Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:question: Hi , am in the early stages of researching what model to go for next . There seams to be if i read it correctly a extra secification for series 4 400's above the standard spec. DHP.

Can some one explain what extra's the dhp model has please, ive done a search with no results and because its a old car lexus uk site is no help.

thanks steve

As above, Lowered suspension, 17'' wheels, great looking car. Driving on Motorways, a real treat. Driving around town with road humps, sleeping policemen, and potholes was a real nightmare.

Had a 99 reg DHP for a year and have relatives in Redcar. Visiting Redcar is now real pleasure after the people of Redcar decided they had had enough of 'road calming' and told the Council to put their roads back to normal.

I dont know the statistics, but I'll bet that there are no more accidents now then when there were humps everywhere. Perhaps us Soft Southerners should start telling our Councils to start doing what 'We' want. Thumbs up to the Northerners who stand up for themselves.

What's Plymouth like regarding roadhumps. If you've got them, dont go for a DHP.

I have posted this before...

(It was written by someone involved in the DHP in the first place):

Hi, I am the guy who did DHP spec for LS 400. For reference - Spring rate + 10% only, Height -10mm all round, rear anti roll bar + 1mm to aid turn in. Tyres Pirelli P Zero 245/50x17 Jaguar spec (XK8?).

No change to dampers. Car was done to please Lexus MD, but dealers liked it so we began to sell it !

Ride wasn't bad, but clearly firmer than standard. Any other tyres make much worse.

If you want ride quality back, just fit standard springs again.

Note- front suspension quite close to bump stoppers, so ride will suffer if springs have sagged with time.

Thanks for the replies guy's . so its wheels and suspension then.

Plymouth has its share of full width humps and the square mound type.

Im thinking maybe a non DHP model for me as i like the soft luxuary type ride,

which fits the car. would test drive one if it came along though just to be

speaking from experience.

Maybe posting more questions as it gets nearer change time as the next model

will be a keeper for a few years. Am thinking series 4 at the moment though.

Like another member im not liking the recent posts about 430 ride sensors.

cheers steve.

my previous luxoride was this:

before.jpg

1984 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I also ran 2 Chrysler Fifth Avenues before that.

DCP_0403.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

So I am aware what "soft sprung" means LOL.

I don't find the DHP to be harsh at all. Its a Lexus. Its not going to give you a ride to vibrate your fillings out. Its a big, comfy car which handles nice. I slow down for speed humps and have found if you line it up right the LS400 passes right over those awful square ones with a wheel either side...

Test drive one at least before writing it off as an option.

I keep seeing references like this, but I've never seen the posts explaining what the issue is? Can anyone enlighten me what the problem is please, or point me to the earlier threads?

Tried a search, but came up with nothing.

Thanks

Chris

I keep seeing references like this, but I've never seen the posts explaining what the issue is? Can anyone enlighten me what the problem is please, or point me to the earlier threads?

Tried a search, but came up with nothing.

Thanks

Chris

hi chris , its a current thread in the brakes and suspension section, have a look. Sorry dont know how to link it.

steve

my previous luxoride was this:

before.jpg

1984 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I also ran 2 Chrysler Fifth Avenues before that.

DCP_0403.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

So I am aware what "soft sprung" means LOL.

I don't find the DHP to be harsh at all. Its a Lexus. Its not going to give you a ride to vibrate your fillings out. Its a big, comfy car which handles nice. I slow down for speed humps and have found if you line it up right the LS400 passes right over those awful square ones with a wheel either side...

Test drive one at least before writing it off as an option.

Hi ninety eight, ok i will do, as you obviously have excellent experience with the cars youve owned. I imagine a DHP 400 is still luxurious and soft anyway.

Ive always fancied something from the 50's from stateside but never had the balls to take the plunge lol. Have the LEX bug at the moment.

cheers steve

hi chris , its a current thread in the brakes and suspension section, have a look. Sorry dont know how to link it.

steve

Blimey I didn't even know there was a brakes and suspension section! Never noticed those subforums before. Thanks, Steve.

Bit worrying all that, and the poster there clearly has a real problem. But there is so much positive posting about the 430's, I suspect it was for a limited period and most have no issues.

Chris

I'venot read the thread you mean (yet) but never let a single bad example of a car put you off the lot of them. Some cars have been through their own circumstances which have caused issues. If it seems a car is famous for a specific problem thats another matter. EG I was scared off a Jag because of the nicasil bore issue and the appetite for coil packs. Sadly these aflict a fair number of the Jags I was looking at. I've never heard of the ride height sensor thing before, if I were you I'd check its not a common fault. I suspct its not. But I've been wrong before LOL.

I would say the Lexus DHP ride is same quality as a Jaguar XJ6 or XJ8. The firmer side of soft. I understand the regular Lexus is more pillowy. Try both and buy which you like best. :) I have to admit my Lexus is the first Lexus I ever drove or even rode in. As soon as I turned the ignition key the first time I knew I was buying it. :)

Hi, yep taken all posted on board. Think im going to test drive a few series 4's and 430's but i gota admit if the budget allows in january a 430 would be my ultimate lexus (financially lol ).

Will research the 430 suspension thing as much as possible to see how common it really is.

thanks steve.