Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Light Flickering At Low Revs - Running Out Of Options!

markstar001

Hi all, had my is200 for about three years now. Never had a single problem untill i took it in for a service this time last year. When i got the car back i drove about 15 miles home on the motorway, when i stopped at traffic lights my revs dropped and just as they came to rest my oil light came on (oil pressure not the one with wiggly lines). As soon as i reved the engine the light went out but would return when the revs dropped. Took it back to the mechanic (who is a well TRUSTED friend of mine) and he said that he suspected a lazy oil pump or pressure switch. I didn't get into apportioning blame as i trust this mechanic 100%. Bit the bullet and opted for pressure test which confirmed it was suffering from low pressure. When the light flicked on the pressure gauge shown a drop. I replaced the pressure switch and oil pump and drove of the next day happy. This was a year ago now and hey presto the oil light has started coming back on. Not seen it for a year and now it's back. My mechanic has asked me what i want to do. He is reluctant to fit a new pump as this should be fine. He has recommended going direct to lexus but i simply don't have the money to go down that road. After a lot of searching over the past couple of days i have loads of questions but no real answers. The car has always been serviced on time. Has done 125,000 miles on a W plate.

Could this be an oil temperature problem? If the oil got to hot would it become to thin??? (only seems to do it when the car has had a long drive i.e engine really hot). Coolants and engine temp seem fine but not really investigated.

Could i set the idle revs slightly higher? revs seem to drop to about 500 - 600 when engine is upto temp. Is this right.

I have browsed the forums and internet to no result.

Any help, ideas, suggestions or magic wands please feel free any input much appreciated!

Lazy oil pump? sounds like bull to me.

The oil pump is run by the the cam belt.

sounds like your oil may be a bit too thin and when your revs flicker they bring up the oil pressure light. but you need to figure why the revs are flickering as well

Thanks for speedy response. I did an oil change yesterday along with the filter. Used Castrol Magnatex 10W/40. Level is just below top line on dip stick. I agree it sounds like the oil is too thin but what would cause this? After searching the forum yesterday i discovered that most peoples revs are around the 600 mark when engine is full warm. Not sure if mine are excessively low but on the other hand if they were a 100 or so higher i don't think i'd see the light come on. Do you think the engine/coolant temp could be a problem? Would this thin the oil if it was too hot??

Oil pressure light providing the sensor and pump are Ok is likely to be wear on the engine. You are talking about piston bore wear and big end wear. You need to get somebody who knows these cars to inspect it and report back what is wrong. I suspect your "friend" might of done something that he does not want to admit if that was the first time the light had come on ......... when you drained the oil is there shiny metal bits in it, and any bottom end noise, have you had a compression test done?

Oil pressure light providing the sensor and pump are Ok is likely to be wear on the engine. You are talking about piston bore wear and big end wear. You need to get somebody who knows these cars to inspect it and report back what is wrong. I suspect your "friend" might of done something that he does not want to admit if that was the first time the light had come on ......... when you drained the oil is there shiny metal bits in it, and any bottom end noise, have you had a compression test done?

I inspected the oil and it seemed fine. Car doesn't seem noisy but have been thinking of a compression test next. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone recommend going to lexus for a dagnostic test. Would they give a set price for a diagnostic and what could this show! Don't want to spend any money i don't have to, just worried that lexus may say they couldn't diagnose the fault and leave me out of pocket.

My revs are now set at 650 but still the light comes back. I did try to set them slightly higger which stopped the light coming on. However it still winks at me during slow gear changes. I have ordered a genuine lexus oil sensor switch as the last wasn't a genuine lexus one. I just want to eliminate this cheaper option as all over roads are paved with big bills. The engine sounds great and just can't imagine that the ENGINE on my LEXUS is shot. Does any one know of any symptons of engine wear. I am not a mechanic and don't claim to know anything about engines but the car still seams very responsive, powerful and sounds perfect. I have been driving the car for some time now with this problem and the car still seems perfect. Would it be naive to think