Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Struggles To Start

Got a small problem, my 2001 IS 200 struggles to start when it hasnt been run for about 12hours, but more so when its a bit cold. Got in it this morning and it took 4 attempts for it to start. The Battery level was just under 9v which isnt normal, but within 30 sec of the car running it was back up to 14v.

Any ideas whats the cause of this, thought it could be a Battery fault but dont want to shell out on a new Battery if thats not the cause

Any help would be appriciated

Stacey

As above, sounds like battery to me! if the car runs and sounds fine when its turning over then i seriously doubt its anything mechanical to worry about.

if its not the battery im hazarding a guess that theres a chance it could be starter motor or alternator?

Im hoping its Battery, well I shall soon see, get some pennies on Tuesday so shall be getting a Battery then... It runs sound once its started, havent had any issues with the running of it

Cheers for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Had an issue with starting. Starter motor was lively enough. Tried using Total Unleaded and, over a couple of tankfuls, the performance picked up and starting became spot on. Could be pure coincidence or it could better additives in Total petrol keeping things cleaner. Slightly more expensive than supermarkets and Shell but well worth it.

Got a new battery and replaced it. So far seem to be much better, more voltage running through it before the engine starts. Now the car starts first time :-)

Battery mate if your batteyr warnign light is on on the dash , then its your alternator, but Battery sounds like the one

Battery light wasnt on, but got multi tester out to check voltage on the Battery and it was runng at next to nothing before alternator kicks in, voltage on the new Battery runs a lot higher before the alternator kicks in.

It did struggle to start this morning, however it was 1degree outside and car hasnt had much of a run, only does about 12 miles at a time at the moment