Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

100k Mls Service/timing Belt Change?

As a newbie I am trying to get an idea of what is the wisdom on this: when should the timing belt be changed? On the 1998 R reg MkIV I bought recently the belt was changed (by Lexus) at 68K (in 2004). The car now has 89K and I was talking to the Lexus dealer (Ipswich) which has recent history on the car. He advised a service at 100K to include timing belt change.

I would be grateful for your thoughts and suggestions. And does anyone have any views on the Ipswich Lexus dealership?

with many thanks.

As a newbie I am trying to get an idea of what is the wisdom on this: when should the timing belt be changed? On the 1998 R reg MkIV I bought recently the belt was changed (by Lexus) at 68K (in 2004). The car now has 89K and I was talking to the Lexus dealer (Ipswich) which has recent history on the car. He advised a service at 100K to include timing belt change.

I would be grateful for your thoughts and suggestions. And does anyone have any views on the Ipswich Lexus dealership?

with many thanks.

The change interval of the timing belt is 90k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Seems to me you're fine for at least another year.

Hello there,

I too am new to a 1998 'R' plate Mk 1V LS400 with 97K on clock. I was told the same by the Cambridge Lexus dealer ie that in the next service, which is imminent, the timing belt would need changing or ought to be changed. This is one of the largst services apparently, costing £870. I think that it's not a thing to be ignored as the possibilites of damage are high if the belt fails.

I want to find a 'high strret' sole-trader mechanic to work on my car, not the Lexus Dealer, so if yuo hear of one, please let m know.

Hello there,

I too am new to a 1998 'R' plate Mk 1V LS400 with 97K on clock. I was told the same by the Cambridge Lexus dealer ie that in the next service, which is imminent, the timing belt would need changing or ought to be changed. This is one of the largst services apparently, costing £870. I think that it's not a thing to be ignored as the possibilites of damage are high if the belt fails.

I want to find a 'high strret' sole-trader mechanic to work on my car, not the Lexus Dealer, so if yuo hear of one, please let m know.

Have a day out in Norwich and get your service and cambelt change done at ROYS - 01603 424877 - an ex Lexus agent it will be at less than half the price and a first class job - I know as I had the same service and cam belt change carried out on my Mk IV eighteen months ago - he does offer a free courtesy car - not neccesarilly a Lexus.

MJM444

Hello there,

Have a day out in Norwich and get your service and cambelt change done at ROYS - 01603 424877 - an ex Lexus agent it will be at less than half the price and a first class job - I know as I had the same service and cam belt change carried out on my Mk IV eighteen months ago - he does offer a free courtesy car - not neccesarilly a Lexus.

MJM444

Out of interest, what did they charge 18 months ago?

is it 90k for the 97 P plate witch is MKIII i think? LS400?

i rang lexus sheffield today and got a quote for £460

they told me its every 60k.

the car i am looking had it done around 60k and has done 120 so needs it doing according to them?

I'm pretty sure the mkIV is 90k as well. Don't believe everything the Lexus Stealer tells you :)

is it 90k for the 97 P plate witch is MKIII i think? LS400?

i rang lexus sheffield today and got a quote for £460

they told me its every 60k.

the car i am looking had it done around 60k and has done 120 so needs it doing according to them?

I'm pretty sure the mkIV is 90k as well. Don't believe everything the Lexus Stealer tells you :)

Hello There

Sorry I gave you wrong information my service with cam belt was August 06 not eighteen months ago

Cost was Replace Cam belt. a B Service, replace spark plugs Renew brake pads all round - Labour £360.00 + VAT

Cost of Parts including 8 iridium Spark plugs at 8.00 each Timing Belt and brake pads - £300.00

i.e Total Bill = £660.00 plus VAT. total £773.00 N.B. Note the "B" Service is the largest Service

I had a "A" Service eighteen months ago (Feb 2008) and the cost was £78.00 plus oil etc. total £130.00 with VAT

I'm booked in for an "A" service next week.

N.B. my average mileage is only 5.000 per annum -i.e 1998 MK IV only 65,000 on clock

Hope this helps

MJM 444

P.S. Don't have an MOT there as they sub it out and charged £50.00 I can get it local for £25.00.

Hi the timming belt on a mark4 or previous is due at 63 or 67k or 6years on the 430s its 100k states it in the handbook. This has been discused on quite a few occasions. mine had its first belt change at 66k & second at 132k full lexus history. I had this problem when looking for a ls400 as a lot of dealers (not lexus) said 100k. I belive they must get confused with 100,000 kms.

just to buy the belt kit the bloke told me it was something like 30+VAT

but he also said the A class service was a small one and its 280+VAT.

surley this guy must be wrong?

ringing a few dealers tomorrow.

As I stated in posting above the B service is the large service (Every 27000 miles) and the A service the smaller one (Every 9000 miles)

I would suggest you phone ROYS also when phoning dealers and ask for a quote to prove my figures bearing in mind they are 36 and 18 months ago. - I have copies of the invoices to substatiate my figures.

Yours

MJM444

Hi the timming belt on a mark4 or previous is due at 63 or 67k or 6years on the 430s its 100k states it in the handbook. This has been discused on quite a few occasions. mine had its first belt change at 66k & second at 132k full lexus history. I had this problem when looking for a ls400 as a lot of dealers (not lexus) said 100k. I belive they must get confused with 100,000 kms.

My maintenance book says 60K mls but all the dealers say you should go by time (4-5 years) rather than mileage?

My maintenance book says 60K mls but all the dealers say you should go by time (4-5 years) rather than mileage?

My Lexus dealer sent me a letter which stated 100,000 MILES ! As I believe no-one has ever heard of this engine busting a cambelt, I would follow this advice. I intend to.

What is the cambelt change interval on a 2002 LS430? My milage is low so surely 100k miles wont be it - maybe 10 years?

The LS430 is deffo 100k miles, but don't know the time limit - at a guess i would say 10 years based on 12k a year

I'd be interested in what the book time is for the job - it looks relatively easy - the front of the engine looiks to have pretty clear access

What is the cambelt change interval on a 2002 LS430? My milage is low so surely 100k miles wont be it - maybe 10 years?

The LS430 is deffo 100k miles, but don't know the time limit - at a guess i would say 10 years based on 12k a year

I'd be interested in what the book time is for the job - it looks relatively easy - the front of the engine looiks to have pretty clear access

I think its around 5.5 hours loads of gear has to come off. took my mate who is very handy with the spanners a day

I think its around 5.5 hours loads of gear has to come off. took my mate who is very handy with the spanners a day

Hi all :driving:

Further to my info in Post 9

I took my 1998 LS400 Mk IV in for service to ROYs in Norwich today

"A" Service inc Toyota synthetic SW-30 engine oil

Renew batteries to 2 ignition keys - first in at least 5 years

Refix front headlight washer nozzle

Total cost inc. £10.00 repeat customer discount £139.09 inc VAT.

They also drove my wife, self and transportable mobility scooter into central Norwich and picked us up for return to garage when vehicle service complete (3hrs) - at no cost.

I think this service and price speaks for itself.

Yours MJM444

mine was changed 5 years ago but sod it... i'm running until the belt snaps...

it's a non-interference engine so no damage will be done.

that said, my local mechanic claims he can change my timing belt for less than £200 parts and labour. He claims it's not necessary to strip the engine if you know what your doing.

Might take him up on that offer,

that said, my local mechanic claims he can change my timing belt for less than £200 parts and labour. He claims it's not necessary to strip the engine if you know what your doing.

[/q