Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New To Lexus, Advice Please On Is200

RV2uk

Hello

I'm thinking of part exing my car in for an IS200, I have my eye on a 2000 LEXUS IS 2.0 SE with styling kit @ 139k for £3990

It's from a trade seller, although he only has the service history (Lexus) upto 65k

As I've read on here, high mileage isn't a problem as long as there's FSH, so aside from the obvious cambelt change, could somebody advise me on what else I should look for?

I've read that IS200's develop clutch judder, alloys corroding, and something about having a few spare keys too, things like this I would appreciate some advice

I'm pretty wary regards service history, and the fact that I will be taking a gamble part exing a very good astra 2.2 sri (in vauxhall terms of course)

Cheers in advance

Hi,

Bought my 2001 Lexus IS200 SE back in August, 85k on the clock and paid £3200 for it (trade), it had service history up to 45k from that point on they did the servicing themselves. I didnt find it was a problem, my partner services most of our vehicles, so he had a good look over it before we bought the car.

If you know anyone who knows a thing or two about cars and the mechanics of it, get them to have a look over it.

Touch wood so far mine is doing ok... doesnt like starting when its cold, but apart from that it runs smoothly

Stace

IN MY OPINION, i think the car is too over priced due to the milage and age.

i paid about £1500-2000 less than garage price for my car an it is a 2002 se,56k flsh. styling kit etc...

if i was you i would try an get the price down or look at a few others. dont rush into buying a car...the wait will be worth it in the end. :)

oh yeah a common fault on the lexus is the FRONT brake discs. THE CAR MY VIBRATE WHEN BRAKING. so they need to be replaced.

Think you pretty much covered the common faults ther RV2uk,

only other thing i would add is the stereo (take a old cd with you and try it in as these do pack in and eat your disc's)

the clutch judder is not so much a fault, more an annoyance when pulling off, does no damage, but could be pointed out to a seller to knock a few quid off :winky:

The alloys are known for lacquer coming off, but if this is the case with the one you are looking at then again budget to have them re-furbed, or replaced and knock the dealer down in price again.

and key's, key's are important, i got stung with this, more keys the better obviously, but one HAS to be the master key (3button) as this is the one you will need to program in other keys you may get cut. i did not get a master key with mine, so i had a bit of hassle, time & £500 spent to get a full new set of keys & ecu re-flashed.

But IMO that £3990 for a 2000 SE @ 139K is too much, even tho it has styling kit, unless your being offered £3500 for your Astra!!!!

Good choice of car tho!

I've had my 2002 sport for 2 years now and apart from the key thing, hasn't cost me a penny other than servicing & feul.

Hope this helps

Cheers for comments guys

I know it's way overpriced just by looking on autotrader, wouldn't want it for more than 3k

Another question, automatics seem to be pretty cheap, seen a few with low mileage 50-60k for 2-3k

although auto wouldn't be my choice, is there any known problems with the automatic gearboxes, or anything else on an auto?

Ta

have had my 2004 for nearly 2 years and i must have spent 3000 making a great car even better. but nothing i needed to fix on the Lexus in that time just a service. doing a turbo install in the next couple of weeks and that going to make my great car wonderful. good luck and welcome to the loc