Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension Problems

Hi,

We have a 2003 RX300 and it's becoming a little problematic. It has 78K on the clock and we bought it with 55K on the clock from Lexus approved in Manchester. We have just finished shelling out £250 (two visits to local garage) to repair a steering rack leak however the main issue I need your assistance with is that the suspension has become 'very clunky'. Whenever I go over uneven tarmac, manholes, potholes etc an awful rumble noise comes up from the drivers side front wheel. I have searched the forum topics and recently asked my local garage to look at the brakes. There were no problems there. I have driven on the brake and accelerator at the same time and the problem lessens but doesn't dissapear. Whilst trying to diagnose the fault my local garage identified the front shock absorber as leaking. They didn't say if this was the cause they just advised replacement at a cost of £315 including shock absorber top. Apparently they need to use genuine Lexus parts.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone experienced this problem (clunky suspension over slightly uneven road) before?

2) Lexus Manchester have offered to diagnose the problem for £50 (free if I use them for repair) - is this necessary / reliable?

3) Could the leaking shock absorber be the problem?

4) What is a the shock absorber 'top'. The local garage said this was the expensive bit. Could I use on from a breakers yard?

Your help much appreciated

I took the car to another Lexus dealership (Bolton) and they had a look at it free of charge. They said that the noise is related to the shocker and that not shock absorber top is needed. £225 for the lot!! the car goes in tomorrow morning, I'll keep you posted on the outcome

mine was the same. it was the actual shock itself, however the bearing in the top mount was starting to get worn aswell. it might be a good idea to do the top mounts when replacing the shocks as it could save u taking them out again somewhere down the line.

:D :D :D

Lexus Bolton took the whole strut / top out, and only the shock absorber was needed. Result! Cathedral quiet once more. Really good customer service aswell (much better than recently experienced at Salford). £225 in vat (1.2hrs labour)

smileyriley

• Like 1