Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dunlop Sport 260 255/55/17 Very Noisey

Ive got a Ls430 2001 model. Fitted with the above tires and have alot of life left in them. But im getting alot of tire noise/road noise. Ive been a mechanic for 35years and its 100% the tires making the noise. They are not stepped and look fine.

Does anybody else have this problem and what tires would you recommend for a quieter ride?

Ive got a Ls430 2001 model. Fitted with the above tires and have alot of life left in them. But im getting alot of tire noise/road noise. Ive been a mechanic for 35years and its 100% the tires making the noise. They are not stepped and look fine.

Does anybody else have this problem and what tires would you recommend for a quieter ride?

I've just got a LS430 2001 also. It came with Continentals. At first I thought these were really quiet, but now am not so sure .... I think it's just the contrast with my previous very noisy GS300. Tyre roar is not too bad but tyre thump is quite loud. I too would like to know the quitest tyres possible.

Mike

In my experience with Dunlop's on my LS430, they were complete pants. I think they have a very hard compound because they lasted ages but I had to get rid of them due to the noise. I can recomend either Michelin Pilot Sports or Bridgestone Turanza. I have Michelin's on the front and Bridgestone on the back. The Michelin's are very expensive though and hardly anyone had them in stock.

There is Much talk on Many of the Forums I frequent on the Subject of Tyres!......With Many Car Owners having their own favourites (either on recommendation or experience).......Even the Budget Manufacturers of old are now Producing Very good Quality Tyres (Falken & Nankang being just two!)...

The Individual 'Designed in' Characteristics of specific Tyres along with the Many differing Reviews/Surveys can really make it a Tough Choice to get the ideal tyre choice!, And we havn't even factored in the Set-up & wear and tear/Geometary of your particular car!!

...I can't give you the Definitive answer and Many will tell you different!!.......And Sticking with a Top Brand tyre (though Prudent) Will not necessarily give you the Results you want! And will be Costly!

....For what it's Worth!...................Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........Google them, Read the Reports!...From my experience (and it's substantial) They are Unsurpassed :winky:

god arent we getting picky. Its good tho', how we can moan at the road noise after changing tyres...what a great car it must be for that to even be an issue.

My priority with tyres now is just how long they will last...u see, i locked my keys in once and the RAC came with a great air bag tool that stuffed in the door & blew up and bent the door back... this at the time was great as i had my keys back, didnt break a window and it would have only cost me a tenner, but the RAC bloke refused it.... :blink:

But i then noticed road noise, and wind noise in my Lexus :shutit: It looked ok inside the car, but the door no longer sits snug with the seal and i was told since that i could break stuff trying to bend it straight again

So tyre noise is just there for me now, full stop.

Michellns were the best i had before that, 300quid for 4 fitted, a lot steeper than my cavalier ages ago, 4 for 50quid... :rolleyes: ahhh them were the days.

I asked for long lasting and they were a good compound, and as long as you dont go 100mph around bends you will be ok for grip too...they never let me down.

:oops: Just for a laugh i'll tell you about the time i did lose grip....(wasnt with those tyres either!)

i've only lost it once.....it was in the wet, rushing trying to overtake a dawdler after a sharp bend, dont have traction control and so i just ended up looking thro my passenger window at him driving off and he was waving something at me???? <_<

I then looked forward and saw a few cows looking at me and simply thought...dont do that again yer d**k