Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Needs Advive On Buying 04 Rx3.0 Se

hi there everyone im looking to buy a lexus rx 3.0 se 2004. i have one in my sight. its an 2004 3.0 se. done 72000 miles it fully loaded only thing it doesnt have is air suspension. looks mint full service history all the usual. i would like to know what to look for when the car buying. things like possible faults that are not so obviouse what the car should feel like when driving it all that kind of thing. i am new to lexus i have never had one before but ive heard there fantastic cars so i am rAlly keen to buy the rx end of this year. i really do need some advice seeing these are expensive cars and i dont want to end up with nasty problems later.

thank you look forward to hearing from people on the forum

regards pascal

From my experience they are very reliable cars, the air suspension was in fact one of the few things I ever read about being a bit problematic. However that is above average mileage for that age so may be worth getting some form of warranty for the first year so you have peace of mind.

Of course as with all Lexus cars..the wheels are known for pitting due to the alloy they use.

Look out for excessive tyre wear, and relatively poor fuel economy, but hey its a big car. They would be my only 2 gripes.

Why not try and get the SEL with the air suspension?

Mine has been fine. Said it before but whether it is true or not it feels better/safer on motorways when in lowest setting than normal. Also do raise it when want a bit more pressence trying to leave car park after footy, but again that might be in my head. :P

The ML stereo is great too.

Mine has been fine. Said it before but whether it is true or not it feels better/safer on motorways when in lowest setting than normal. Also do raise it when want a bit more pressence trying to leave car park after footy, but again that might be in my head. :P

The ML stereo is great too.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the SEL automatically adjusts to the lowest setting when on motorways etc. but I try and remember anyway.

Alan :shifty:

no it stays in the middle setting. i never adjust mine! bit pointless really.

they do drop down into 1st gear a bit early so you can get a bit of a jerky set off at junctions etc. its a known problem(not really a problem, more picky than anything).

I would also suggest you should invest in a decent warranty...and IMHO the one to go for is the Lexus product as it will take care of almost everything and with NO EXCESS. Some simple sounding jobs can get costly on the car,so a warranty is definitely worthwhile.

I ran an RX for a couple of years, each time renewing the Lexus Warranty and posted back my experience each time I had to claim for a couple of things. Just my 2p worth!

The bit I read was in the actual manual (page 310/311). It says it automatically drops down a whole 7mm (!!) above 62mph for better stability. For high speed driving you have to remember to press the button for "LOW" which is 15mm lower than normal. Could just under half an inch be worth the bother?

Alan.

The bit I read was in the actual manual (page 310/311). It says it automatically drops down a whole 7mm (!!) above 62mph for better stability. For high speed driving you have to remember to press the button for "LOW" which is 15mm lower than normal. Could just under half an inch be worth the bother?

Alan.

Must admit I lower it on the motorway and feel a definate increase in stability, Cant say I ever notice it changing @ 60mph

rgds

Stephen