Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi just took posession of the 220 from new , and have read the comments about 6th gear being for over 80 mph.

Previous car i had was the avensis , very similar but had 2 litre diesel and a 6 gear box.

My thoery is that the 6th gear in the is220 would happily work under 80 mp at cruise , but i think its being stifled by the exhaust or perhaps engine management?

What i mean is that there is an accoustic abnormality sub 2k revs which seems to be across the range of gears not unlike having a back window open slightly.

Has anyone changed the stock exhaust on this model which may prove or disprove my theory or had an ecu reprogram that removed it?

mpg so far after 150mile is 35.5

thanks

Hi just took posession of the 220 from new , and have read the comments about 6th gear being for over 80 mph.

Previous car i had was the avensis , very similar but had 2 litre diesel and a 6 gear box.

My thoery is that the 6th gear in the is220 would happily work under 80 mp at cruise , but i think its being stifled by the exhaust or perhaps engine management?

What i mean is that there is an accoustic abnormality sub 2k revs which seems to be across the range of gears not unlike having a back window open slightly.

Has anyone changed the stock exhaust on this model which may prove or disprove my theory or had an ecu reprogram that removed it?

thanks

It's the same engine isn't it? What's the difference in weight between the Avensis and 220D? Have Lexus changed the gearing to try and up the crap mpg?

thanks

Did you have the same issue with your toyota? How does the MPG compare and what type of driving have you been doing to get the 35.5 mpg?

I belive the Lexus uses the same 2.2 litre diesel thats used in the Avensis D4D model

Im still breaking it in so the mpg is slowly creeping up , I i remember correctly the avensis was about 49mpg when i traded in.It increased about 4mpg after an ecu upgrade , which was more of a downgrade as far as I am concerned.

I dont expect the 220 to get that high as an average I would hope for around 44 for my driving style.

I still dont think though that its purely a gearbox problem with the acousitc noise sub 2000 revs in sixth , its noticable in all gears although much more noticable in 6th.

Now dont get me wrong here , you usually have to adjust your driving and gear changes with a new car , its just something is telling me its baffle or exhaust timing related to cause this.Whom should be complaingin really , it is over the uk legal.

I still dont think though that its purely a gearbox problem with the acousitc noise sub 2000 revs in sixth , its noticable in all gears although much more noticable in 6th.

Could be that the engine works best above 2000rpm as at that speed the turbo is fully spinning and gets that extra oomph..

Raised the issue of same engine and fuel consumption as I was given an Avensis as a courtesy car be dealer, comments were different drive train and heavier car equates to poorer consumption...

Just out of interest has anyone had their car (220d) remapped?not with a tuning box with a proper remap. just wondering if when its done is the 6th gear thing such an issue, as i understand it with a remap will the turbo spin up earlier (at lower revs) and therefore able to give better drivability and therefore more useful 6th gear.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links