Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Towed Twice In 3 Month

KWT100

Hi all,

I am new to the site as a contributor, however have found it very useful for obtaining info in the past, so thanks to all contributors. I would like to find out has anyone else experienced a similar level of problems as to what I have with their IS220D. The car was bought new in June 2006. Since the warranity expired in June 2009 the car has now had to have been towed twice. The most recent problem showed as VSC, I am now being told that a 3year old car needs work carried out to the tune of appx 2.5K, I am obviously horrified at this, anyway I am talking to Lexus in the hope that something can be done. However this does not get away from the fact that I am experiencing severe reliability problems with my car, not to mention the inconvenience of being left withot your car for 6days and counting. I would just like to know how isolated or not this particular case is.

Have to admit there have been a lot of complaints about the 220d, but never heard anything quite that severe - to need it to be towed twice in 3 months is quite excessive, as is the repair bill.

If it was me I'd be pushing Lexus GB pretty hard for that repair work to be done free (or at least a substantial proportion) as a goodwill gesture as it's so soon after the warranty expired.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Well I had a long list of problems that built up over the 3 years while my car was under warranty (Sept 2006). And this year just before the warranty expired they changed the clutch, water-pump, and rebuit the engine (the engine block and the head gasket were replaced). I have written 2 very "disappointing" letters to Lexus Europe in Belgium and Holland (since I am based in NL) complaining about the quality of the car (diesel) and I asked them for an extended warranty for 2 years, even if I had to pay for it. Well after another 2 letters, the Lexus-importer agreed to give me full power-train warranty or 150k KM free of charge (engine, transmission, differential).

This is the only reason that prevented me from selling the car, but it will happen eventually when I have 6 months warranty left.

Good luck, I hope this helps. Mind u persistence pays eventually, I guess, although this should not be required for a Lexus.

Cheers,

Adrian

• 3 months later...

Hi, im new to this site but wanted to share my problems. my IS220d (2007) has been to Lexus 3 times within 3 months, first happened when the car was just over 2 years old. Check VSC, lost power and warning lights on, it was the EGR valve. a few weeks after that same again, check VSC, lost power etc, the other EGR valve. few weeks after...same again, this time it was the catalyst and the EGR valve (same valve as first problem) that was replaced. then a few months later car lost power and was juddering, turbo pipe had come off, RAC fixed this. basically had over 5k worth of work on the car luckily under warranty. had a moan to Lexus and have an extra years warranty on the car and next service free. This is the first and last time I will buy a Lexus!! all i keep being told is that this isn't normal with the IS, they are usually reliable....yeah right!!

Sounds like another horrible experience, to be fair it's definitely not normally true of Lexus, they really dropped the ball with the 220d and it's clearly done some damage to the brand........

Sounds like another horrible experience, to be fair it's definitely not normally true of Lexus, they really dropped the ball with the 220d and it's clearly done some damage to the brand........

This VSC problem is becoming a problem with the early 2005 -06 GS cars too. My car had a VSC message which cost £3K to fix.

Hi, im new to this site but wanted to share my problems. my IS220d (2007) has been to Lexus 3 times within 3 months, first happened when the car was just over 2 years old. Check VSC, lost power and warning lights on, it was the EGR valve. a few weeks after that same again, check VSC, lost power etc, the other EGR valve. few weeks after...same again, this time it was the catalyst and the EGR valve (same valve as first problem) that was replaced. then a few months later car lost power and was juddering, turbo pipe had come off, RAC fixed this. basically had over 5k worth of work on the car luckily under warranty. had a moan to Lexus and have an extra years warranty on the car and next service free. This is the first and last time I will buy a Lexus!! all i keep being told is that this isn't normal with the IS, they are usually reliable....yeah right!!

oh, also forgot to mention that the car was burning oil and had a full engine rebuild too. would appear that this is common with this model!

Car came back from Lexus today after having 30k service and first MOT, passed MOT but only to be told that....as an advisory.... the front brake discs are slightly worn as are the pads. i have heard a few things about discs too, not sure whether these are covered in the warranty?

• 6 months later...

I was very surprised to find out today that my 2006 IS220d also needs a new head gasket and engine block. What is the problem that causes this? I only thought I had some MPG problems!

They are getting back to me with a decision from Lexus GB as to whether they will cover it out of warranty, what do people think my chances are? The dealership sounded very positive...

head gasket will damage when car overheats a lot, or when heats up very quickly (eg. instant fast driving with cold engine).

Also it could be manufacturers failure.

I know about one IS220d with new head and head gasket - changed for free (few kms after 100.000km, thus not in warranty anymore)

why they want to change also engine block is for me unknown, perhaps the car was consuming lot of water through broken gasket and the damage is severe also within the block.

I hope for you they changed if for free...

Please don`t write off ALL Lexus models on the back of a shoddy 220D.

I too wish I hadn`t bothered with this one but I guess I went for it because I had a GS300 sport a few years ago and never had one bit of bother with it. Lexus has a pretty good reputation but is losing it fast with this model.