Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Is250 Is Going Soon

After going to the dealers twice to have dreadful rattles fixed they've come back again. There is an annoying rattle from around the armrest area that I just cannot locate.

It went away for a few months but is back with a vengeance. It's a constant rattle even when driving on a smooth road ! The worst thing though is the very noticeable creak around the top of the door window fram (in the corner near my right ear). I originally thought it was from inside the seat belt housing but I now know it's caused by the door frame black seal. I know this because after I shut the door if I wedge a piece of card in the corner of the frame at the top the creak goes away.

Because of the rattles and creaks it just not feel like a quality car and I'm fed up with it now.

The problem is the dealers are so helpful and try their best to fix. They bend over backwards letting me drop it in for 3 days to let them have a proper look at it, getting a techy to ride in the car with me to try to locate the rattles and the usual great Lexus service.

But they are fighting against an awful product. Ok I know that not everyone suffers from these rattles and creaks but once you've got them they can't seem to fix it.

Last time I emailed customer service to say what a disasterous experience this car is and can someone from customer service speak to me about it there are serious issues with the product. But no they just forward it to my dealer and they have to put up with me whingeing again.

I don't want to be hassling my dealers and want some answers off Lexus.

With regards the door creaks it's more than just rattles it feels like the doors are loose in effect !

Am I being unreasonable to expect to be driving a fairly rattle free car for £32k or should I be putting up with a car that feels like it has been put together with paper clips ?

Does the manufacturer really care or do they just want to bat it back the the local dealer and let them sort it out ?

I'll never get another Lexus again and I've had three now.

Am I being unreasonable to expect to be driving a fairly rattle free car for £32k or should I be putting up with a car that feels like it has been put together with paper clips ?

No, for £32k I'd expect a rattle-free car- I agree with you there. My 9 year old IS200 is rattle free, so a new/newish £32k car HAS to be rattle-free IMHO.

Is there another dealer that you could try to get the rattles fixed? What will you replace the IS with?

No, for £32k I'd expect a rattle-free car- I agree with you there. My 9 year old IS200 is rattle free, so a new/newish £32k car HAS to be rattle-free IMHO.

Is there another dealer that you could try to get the rattles fixed? What will you replace the IS with?

Cheers mate. Probably a new model C-Class. OR anything that's rattle-free.

No not unreasonable at all, if it was me I'd be expecting it to be rattle free as well. It's a shame as the IS250 is a great car but this rattle issue has let the side down.

Really like the new C, had one as a rental car and it was good to drive - and crucially rattle free!

It's not good enough, the dealer should keep the car until all demonstrated rattles / squeaks have gone away. Have you tried a slight spray of silicone ( WD40 or similar ) on the offending part od the door seal?

I'm going to try that Steve. Someone on the Merc forum said that. Cheers for the advice.

No not unreasonable at all, if it was me I'd be expecting it to be rattle free as well. It's a shame as the IS250 is a great car but this rattle issue has let the side down.

Really like the new C, had one as a rental car and it was good to drive - and crucially rattle free!

actually I was driven in taxi (c200cdi) and it was rattling.

Anyway, I think that C200kompressor is the best car in this class at the moment.

It's not good enough, the dealer should keep the car until all demonstrated rattles / squeaks have gone away. Have you tried a slight spray of silicone ( WD40 or similar ) on the offending part od the door seal?

I'm going to try that Steve. Someone on the Merc forum said that. Cheers for the advice.

I had an annoying squeak caused by clips on a scuttle plate from under the bonnet (a known issue on GS) which was rectified accordingly by my dealer. Apart from that my car is pretty good from this respect with only a couple of small ticking sounds from the passenger side A pillar and from either the passenger door or sunroof seal, and during a spell of warm weather over the summer creaking from the sunroof which I sorted out with a silicone type spray.

My experience of car ownership including this my first Lexus and owning a number of Jaguars, is that invariably all cars will have at least some creaks, so generally as long as the car has as you were talking about a quality feel I can live with the odd sound.

It may be worth trying a different dealer once more before changing, after all you could replace your IS with say a Mercedes and have similar problems again!

Regards

Keith

It's a pity it should come this. You should probably just get rid and move on but at some stage you must have rated Lexus to buy three. If it were me I'd forget about the dealer you've been using and look further afield. Other owners have had their problems solved why not you?

I think that the real cause of annoyance is that many folks have been very loyal to the Lexus brand, and have upgraded their vehicles, and have sadly found that the latest models are simply not as well built as previous.

My, (as was), GS300 Sport was nine years old, no rattles, no issues, and every button/gadget worked......and it drove like new......then I upgraded.....although my GS300 MKIII is "not a bad" car....I have squeaks and rattles......the cars history indicates that these have had attempted rectification whilst under warranty......but to no avail.

I could afford to buy a "brand New" ford or vauxhall, but would rather use that money to buy a "Quality" second hand car.........had I have paid the £42.4k for mine, I would be well ******.

The question is "What are Lexus going to do about it?"......because I will most likely be looking at other marques next time round......which I don't like the idea of as I love the Lexus customer service.

Rant Over.

hi, repalced my 220 d wit a new c class 220 cdi last month and i gotta say i like the car. as i had the basic lex i have a better spec, heated leather, Bluetooth, avantegaurde trim...etc... its a very solid car to drive. i do miss the poke from the lexus and it was def ahead of the merc on this regard. also miss the keyless entry and push button start. i would def recomend these as options to buy as you will be used to dem with the lex. mpg is very good though returning 47mpg since purchase, i got 43mpg on the lex over 3 years and 9 months. not a rattle in sight but then i never had that issue with the lex.

My son has a Mazda 3. He complained about a passenger door rattle. It was quite loud on roughr roads. I sat in the passenger seat and we set of very slowly along on bumpy road. I opened the door just slightly and hey presto no rattle. He just put some cold candle wax all around the door seal. That was 6 months ago and it hasn't returned.

I think it is caused by the rubber seals drying out. A bumpy road releases the tension between the surfaces emitting a rattle sounding noise. It explains why no amount of mechanical rebuilding fails to solve the problem. Had a similar problem donkeys years ago with an instrument binnicle.

I can understand where GaryC is coming from. I think I got my 250 SE MM about the same time and it's been back a couple of times for rattles (one of which is still there a bit) and had the autochanger part of the MM replaced when that failed. The quality is not as good as the BMW I had before and that's disappointing.

I think what frustrates me even more is the lack of appetite for Lexus dealers to keep you in the brand - I looked at a nearly new RX400h recently and they're back to the trade price for your part ex and full retail on the other car and to me, that isn't cricket...

I suspect it's highly unlikely I'll keep if for the duration of its PCP :(

i had the same problem with my 220d, in the end i just got fed up with it and turned up the radio until the time came that i could hand it back on my pcp, i was a loyal lexus custmer having owned a 200 then the 220 over 6 years

i now drive a 3 series and so far no problems

I wouldn't expect rattles from a £32k car either, or from any new car ! I'm surprised, £32k? I got the newshape E220cdi Auto Avantgarge brand new for less than that with the navi and its a bigger car.

£32k must have been list, right? I payed way of list for mine so at least that's one consolation!