Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres.....am I The Only One Struggling?

I am due for some new tyres...trying to keep to OEM i ruled out brdgestones and tried to get some dunlop SP270. I cant get these anywhere even lexus cannot supply them at the mo....Couple of internet sites will fit these for just over £150.

So then i started looking at alternatives. Decided on some hankooks RH06 at just £86 delivered! only to be told they are on 6 to 8 week delivery (camskill prices very good though!)

I have since been offered a set of dunlop SP270's fitted for £100 each. They are however only H rated (up to 132mph)

Any thought on this much appreciated.....or is anyone else struggling to get tyres?

Short of putting some Nankang's on i am struggling

I was going to go down the Bridgestone Potenza route when a couple of friends suggested I give the Kumho KL51's a go. I now have these on the rear and shall be very soon be putting them on the front as well. I managed to get the 51's for a shade under £100. I got them from a place in Leicester so if you want to make a trip this way let me know and i'll dig up their details.

Ta.

Most i've paid was 300 fitted for 4 michellin's...i thought it was a bit steep compared to the old cavalier tyres i used to buy but they were a good compound and did last years. But the guy said its an unpopular size, jags have same problems apparently

My latest rear two are an unknown type (cheapo), but were only 50 each fitted and balanced, o and they had to grind the old rubber off cos i keep getting slow punctures.....i'll see how long these last for 50 quid. They are not as good a shape as the michellins, they look softer and are more rounded between top & side walls....

I had 2 x Bridgestone Potenza's fitted for just over £300 - not the cheapest but I am always wary of the fact the tyres are the only thing in contact with the road and the difference in stopping distance, fuel economy etc are quite great between tyres.

Not all tyres are equal and IMO are one of the most important parts of the car - most of the ones you listed all sound fine to me though.

As if on cue Autoexpress has just done a comparison of some SUV tyres; ok they don't have the Bridgestone ones and they are more concerned with small SUV's but it helps show the difference tyres can make:

SUV Tyre Test

The Wet stopping test showed that the difference between the best and worst tyre (Continental and Hankook in this test) was that when the car had stopped on the Continentals it was still travelling at THIRTY MPH on the Hankook's! Wet Braking Test

Anyway thought it might be an interesting read for anyone choosing tyres.....drive safe :)

Great info thanks for that.....waiting for the large SUV one now.

Your welcome; given the tyres they tested were 235/55 R17 and the RX isn't that much larger/heavier than a RAV4/Tiguan and runs 235/55 R18 I would imagine results would be pretty similar, annoying they didn't include Bridgestones in it :(

• 2 weeks later...

Conti's are possibly the best tyres for the RX (IMHO) as they are proper UHP spec. - as fitted to Cayenne.

My favourite tyre (thanks to Costco) are Michelins, however Michelin UK do not make a tyre for the RX :(

• 3 weeks later...
I've been quoted £91.00 each fitted for Kumho KL51s for my RX300. Birmingham company. Any one with further experiences of this tyre?

Take a look at this review

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...enture+APT+KL51

Do be aware though, this is a tyre (tire!) primarily designed for the US market and as such may not perform to the standards the european customer has come to expect, then again if you only drive around at 5/10ths of the cars limit ALL of the time it should provide perfectly good service. Don't forget most US tyres come with a 60K/100K mileage wear warranty.......that should tell you enough about US conditions :whistling:

Best regards David

I've been quoted £91.00 each fitted for Kumho KL51s for my RX300. Birmingham company. Any one with further experiences of this tyre?

Take a look at this review

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...enture+APT+KL51

Do be aware though, this is a tyre (tire!) primarily designed for the US market and as such may not perform to the standards the european customer has come to expect, then again if you only drive around at 5/10ths of the cars limit ALL of the time it should provide perfectly good service. Don't forget most US tyres come with a 60K/100K mileage wear warranty.......that should tell you enough about US conditions :whistling:

Best regards David

Thanks David. Useful.