Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will 15" Wheels Fit On A Mk4 Ls400?

OK, there is an obvious way for me to find this out for myslef but I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone knows...

Can I fit 15" wheels on my 1999 Lexus LS400 (DHP).

I appreciate there are all manner of reasons why I would not want to do this, but I have a very specific reason in mind and its not for road use.

Will 15s clear my brakes?

Rear brakes is the only real issue as I can leave the 17s on the front, thats not an issue.

Thanks.

OK, there is an obvious way for me to find this out for myslef but I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone knows...

Can I fit 15" wheels on my 1999 Lexus LS400 (DHP).

I appreciate there are all manner of reasons why I would not want to do this, but I have a very specific reason in mind and its not for road use.

Will 15s clear my brakes?

Rear brakes is the only real issue as I can leave the 17s on the front, thats not an issue.

Thanks.

Hi

The simple answer is no

They wont clear the calipers

All The Best

Benfur

sat nav being inaccurate or inoperative while running on the 15" wheels would not be an issue. So long as it works OK again when I put the 17s back on...

I am thinking I knew the answer would be "no" on the wheel fitment. I think I had forgotten the Lexus shares the same bolt pattern as my Plymouth Fury so I can borrow a wheel from there and see if it goes on OK. I suspect it won't, but its worth a go.

Indeed. The car ran 15.1 @93 MPH on the 245/60x17 Pirelli P-Zero Asymetricos but

1. they are a fairly hard compound tyre

2. they are an expensive tyre, and I'm kinda nervous about burning out on them due to replacement cost! (although heating them up does cut nearly 3/10s!)

3. best 60' is 2.33 seconds, and the car feels a little heavy off the line. I reckon a shorter tyre will reduce gearing and give it a bit more bite off the line

4. I cross the final light in 3rd gear with some RPM to spare so I shouldn't gain a gearchange by doing this

5. Even if I gain a gearchange in "PWR" mode the box shifts hard and fast anyway so I have minimal RPM drop (5 speed auto FTW!)

So a 15" wheel will take an inexpensive soft compound tyre which will offer better start line traction and won't have me fretting so much with big smokey burnouts LOL.

Its a fast car for a heavy saloon.

My LS400 is completely standard. I think it even had the baby seat in the back (but no baby). Getting 12s would require a lot of work, more work than I could afford or justify and would probably mess the car up. Its a nice, powerful luxobarge. That said a supercharger would tempt me if I had the money and other resources to make it work! You can never have too much power... I'm only messing about with the Lexus on the track as my Plymouth is in bits in the garage.

my mates are all big in the aircooled vw drag racing scene. a good mate of mine builds most of the engines for the bst uk cars. his personal beetle does low 10's and is road legal, it'll do 9's but he likes to keep it useable!! a few people i know are running 12's.

i always thought the 4.0ltr motor would be a good drag motor in the right car!

I've seen some of those aircooled cars. Mental. flat 4 is a great one to watch. 1960s Beetles launching with the front wheels in the air...

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7815.jpg

IMG_7809.jpg

Some of my pics from last year. :)

The Lexus V8 4.0 is a tremendously over engineered engine. They are popular in Australia and NZ where they usually have forced induction and/or nitrous. The bottom end is all forged steel and it has 6 bolt main caps! Factory spec they can withstand something like 1000 BHP.

I hear of a few cars being built with the engines from wrecked or scrapped LS400s here in the UK but have yet to see one at a show, on the road or at a race meet.