Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, I know this has probably been ummed and aaahed at about 20 billion times now, but I still do not know the answer:

Which is the better car, I am considering an ls430 and nearly settled with getting one when I suddenly read someone saying that the mark4 ls400 was the better car???

who do I believe, please help me here, my main concerns are ride quietness (really I am a crazy perfectionist when it comes to this) and reliability.

I like the vented seats in the 430 but which is the quieter and more refined car?

Please can someone (or many people) help with this as I simply am lost for choice!?!?

Cheers

The LS430 is better in every way.

There is nothing better about the LS400.

My LS430 has 110,000 miles on and is still like new.

Very quiet.

Very smooth to drive.

Sound system is amazing.

I've had two LS400's and am now on a LS430.

My dad has got a new LS every year since 1990.

I can tell you that they only get better with each model.

The LS460 took some getting used to - I must admit.

Hi my pennys worth according to a lexus mechanic I trained (Im an lgv instructor) he recons the mark 4 ls400 is the best car lexus has produced (build quallity & reliabilerty). As to refinement you had better test drive both.For me value for money wise you cant beat a mark4 ls400 £3000 for a mint one. I have one so am biased but im not yearning to buy a 430 as the 400 has more than enough comfort & gizmos for me. 144k drives as new uses no oil or water & would trust it to go to Mars & back.

My first Lexus was a 95 reg Mark3 which I thought was a remarkable car, and probably couldn't be bettered.

My second was a 99 reg Mark4 DHP, which, I soon discovered, was a phenominal motor which surpassed the Mark3 in every way.

My third (and current) is a 06 reg 430 which really takes you to another level. I'm sure, that when funds allow, an upgrade to a 460 will be just another mind blowing experience.

I really believe that hundreds, possibly thousands, of Lexus designers, engineers and stylists know what they are doing and push themselves to the limits in their 'pursuit of perfection'.

Buy the latest and best Lexus you can afford, you wont regret it. In eighteen months, two years, an upgrade will beckon and you'll follow the same path as me. Good Luck. Graham.

Ok, I know this has probably been ummed and aaahed at about 20 billion times now, but I still do not know the answer:

Which is the better car, I am considering an ls430 and nearly settled with getting one when I suddenly read someone saying that the mark4 ls400 was the better car???

who do I believe, please help me here, my main concerns are ride quietness (really I am a crazy perfectionist when it comes to this) and reliability.

I like the vented seats in the 430 but which is the quieter and more refined car?

Please can someone (or many people) help with this as I simply am lost for choice!?!?

Cheers

I have a 400 MK2 and look forward to having a MK4 in the years to come, I think it probably represents the best value for money, but if you can afford a 430 then its down to which you prefer, presumably the newer the model the better the driving experience

thanks guys, this has kind of confirmed what I thought.

My plan is to buy one next year as I have set myself a challenge of getting a lexus before I am 22! mainly as all the people I know my age drive around like complete fools in their Golf GTi GRX SRI STD Lowered to the floor with 57" alloys on and think that they look good! I flatly refuse to be grouped into that category and ride quality and quietness is of the absolute highest importance to me! Insurance cant be any more expensive as the car I drive now is IG 16 (Mazda Xedos 6 2.0 V6 Auto SE), and after I hit 21 at the end of the year my insurance drops like a stone!

I cannot wait to get this car, lets hope that father christmas brings me a christmas bonus that allows it!

Thanks again, any more comments would be very much appreciated on perhaps what to look for in the LS430 that might go wrong, I will be gettting the Premium version with Air suspension if possible, is this prone to failure at all? also, what is the Fuel economy in the 430 like? I have read up (lots) on all 3 cars (400, 430, 460) and it seems the larger the engine gets the better economy it gets?!? is this something to do with the newer technology being used, or is it just lies?

I drive a 2.0 V6 Auto, and that only gets between 26 and 32 MPG, and I drive like a saint (no Really, I am very much a 'Passenger's' driver), so the idea of an engine more than twice the size returning 33 MPG on the motorway seems crazy?!

Please let me know,

And thanks again (for the third time)

When I were a lad (your age) it was well known that a 1.6 or 1.8 version of a car would give better consumption than a 1.3L.

So bigger engines can be more efficient than smaller ones.

Also the newer Lexus V8's benefit from variable valve timing, probably more sophicated computer aided design, and more sophisticated engine management. So better fuel consumption is perfectly possible.

My lad (24) loves driving my LS400, he recons it is a totaly wicked street cruiser, he would love to cruise around with his mates pumpin some cool tunes through the excelent ice, but he isn't going to. its mine.....

I have the LS400 Mk4 and I get 22 MPG from it on average. Maybe as good as 26 on a run. So more thirsty than what you run now. However I would imagine insurance costs are more painful for you at your age than the petrol. There is always LPG...

I have also found that "big" cars do "big" MPG, "small" cars do "small" MPG. I don't know you'd see a lot of moneyin your pocket for the difference between an LS400 MPG and an LS430 (or compare a Focus to an Astra in the real world on fuel cost).

Funnily enough I didn't buy an LS400 as an economy car so its not somethign I give a lot of thought to LOL

I always say, people never design a newer model to be worse, but sometimes if it comes down to the last year of production of a model been in production 10 years vs a car which is all new and the first year it was made, then the older car may well have less "bugs" in it.

Certainly value for money favours the LS400 right now.

I really don't think you'll go wrong what ever you buy. Just buy the nicest example you can afford.

Had my LS430 nearly 2 weeks - round town and A19 I'm getting 20mpg - on the motorway I was getting 29.5mpg - I also checked the actual consumption and found that the Lexus system is about 5% optimistic. I drive very very gently so I just can't see how anyone could be getting 33mpg. I love the car though - I paid over the odds for it, but it's from a Lexus dealer and has a full 12 months Lexus warranty on it - so I'm hoping the air suspension goes soon :whistling:

Mike

Had my LS430 nearly 2 weeks - round town and A19 I'm getting 20mpg - on the motorway I was getting 29.5mpg

I have achieved almost identical figures for my 400. We have had people on this site mking some rather silly mpg claims for their LS400/430s. Either they are prone to exaggeration or their arithmetic is weak.

We have had people on this site making some rather silly mpg claims for their LS400/430s. Either they are prone to exaggeration or their arithmetic is weak.

I have just looked in "Engine and Transmission" for the first time (well, I have only been reading this website for 5½ years) and someone has just claimed he gets 42mpg in his LS400. I rest my case.

We have had people on this site making some rather silly mpg claims for their LS400/430s. Either they are prone to exaggeration or their arithmetic is weak.

I have just looked in "Engine and Transmission" for the first time (well, I have only been reading this website for 5½ years) and someone has just claimed he gets 42mpg in his LS400. I rest my case.

42mpg :msn-oh:

I'll go offer that guy some serious money for it ;)