Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Birmingham

TommyH

Hi, i replied to an E-bay seller ( Lexus Birmingham ) that the timing belt change was infact 60,000 miles not 100,00 as they described, this is the reply they sent.

Dear tommy20165,

Hi, don't know where you have got your information from, but it is incorrect, service interval change as stated on our Lexus service spec sheets is every 100,000 miles or 6 years which ever comes sooner. Vehicles prior to 2000, which are on service schedule of 9000 mile/12 months services are due to be changed every 63,000 miles, but vehicles after are 100,000. I can email you a copy of the spec sheet if you wish.

As a Lexus dealer we would not give out incorrect information.

But thanks for your comments, Regards Jo Mitchell

Parts Manager,Lexus Birmingham

What do you think ?

As a Merc mechanic who deals with a terrible parts department an awful lot. 99% of parts man have no clue what so ever. The rare partsman who know there stuff are worth there weight in gold!

Might be an idea to ring Lexus Birmingham Service department and get them to correct parts!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, i replied to an E-bay seller ( Lexus Birmingham ) that the timing belt change was infact 60,000 miles not 100,00 as they described, this is the reply they sent.

Dear tommy20165,

Hi, don't know where you have got your information from, but it is incorrect, service interval change as stated on our Lexus service spec sheets is every 100,000 miles or 6 years which ever comes sooner. Vehicles prior to 2000, which are on service schedule of 9000 mile/12 months services are due to be changed every 63,000 miles, but vehicles after are 100,000. I can email you a copy of the spec sheet if you wish.

As a Lexus dealer we would not give out incorrect information.

But thanks for your comments, Regards Jo Mitchell

Parts Manager,Lexus Birmingham

What do you think ?

Your Lexus dealer is in fact correct, the timing belt on the IS200 is at 100000 miles or 6 years old, whichever comes first. As most IS200's reach 6 yrs old they are usually around the 60000 service time hence the confusion.

Hope this helps.

Nope incorrect info there.

There is enough evidence on this forum to suggest that the timing belt on the IS200 can fail before 100k/6 years.

If you contact Lexus GB directly they will advise you that the timing belt on the IS200 needs to be changed at 60k or 6 years, whichever comes first. When the IS200 was released back in 1999, Lexus advised that the timing belt was good for 100k or 10 years. This was then revised to 100k or 6 years, but there have been some cases of IS200's timing belts breaking before hitting 100k. The latest revision is now that the timing belt needs changing at 60k or 6 years (whichever comes first).

The IS300 timing belt is good for 100k/10 years as far as I know.

There is enough evidence on this forum to suggest that the timing belt on the IS200 can fail before 100k/6 years.

If you contact Lexus GB directly they will advise you that the timing belt on the IS200 needs to be changed at 60k or 6 years, whichever comes first. When the IS200 was released back in 1999, Lexus advised that the timing belt was good for 100k or 10 years. This was then revised to 100k or 6 years, but there have been some cases of IS200's timing belts breaking before hitting 100k. The latest revision is now that the timing belt needs changing at 60k or 6 years (whichever comes first).

Just received an email from Lexus technical and they have sent a copy of the current service checklist for the IS200 and it states......"replace timing belt - every 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever is sooner)"

This is also applicable to the 01 on IS300.

I can email a copy to anyone who wants to see this.

• 1 month later...

Just received an email from Lexus technical and they have sent a copy of the current service checklist for the IS200 and it states......"replace timing belt - every 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever is sooner)"

Hi mate,

can you forward this to me?

ill PM you my email add

Timing belt change is definitely 6yrs or 100,000 miles.

Below is a copy of the check sheet from my last service dated March this year

4171989869_22bb70c2c0_b.jpg

Note the revision date on the edge of this form, 2007.

Hope this clears the arguments up.

Dave.

Hi mate,

can you forward this to me?

ill PM you my email add

Done :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding was that he revision was not 100% you must, but the advised the mechanics to check the belt earlier as they had had issues with the idler wearing and causing the belt to move and wear on a cover or something, which shredded the belt.

I think this only affected cars upto something like 2003 though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links