Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'08' Cat D Lexus Is220d With Low Mileage For A Reasonable Pric

Buy a cat d Lexus?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a cat d '08' Lexus IS220d SE?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

'08' cat d lexus is220d with low mileage for a reasonable price, should i buy it?

it had 'minor' frontal damage and had radiator repalced, driver side panel and lights. wiring to the lights took them ages to figure and now works.

i'm not interested in selling it on after a few years to make a profit or anything but want a reliable motor which will last me a good few years.

experian check revealed that indeed it is a cat d and never stolen etc.

can i have your opinions please?

and the kind of things i should check for?

The fact that you have to ask the question gives you the answer. it will never be worth very much and you will have one hell of a job to sell it on even 3 years down the line. Insurance may be more expensive too, have you asked?

I wouldn't touch one. If you do carry on your interest make sure it is inspected by a fully qualified expert ( not connected to the person selling it ).

How much cheaper is it than an equivalent undamaged non-cat D car?

As Steve says, it's going to be worth less when you sell it too, so assuming the repairs and all can be done, it needs to be considerably cheaper than buying an undamaged car to make it worthwhile.

'08' cat d lexus is220d with low mileage for a reasonable price, should i buy it?

it had 'minor' frontal damage and had radiator repalced, driver side panel and lights. wiring to the lights took them ages to figure and now works.

i'm not interested in selling it on after a few years to make a profit or anything but want a reliable motor which will last me a good few years.

experian check revealed that indeed it is a cat d and never stolen etc.

can i have your opinions please?

and the kind of things i should check for?

I wouldn't buy a IS220 even if it wasn't a cat D :whistling:

How much cheaper is it than an equivalent undamaged non-cat D car?

As Steve says, it's going to be worth less when you sell it too, so assuming the repairs and all can be done, it needs to be considerably cheaper than buying an undamaged car to make it worthwhile.

08 28k going for aroung £16k, i'm getting it for £8k. The repairs are meant to have been done to a high standard (will be going to view it tomorrow and demand the repair list) and as i mentioned in my original post, i'm not too bothered about the resale value - i just want a diesel which will last for a good few years and not cost an arm and a leg...

Oh it's already been repaired and you can buy it for £8k? That is very cheap then, as long as you're confident the repairs have been done properly then that should be a good buy.

I'd be a little concerned that it might be a bit too cheap to be honest though....... :unsure:

Thats a bit too cheap tbh! Something doesnt sound right there at all I'd say mate. In order to fix a cat d quite a bit of money would have had to be thrown at it and well the selling price just doesnt reflect the actual value of it while it was still damaged if u get me. Put it this way...after having bought a cat d myself and put it back on the road, I'm guessing that to get that car and repair it urself would cost roughly what ur getting it at plus repair costs but....something just doesnt seem right to me coz of the cost. its just toooo low. are u 100% sure they want 8k? its not a cat c is it? and can u get hold of pics of when it was damaged to confirm what was repaired/replaced?

To be honest there are far better diesel cars out there CAT `D or not......steer clear of it.....BUT if you do want to buy it inspect every last detail of the car with a fine tooth comb..and make sure all that was replaced HAS been replaced and not just covered up......

also i would get someone like WIM to get the car up and have a full chassis check before you buy it as who`s to say there isnt anything dodgy going on with the chassis....?????>

And if its front end damage and the rad got smashed and all the gubbings who`s to say the engine didnt over heat..?

Buyer beware...!!

I voted no. Why?

1. I wouldn't buy a crashed/repaired car, whether said car is a cat d or a cat c.

2. The IS220d is a bit of dog- there are better diesel cars in the market. I'd get a Honda Accord 2.2CDTi instead of a IS220d- the Accord CDTi is what the IS220d should have been.

Thats a bit too cheap tbh! Something doesnt sound right there at all I'd say mate. In order to fix a cat d quite a bit of money would have had to be thrown at it and well the selling price just doesnt reflect the actual value of it while it was still damaged if u get me. Put it this way...after having bought a cat d myself and put it back on the road, I'm guessing that to get that car and repair it urself would cost roughly what ur getting it at plus repair costs but....something just doesnt seem right to me coz of the cost. its just toooo low. are u 100% sure they want 8k? its not a cat c is it? and can u get hold of pics of when it was damaged to confirm what was repaired/replaced?

my dad does the guys accounts and has found out for me that he bought it from an auction for £6k has sent £3k in parts and £1.3k in labour. so my original price for £8k was incorrect. :blush:

its now gonna cost just over £10k :tsktsk: , he says he wont make any profit off me as he's a friend of ours but would put it on for around £12k to anyone else.

damn! i've gone from being ecstatic at the idea of owning a lush set of wheels to being deflated by people saying its a crap model to being distraught over having to pay £2k more than what thought i would!!! :unsure:

i will still go and see exactly what kind of job they've done and if i buy it will get a £250 RAC vehicle inspection done on it - btw who/whats WIM?

I wouldn't bother. There are better cars out there for similar money, I would hardly call an IS220 'lush' either.

its looking more and more like that but the interior certainly is more 'lush' than a lot of stuff out there - seems like my original choice of an accord cdti is what it'll have to be...

my dad does the guys accounts and has found out for me that he bought it from an auction for £6k has sent £3k in parts and £1.3k in labour. so my original price for £8k was incorrect. :blush:

its now gonna cost just over £10k :tsktsk: , he says he wont make any profit off me as he's a friend of ours but would put it on for around £12k to anyone else.

damn! i've gone from being ecstatic at the idea of owning a lush set of wheels to being deflated by people saying its a crap model to being distraught over having to pay £2k more than what thought i would!!! :unsure:

i will still go and see exactly what kind of job they've done and if i buy it will get a £250 RAC vehicle inspection done on it - btw who/whats WIM?

seems expensive for a cat D. My 07 220d only cost 13K froma dealer and is wasnt damaged.. yes yours is a year newer but damaged cars drop value massivly, i should know i've had three in the past and only just sold one.