such as these, item numbers 220296533072, 330210745512, 220456264136, 220456264144 or 220456263043? I got a quote back from Lexus parts direct and they quoted me £112.56 for the bearing, snap ring, oil seal and cap which seems a lot considering they're around £20 for some cars

If they are anything like other wheel bearings I have looked at, you will need a hydraulic press and an assortment of different sized rings to get the old one out and the new on in. Other than that, the only other cost saver would be to remove the whole hub assembly and take that along to a garage to change the bearing over.

If they are anything like other wheel bearings I have looked at, you will need a hydraulic press and an assortment of different sized rings to get the old one out and the new on in. Other than that, the only other cost saver would be to remove the whole hub assembly and take that along to a garage to change the bearing over.

even that wouldn't save yer much. Best to just bite the bullet..

Col

????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah I checked the passenger side, there was no play in that at all. I also checked the brakes while the wheel was off and they were fine. Guess I'll have to try get the cash from somewhere and get it in a garage ASAP. Thanks for all your help guys

• 5 weeks later...

Well finally got it sorted (cost me £160 though). The garage said the bearing was hanging off by the time I got it done so I need new tyres and the tracking done for the MOT in February. Thanks for all the help guys