Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Continually Flashing Airbag Light

Hello.

Well here goes, my first post on this forum. Looks excellent I have to say

I have a 1999 LS400 and the airbag light flashes continuously. Sort of a slow flash. On for 3 seconds then off for 1......Never stops doing it though

Wondering if anyone had any ideas before I get it looked at?

Thanks in advance

Hi Welcome to the LOC,

There are lists of fault codes for the earlier LS400s but yours will be OBDII so of no use.

If you know a local garage ( doesn't have to be Lexus) with a suitable code reader ask them to read for any stored codes which may give you a clue.

If you have recently bought the car and adjusted the seat position a common problem on a lot of cars are the connectors under the seat which having been undisturbed for years suddenly get upset when the seat is moved.

It may be worth checking underneath the seat.

Bear in mind this is the airbag system we are talking about here so before doing anything take the necessary precautions to prevent accidental activation, this normally comprises of disconnecting the Battery ( make sure you have any radio/ security codes to hand) and leaving for 30 minutes for the backup system to deactivate.

If you are in any doubt leave it to the professionals!!!

Alright Des?

If you just bought it recently check reciepts for any type of electrical jobs or work concerning the dash....

On the older models (mines a K plate), we have a common fault with the flickering dash (shouldnt've been your troubles!!) and when we take the dash out, we are told never to turn the key to ign as this causes the airbag light to come on and its around 100quid to turn off.

Someone may have done some work and started the car possibly with some connectors unplugged.

But it sounds with your model that a trip to a garage is enevitable, dont just let them do any extra work if its not a simple case of resetting (try the disconnect batt for half hr 1st tho!!).

If they say its this or its that (hours of labour looming) then ask them for the code/codes it gave them and post them on here for any clues or knowledge

Good luck mate

I wouldn't disconnect the Battery without the codes, I heard the code is part of the VIN number but would confirm this first, if you present the VIN to a Lexus dealer with proof of ownership they should be able to tell you the codes if required.

Hello.

Well here goes, my first post on this forum. Looks excellent I have to say

I have a 1999 LS400 and the airbag light flashes continuously. Sort of a slow flash. On for 3 seconds then off for 1......Never stops doing it though

Wondering if anyone had any ideas before I get it looked at?

Thanks in advance

You could always take the bulb out...... :whistling:

Doesn't a flashing airbag light usually mean it's possibly dangerous to drive as a serious fault with airbag?

If it's constantly lit- fault but de-activated and not a danger?

Suggesting taking out a bulb or covering up is a little irresponsible IMO - an airbag isan explosive device and I would get the fault checked out first.