Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone, hope someone mechanically inclined can help me, my car is said to have some oil drip

somewhere between the engine and transmission, I am told it may be a cylinder head(private mechanic), does this mean the end of the line for my baby?

I am thinking of going to a proper garage to see a 2nd opinion, I'm so stressed ....any feedback please is much appreciated

Hello everyone, hope someone mechanically inclined can help me, my car is said to have some oil drip

somewhere between the engine and transmission, I am told it may be a cylinder head(private mechanic), does this mean the end of the line for my baby?

I am thinking of going to a proper garage to see a 2nd opinion, I'm so stressed ....any feedback please is much appreciated

I would get 2nd opinion, how long you had oil leak, and are you having to top up, have you got oil in rad? not sure but i think a diagnostic would pick up if head gasket had gone, how is your car running in itself

"Oil Leak"...On a Lexus?......Never!..

..Surely it's your imagination!

...Seriously though, I wouldn't Worry, If your Engine oil level is OK then just keep an eye on it!

Worth a second look though, Might just need something tightening up.

Good luck.

If it is an oil leak between the engine and transmission, it could be the rear crank oil seal. This is sadly a reasonably common issue on the Mk1 GS Toyota engine (and the Supra's that had the same engine). I had to have it done on mine. This is quite a significant job and if it does turn out to be the crank oil seal, shop around for quotes. Quotes for me ranged from £250 right up to £940. It could also be the torque convertor seal on the gearbox. While the box was off mine having the crank seal done, the torque converter seal was also leaking slightly so that was changed while they were working in that area(total bill for crank and torque seal inc labour came to £311 in the end).

The cylinder head sounds unlikely IMO, although of course the rocker cover gasket could be leaking, but that should be a reasonably cheap fix compared to most other options.

Fingers crossed it is a cheapy. Defo shop around what ever it is though.

Many many thanks all, RAC man came down and said as you guys suggested, top up

1 litre of oil, observe, if dip stick check suggests oil leaking badly, to have garage check the top cover, if not to just keep topping up, many many thanks for all the responses.....

my heart is more at ease now...........if the leak turns out bad,(hope not) ill spend one last one, then possibly do scrappage