Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The petrol smell I had recently has now much diminished since the repair. I assume it will soon be completely gone but it certainly lingers.

Whilst I was cleaning the interior the other day I removed the floor mats. I discovered the floor was wet in the offside rear passenger footwell. I put my hand down the gap between the seat cushion and back rest and the foam padding etc was well wet. It seemed a good idea to remove the rear backrest as I might then also be able to see if there was any gap that had allowed petrol fumes into the cab from the tank.

After removing five bolts I thought the backrest would pull away but no luck. It might be a matter of leaving well alone as it could be a beggar to get back? Has anyone any experience of removing the rear seat in the ’95 LS400 Mk3?

I took the car down to my garage owning pal and he said a common cause of water leaks is the sunroof and he put an airline on the two holes at the front of the sunroof assembly and they appeared to be free. He said there will be two at the back but we couldn’t see any. Seems odd if they need checking occasionally that they are not more evident. Does anyone know where the outlets for them are so I can pour some water on the sunroof and see what happens.

He also said that as I park the car tail down on a fairly steep drive if the back ones are blocked it could cause a leak.

Any thoughts anyone?

The petrol smell I had recently has now much diminished since the repair. I assume it will soon be completely gone but it certainly lingers.

Whilst I was cleaning the interior the other day I removed the floor mats. I discovered the floor was wet in the offside rear passenger footwell. I put my hand down the gap between the seat cushion and back rest and the foam padding etc was well wet. It seemed a good idea to remove the rear backrest as I might then also be able to see if there was any gap that had allowed petrol fumes into the cab from the tank.

After removing five bolts I thought the backrest would pull away but no luck. It might be a matter of leaving well alone as it could be a beggar to get back? Has anyone any experience of removing the rear seat in the ’95 LS400 Mk3?

I took the car down to my garage owning pal and he said a common cause of water leaks is the sunroof and he put an airline on the two holes at the front of the sunroof assembly and they appeared to be free. He said there will be two at the back but we couldn’t see any. Seems odd if they need checking occasionally that they are not more evident. Does anyone know where the outlets for them are so I can pour some water on the sunroof and see what happens.

He also said that as I park the car tail down on a fairly steep drive if the back ones are blocked it could cause a leak.

Any thoughts anyone?

The rear sunroof outlets are in the boot either side of the spare wheel well by the wheel arches 2 plastic tubes I have never heared of one getting wet inside the cabin though.

Popular fault is the boot lid seal, have had water in the left side rear.

I drilled a hole and made a little drain in case it happens again, then Waxoyled it .

Pull out the corner covers under the carpet and check..

As always, many thanks for the helpful advice.

Manic Mark

I will look for the back two sunroof outlets in the boot and see if I can blow up them so to speak.! I do have a compressor.

Royt

I am beginning to think it may be a boot seal problem. Standing at the back of the car there are some rather attractive flaired top front corners just under the rear window. The offside corner is quite a bit higher than the surrounding bodywork ie not level with the body work as the rest of the boot lid is.

Thanks to steveskeggy I now know how to adjust the boot lid so I am going to also try that.

Steveskeggy

Thanks a million for the info. BO 34 told me how to adjust the boot lid. Re bolts. I see what you mean but I have only found five. Will have another search as soon as.

Chris Skelton

Re Boot Seals - I’ve seen this before in the forum but didn’t need it so took little notice. If I do have to use silicone exactly where do I apply it? Not just a bead along the top of the rubber surely?

Reflecting on when the leak happened. I washed the car with a hose for the first time recently and I was a bit over enthusiastic as I remember. I’ll bet I flooded it around the boot lid.

My wife has recently undergone a cancer op and as a result starting today we have to attend for Radio Therapy Treatment every day for the next three weeks. As it’s a 100 mile round trip plus a bus journey and the waiting/treatment time virtually the day is taken up.

There is a bright side though. I get to drive the Lexus 100 miles everyday for the next three weeks.

We also have an old but reliable Honda Civic and my wife has pointed out it would be cheaper to go in that so my days may be numbered!

Thanks again for all your help.

My first LS was a Mk IV LS400. The day I went to pick it up, they gave it a lovely clean all over culminating in the young lad going at it with a high pressure hose. The next thing, they were presenting me with a half flooded boot! Boot lid seals are the likely suspects here, I think.

Best of luck to you and your wife in her recovery.

Chris

Hi Nottingham..

forest or county?

When floor is wet, feel all over the roof carpet for damp also......and the nearest window pillar

I had the same water in car syndrome....randomly to make it more awkward

i got a random fault of the sunroof not closing fully although the 'open window' bells dont go off and it looks shut when you get out.

a quick open & close of the roof usually sufficed but you never know when it will happen again

It was usually just lots of condensation inside the car if left outside, or it kept steaming up when you're in it. Sometimes it was a 8" wet patch above your head or the pasenger side.

I finally losty my rag when it was left at work once and i noticed the back passenger footwell was soaked...(the car sloped that way too), i got a plastic board and i could wring the roof out constantly for a few minutes with lots of water running down my hands everytime...it was that wet.

That was 18 months ago and it hasnt happened since even in heavy rain????

still havent sourced the fault as all looks fine.

I think its when it rains heavy enough to form pools on the sunroof seals, it goes down the outside of the seals too and not just inside to the drainage pipes. This causes water to get into gaps it shouldnt and proceeds to your inner roof lining, down one of the window pillars and onto the floor, (witnessed with my own eyes!) it depends how you are parked

sorry i cant help anymore, thats just my experience of it