Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Lexus

JPJ

Hi

My wife and I have just bought a V reg IS200 SE....mint condition and we love it. We need a larger car with a baby on the way and its perfect. First time in a Lexus and even in this can which is 9 years old ....its quality througout.

The only problem is the CD player - Error 3 and I can't put the CD's in it even. I will have to go to Lexus I think. Any advice or links to advise would be great as this is the only issue.

The car has FLSH and really is fantastic.

Oh and the wheels need a refurb.

Jonathan & Ali and soon to be born baby boy!

Unfortunately the ERR3 is a common fault, and terminal when it arrives. Cheapest and best option is to replace the whole unit with an aftermarket replacement.

Welcome to LOC, and glad you're enjoying your IS :)

Hi

My wife and I have just bought a V reg IS200 SE....mint condition and we love it. We need a larger car with a baby on the way and its perfect. First time in a Lexus and even in this can which is 9 years old ....its quality througout.

The only problem is the CD player - Error 3 and I can't put the CD's in it even. I will have to go to Lexus I think. Any advice or links to advise would be great as this is the only issue.

The car has FLSH and really is fantastic.

Oh and the wheels need a refurb.

Jonathan & Ali and soon to be born baby boy!

As Parthiban says, the unit is broken and not worth repairing. Plenty advice on what to go for from the guys on here.

Congrat's to you both when mini you arrives... lol

Col.. :winky:

Thanks guys....

The car is driving sweet and tight....

Onto the CD player, are there any links to the rigth pages? Like how to remove the current CD unit and whats best to replace

The new CD player must have orange lights - im a bit funny like that.

Hi JPJ, welcome along, congrats on the news of the baby

Now stereo,

As others have said, common fault, you could buy a second hand replacement which would be a nice easy replacement, but there is the rather likely chance of the replacement going the same way.

There used to be a walkthru on this site on the removal and replacement (which is pretty simple) but that thread has dissapeared.

If you go the aftermarket route (which most do) you will need along with your new stereo a fascia surround, and an amp by-pass cable (as i see you have a SE) which dont cost too much, maybe £20 - £30 but does involve more work to fit into your car.

If you are the type that likes a good looking stereo (with orange light up!!!) and dont mind taking on small jobs on your cars, this will be the best thing you ever do!!!

MINES

Nice cheap one

IPOD one - orange backlight

dvd / 7" screen one / ipod

Those 3 just found on quick search, more thorough search may find better deals!!!!

Hopefully give you something to think about

Thanks for all the help guys....

been going through the car this weekend making sure all electrics work etc....I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer then that be great...

1. Should the following buttons light up when the lights are switched on in the evenings...

a) Traction control button

B) Snow control button

c) The dash light adjuster (To make the speedo dim or bright)

2. Should there be a light around the cigarette lighter

3. What buttons should have lights on the panel with all the electric window buttons on the drivers side.

I think thats is to be honest so not bad....

Jonathan

Thanks for all the help guys....

been going through the car this weekend making sure all electrics work etc....I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer then that be great...

1. Should the following buttons light up when the lights are switched on in the evenings...

a) Traction control button

B) Snow control button

c) The dash light adjuster (To make the speedo dim or bright)

2. Should there be a light around the cigarette lighter

3. What buttons should have lights on the panel with all the electric window buttons on the drivers side.

I think thats is to be honest so not bad....

Jonathan

1a & b: Yes- when the main headlights the SNOW/TRC button should light up. If not, then you need to get a bulb for the switch. New bulb is approx £3 from Lexus, I don't have the part no to hand, but I have posted up the part no in the past, so do a search for it.

2. Yes.

3. Just drivers side switch only- button marked 'Auto'

Just to add, the dash brightness adjuster is not illuminated.

To remove the CD player is very simple. Remove the top airvent tray - this either simply pulls forward, or if you have the type with the lift out top tray, lift this up and remove the screws underneath and then pull forward.

Heated switch tray also just pulls forward, put your hands underneath, push up a bit at the back and slide towards you. A tip when you remove the heated seat/TRC cables, label each wire so you don't get confused which is which when putting it all back.

Once these two are out, you'll see there are two bolts above the A/C unit, and two bolts under the stereo - remove these 4 bolts and then the A/C and stereo will simply slide out as one unit.

Only vital point to remember is to MASK EVERYTHING! The back of the stereo unit is a bit sharp, and the sides of the dash scratch very easily so it is really easy to scratch up the dash when removing the stereo.

Depending on your budget, I think the full screen type aftermarket headunit looks great :)

Okay, the CD unit is out and 6 discs removed, i connected it back up just incase it worked but no its still has err3 message so now its out for good and i need to buy another one.

These are the questions I have...sorry guys I will stop one day...

1. When i took the cd player out only one lead was connected, but there were two slots....is this normal?

2. Do I need a bypass lead or not, how do I know?

3. I have located a facia kit but I have no idea what lead I need.

4. The facia kits I have read that some people spray and use filler to get the right look, is it that bad then?

Jonathan

PS...this is the worse question....How do I know if I have and SE model?

1. Yes that's normal, the second slot is for an external MD or CD changer.

2. If you have an SE or Sport, you need the amp bypass lead.

3. Bypass Lead

4. It's not horrendous but it's not a great match for the dash - if you can the filler and spray technique does have some brilliant results.

If you have half leather seats, a sunroof, 17" alloys and speaker covers on the rear shelf that say "Lexus" on them when you look at them from outside, then you have an SE/Sport with the 8 speaker system with separate amp :)

The warranty is 5 years from the purchase of the car, it doesn't matter how many stereos you've had and when it was replaced unfortunately - once the 5 years is up, it's over - essentially only if you have a 2004+ car will your stereo still be under warranty.

ah well....i've ordered the fascia plate.....now i got to find a nice cheap cd player with orange lights....

also I need a complete cigarette socket..mine is shot to pieces....

oh and a bulb to light up the traction / snow switch

Is it easy to replace the cigarette lighter unit?

Jonathan

4. The facia kits I have read that some people spray and use filler to get the right look, is it that bad then?

I haven’t sprayed my facia.

This is a bad camera phone pic, but this gives you an idea of what the Facia looks like when you are lazy.

:lol:

31052009012.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys, I will be installing the cd player on the weekend and I will post a pic if I can.

Just noticed while driving to the shops last night...the airbag light is one all the time, the one bottom left of the speedo console..is this normal, what do I do?

Jonathan

Just noticed while driving to the shops last night...the airbag light is one all the time, the one bottom left of the speedo console..is this normal, what do I do?

No that's not normal, should go off a few seconds after start up - I'd get it checked out.