Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220d Xenon Headlight Problem!help!

hi guys any one can help me i got a lexus iss220d and the Xenon on one side keeps turning of and on whenever it wants,spoke to lexus and they said it could be the bulb or the capacitor and well the 1 Xenon bulb from lexus cost 180quid yikes!!! so i fought id get some from eBay and i put them in and they dont even light up well they do but then switch right off..any idea's guys???they are 6000k d2s... i fought id try my luck with the changing the bulbs first and see if its the bulb instead of the capacitor which i have to replace the whole headlight costing 800quid...i will be doomed ... :unsure:

hi guys any one can help me i got a lexus iss220d and the xenon on one side keeps turning of and on whenever it wants,spoke to lexus and they said it could be the bulb or the capacitor and well the 1 xenon bulb from lexus cost 180quid yikes!!! so i fought id get some from ebay and i put them in and they dont even light up well they do but then switch right off..any idea's guys???they are 6000k d2s... i fought id try my luck with the changing the bulbs first and see if its the bulb instead of the capacitor which i have to replace the whole headlight costing 800quid...i will be doomed ... :unsure:

this is quite a common problem with the lexus. do not buy any cheap bulbs from eBay. the bulbs for the lexus you want is not D2S it is actually the new mercury free D4S bulbs. Assuming your car is still under warranty, the bulbs should be covered under the warranty. If however you do want to upgrade the bulb and go for some higher kelvin ones then the only reliable D4S bulbs out there at the moment I know are the Japanese made Garax Brand.

With the other cheaper D4S bulbs, i have read many stories of peoples bulbs and ballasts burning out and in one particular case catching fire

I've had exactly the same problem. First time the car was under warranty and Lexus replaced the whole light unit which seemed a bit extreme. The tech was under the impression that the bulbs never fail. I didn't argue as you can imagine.

The other one went last week and I picked up a Philips D4S on eBay from a German seller for about £40. Works a treat. As far as I know the stock Lexus bulbs are Philips D4S Mercury free.

• 4 weeks later...
hi guys any one can help me i got a lexus iss220d and the xenon on one side keeps turning of and on whenever it wants,spoke to lexus and they said it could be the bulb or the capacitor and well the 1 xenon bulb from lexus cost 180quid yikes!!! so i fought id get some from ebay and i put them in and they dont even light up well they do but then switch right off..any idea's guys???they are 6000k d2s... i fought id try my luck with the changing the bulbs first and see if its the bulb instead of the capacitor which i have to replace the whole headlight costing 800quid...i will be doomed ... :unsure:

Whatever youj do, don't buy cheap ones off eBay. Get only Philips or Osram. I sadly thought I'd save a few quid by buying a pair of Lumenex 6000k HID's. They are rubbish. Now I've ordered a pair of Philips from the states for around £85.

Reason for a pair change is the colour can change as the lamp gets older. Here's a link, maybe useful for others:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RTQ:MOTORS:1123

• 3 weeks later...

I have same problem, car is out of the warranty for month or two :angry:

monkey, could you pls give me eBay link on that german seller. thanks.

Guys, did you change the bulps by yourselves? How?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-D4S-XenEco-4...=item45ef9bf600

This is the bulb that I picked up. The car was in for a service at my local indy and they popped it in for me FOC which was a boost. I think they had to remove the washer bottle to get at it, but said it was straight forward enough after that.

It was the first time I had used the garage. Used Lexus before and it appears that the air filter had been in there for about 50 000 miles by the looks of it and the fuel filter was rotton so probably never been changed in 80000 miles. Car running MUCH better now.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-...-hid-bulbs.html

The above link may help if going DIY but I wasn't brave enough!

thanks a lot.

I wrote to lexus - I think they should fix it for free. If not, I'll do it according the links you pasted. I hope that problem is not in the ballasts.

• 5 months later...

Hi i had my lexus is220 done for £115.00 this included the fitting. Guys came out to my home and where on point. Very good service and very clean and careful! I recommend them to anyone looking for a Xenon upgrage! see link peps: www.hid-kits.co.uk

post-32094-127376212721.jpg

Hello, guys!

I have the same problem. Before, it was the left HID headlamp. I bought a pair of Philips D4S from eBay. I went today to Lexus and had them installed (it took them approx. 1 hour 30 minutes). Sadly, while driving home, I was under the impression that at times, either the right one, or even both of them, did not work. I turned them off, then immediately on again, and everything was fine.

Any ideas why?

Hello, guys!

I have the same problem. Before, it was the left HID headlamp. I bought a pair of Philips D4S from ebay. I went today to Lexus and had them installed (it took them approx. 1 hour 30 minutes). Sadly, while driving home, I was under the impression that at times, either the right one, or even both of them, did not work. I turned them off, then immediately on again, and everything was fine.

Any ideas why?

is there any chance, that in lexus they did not change the bulbs?

because my old bulbs behaved like that and it disappeared after the change.

Or those new bulbs are wrong, but it would be strange that both...

Also, 90 minutes is way too long for changing the bulbs. 30 minutes would by just enough - but may be the service has more complicated instructions, than necessary.

is there any chance, that in lexus they did not change the bulbs?

because my old bulbs behaved like that and it disappeared after the change.

Or those new bulbs are wrong, but it would be strange that both...

Also, 90 minutes is way too long for changing the bulbs. 30 minutes would by just enough - but may be the service has more complicated instructions, than necessary.

I think they changed the bulbs, but i cannot be sure. One of my frieds works for Toyota and he took it there for the change. They also modified the beams, because they were pointing too low on the road, so this could be the reason for the 90 minute change. Moreover, they gave me back my old bulbs.

Anyway, i really do not know what to do next.

this is really strange situation.

the problem is either in the ballasts or in the bulbs.

ask your friend if there is any possibility to measure the ballasts, if they are OK.

Hi all,

Had same probs with mine, brought mine of eBay in the end £40 for the pair (6000k) D4S, The problem is the parts company supply the wrong bulb, cos thats what happen to me when I ask a mechanic friend to get mine, After Lexus wants £190+vat for one bulb. The parts company take your registration and get the information of their datebase so I think there is a mistake in their datebase hence whywrong type of bulbs.

As for 90 min to change the bulbs is about right cos you have to undo all the plastic engin cover, undo the washer bottle funnel for the nearside and undo the air filter manifold for the offside so you can get your hands in to change the bulb.

When you want new bulbs make sure is D4S otherwise it won't work or they come on then go off after a few seconds, the lexus fitted bulb is 4300k I brought the 6000k the beam is a little more white. Just fitted them two days ago, so I don't know how good they are, but they work. A original phillips is about £60 online ( i think) so if you want to be on the safer side I suggest You go for them. Or you can tell your dealer the price online and see if they replace it for cheaper than £190+vat per bulb.

Hope this help Brucie

Hi all,

When you want new bulbs make sure is D4S otherwise it won't work or they come on then go off after a few seconds, the lexus fitted bulb is 4300k I brought the 6000k the beam is a little more white. Just fitted them two days ago, so I don't know how good they are, but they work. A original phillips is about £60 online ( i think) so if you want to be on the safer side I suggest You go for them. Or you can tell your dealer the price online and see if they replace it for cheaper than £190+vat per bulb.

Hope this help Brucie

I would have thought that 6000k bulbs were more of a bluer colour than white?

It's actually D4S Philips, so no problem about this.

The only solution I came up with is to buy new one and try replacing the right one, which worked perfectly before. I don't have the old ones to give it a try, since I recycled them. :(

Anyway, since nobody seems to know or care, I will buy a new ballast for the left one, and a new bulb for the right one, and hope it works. The only problems are the price and time to arrive.

Does anyone know how to check the ballasts?

• 1 month later...

It's actually D4S Philips, so no problem about this.

The only solution I came up with is to buy new one and try replacing the right one, which worked perfectly before. I don't have the old ones to give it a try, since I recycled them. :(

Anyway, since nobody seems to know or care, I will buy a new ballast for the left one, and a new bulb for the right one, and hope it works. The only problems are the price and time to arrive.

Does anyone know how to check the ballasts?

Thought I would bring up this post again.

My left (n/s) bulb kept going out, switch off and on would fix, so I ordered 2 x Philips DS4 from eBay (guy in the states who sold a lot of the bulbs), paid $110 for the two delivered. He had plenty of positive feedback and sold a lot of these bulbs.

Anyways asked Lexus to change the pair which they did. On initial power up the n/s bulb was still flickering but then stopped. Yesterday the o/s bulb was flickering on start and today as driving I watched the o/s flicker then go off in traffic!

• 4 months later...

Toshiba have launched a direct replacement for the Philips D4S lamps used in Lexus. The price is way cheaper than the German lamps. These are not cheap lamps made in China. I have bought a pair for about €75 :winky: I paid €20 for fitting them at a local car electrician which took them about 45 minutes for both lamps.

If anyone is interested here is the LINK

The store LINK

PS I have replaced both Xenon lamps and 2 weeks later everything is fine.

I`ve just had to buy 2 new Xenon bulbs for my Lexus, but was told to be very careful when fitting them myself as I could end up getting a really bad electric shock as apparently they hold a charge. Also was told that I had to get them discharged first before fitting, then get the bulbs recharged before they would work...

Any ideas?????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-D4S-XenEco-4...=item45ef9bf600

This is the bulb that I picked up. The car was in for a service at my local indy and they popped it in for me FOC which was a boost. I think they had to remove the washer bottle to get at it, but said it was straight forward enough after that.

It was the first time I had used the garage. Used Lexus before and it appears that the air filter had been in there for about 50 000 miles by the looks of it and the fuel filter was rotton so probably never been changed in 80000 miles. Car running MUCH better now.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-...-hid-bulbs.html

The above link may help if going DIY but I wasn't brave enough!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links