Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Four weeks after swapping my Scorpio for the LS, I would like to give you my considered judgement.

Firstly, I cannot remember a car that has attracted so much attention. So much so that I have started street cruising and enjoying my newfound image just for the hell of it. B) B) I have a LS400 Mk IV in Astral Black with black Fox alloys detailed in silver and I am an OAP who is now feeling a street wise 30 something. My neighbour says that I look like a drug dealer in my pimpmobile. How cool is that. :driving:

That reminds me, can anyone here recommend where I could find a book or CD entitled “Learn chavspeak in six weeks innit?”

Now, onto the observation where I do require some further help from you good peeps. They mainly concern things I have found or things that I do not even understand after reading the manuals and am still not sure about having read every topic and thread – yes all 121 pages in this section. :geek:

1. What does UKW mean? There is no reference to its meaning in the manuals as far as I can see. But it is the only place I can get any stations.

2. I cannot get stations when scanning for stations on LM or MW. Is the radio duff or am I doing something wrong? Reception was good on these channels in my Scorpio.

3. There does not appear to be an engine bay light. Isn’t that is a bit unusual although I do have the original torch still in its wrapper. In truth I have only opened the bonnet a couple of times and that was to marvel at the strength of the re-gassed struts - thanks once again Steve 2006.

:ooh-ducky:

4. How can I open the locked boot without unlocking the doors? It would be good to be able to do this without setting off the horn and siren? :blush::blush:

5. I have just found a plastic pull out case recessed into the front of the passenger seat just below the seat swab? And before you ask, neither of my Lady Friends was in that seat at the time. But what is the case for? If it was for first aid it would surely have a red or green cross on it. My cynical neighbour has suggested that it would carry an awful lot of pills and cash. :unsure:

6. How can a complete mechanical numpty like me charge the Battery? As previously noted, mine is a 1998 MkIV and I would rather ask now than after making a hash up. Can I attach the Battery charger without disconnecting anything from the Battery? If I do have to take the Battery off, does the car do an automatic reset – the Scorpio would do this during its first journey of a few miles.

7. I did my first journey in the dark the other evening when I took both Lady Friends to the theatre when I noticed that a couple of the centre binnacle switches were not illuminated. Neither was the strip at the top where the clock and temperatures are. Not life threatening I know but probably worth repairing. Is there anyone who can do this within easy reach of Lincolnshire or should I bite the bullet and drive down to Hampshire.

AND FINALLY

In these difficult times I reckon there is still opportunity for someone to make a fortune by totally rewriting the manuals for the different SL400 models describing all of their features and how to use them in plain English. I have read so many posts in this relatively small part of the forums where long term members have discovered features about their cars that they did not know existed.

HELLO! HELLO!! HELLO!!! WAKE UP – I’VE FINISHED

:D

Rod

Hi Rod,

Q1

The name "FM band" is misleading, since one can transmit FM on any frequency. All of these bands mentioned are in the VHF band which extends from 30 MHz to 300 MHz. In some countries FM broadcast radio is referred to as "VHF", "UKW" (German "Ultrakurzwelle" — "Ultra Short Wave") or "УКВ" (Russian "Ультра Короткие Волны").

Q2

AM ( LW/MW) is not very good so stick to FM the "aerial" is integrated into the rear window demister element and there is an amplifier mounted in the boot for this system.

Q3

The LS400 is so reliable that if serviced and driven correctly will never break down eliminating the need for an engine bay light.

Q4

Is that the one where you have to keep the button pressed down on the remote?

Q5

If you have a neighbour like that I would put the car straight into the garage so he cannot comment,you need to remember you have the Lexus he has the jealousy, seriously you will need a series 4 owner to help with the mystery box.

Q6

You can get Battery chargers that connect with the Battery still connected have a look in Halfrauds then buy it cheaper online.

Q7

You are talking about pulling the dash and centre console on a series 4 LS400 I wouldn't fancy doing that.

and finally,

After owning mine for over a year I spotted a black cylindrical plastic tube under the dash on the passenger side and with help from fellow members was told it was the "Flare Holder" mine is an import and a flare is a legal requirement in Japan should you break down.

Anyway got to go now I'm missing Coronation Street :whistling:

PS post some pictures of your car up

Thanks Graham - Do you realise that apart from my new chum Steve2006 :flowers: you are the only other person out of 80 odd readers who had replied. Could be that I bored them into silence. :shutit: :sleeping:

And, once again I am indebted to Steve who is prepared to go that last step towards missing Coro to help another member out.

Hi Rod,

Q1

The name "FM band" is misleading, since one can transmit FM on any frequency. All of these bands mentioned are in the VHF band which extends from 30 MHz to 300 MHz. In some countries FM broadcast radio is referred to as "VHF", "UKW" (German "Ultrakurzwelle" — "Ultra Short Wave") or "УКВ" (Russian "Ультра Короткие Волны").

Sorry Steve. Please do not be offended if I appear to be picky but

WHOOSH

Whilst I am pleased to have given you opportunity to demonstrate your geeky side, can someone else translate and tell me what UKW stands for?

Q2

AM ( LW/MW) is not very good so stick to FM the "aerial" is integrated into the rear window demister element and there is an amplifier mounted in the boot for this system.

I am with you so far - I think. :eerrrmm: But why cant I get anything on MW/LW?

Q3

The LS400 is so reliable that if serviced and driven correctly will never break down eliminating the need for an engine bay light.

That's true enough. Was I "driving correctly" when I blew away a 7 series at the lights yesterday? taunt.gif

Q4

Is that the one where you have to keep the button pressed down on the remote?

I press the boot button on the remote until the boot lid 'pops' and all is quiet until I raise the lid - when everyone within 200 yards is making mental images of me being a ..... well I'm sure that you know what I mean.

Q5

If you have a neighbour like that I would put the car straight into the garage so he cannot comment,you need to remember you have the Lexus he has the jealousy, seriously you will need a series 4 owner to help with the mystery box.

Steve - have you considered that my neighbour could be right - even if he is as jealous as hell? I don't have a garage and have to leave Rex on the street - but that's another long and involved story chatchairs.gif

Q6

You can get battery chargers that connect with the battery still connected have a look in Halfrauds then buy it cheaper online.

You're getting better :winky: I understood that

Q7

You are talking about pulling the dash and centre console on a series 4 LS400 I wouldn't fancy doing that.

OK I won't ask you. I can take the hint

and finally,

After owning mine for over a year I spotted a black cylindrical plastic tube under the dash on the passenger side and with help from fellow members was told it was the "Flare Holder" mine is an import and a flare is a legal requirement in Japan should you break down.

Yeah. I saw that thread. I thought that the flares could be chucked through the open windows of the chavmobiles parked next to you at the lights

Anyway got to go now I'm missing Coronation Street :whistling:

PS post some pictures of your car up

Seriously Steve, thanks for your help m8 :winky:

I am not very good with my box brownie and posting pictures will inevitably be a problem. I've got two and a half hours to fiddle before F1 qualifying - so stand by.

Rod

So, having sussed out pic sizes etc as per the handy tips in the newbie area and using Tinypic, here are a few pics. Compared with most other photos on here, I have to admit that mine are of pretty poor quality

Here's me trying to be a bit arty with the sky reflected on the bonnet

30abzmf.jpg

Being a mechanical numpty, this is as much of the engine as I want to see

zinjmc.jpg

This was after I had driven back to Lincolnshire after collecting the car from Sussex. I did keep flooring the throttle just to prove that the previous acceleration was not a fluke. Several times well over quite fast. :innocent:

6yo4kg.jpg

Some wag on the scorpio site marvelled at the handcuffs

66ks3k.jpg

Some folk don't like the wheels until they see the car in the metal

28im44w.jpg

I think that they are good for my new image B) B) I think that I will get the garage to paint the brake drums black rather then red. What do you think?

so8p40.jpg

And finally, the picture in Autotrader that gave me that 'must have' feeling

1z2f7yt.jpg

The local chavs have already told me that it would look better with different colour side repeaters. Lots of posts on here about that but I am still not sure. Convince me.

Rod

"UKW" (German "Ultrakurzwelle" — "Ultra Short Wave"

Whilst I am pleased to have given you opportunity to demonstrate your geeky side, can someone else translate and tell me what UKW stands for?

Not geeky at all, he has told you : Ultra Kurz Welle.

Hi Rod,

as my previous posts on here allude to, I am not into fancy non-standard alloys on the LS, I just don't think they work.

However, your car looks amazing and those wheels look great on it.

I had a black 1998 LS400 some years ago and when it was clean (which was most of the time) nothing ever looked as well. Click on the link if you're interested in seeing a photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulyandlinda...57606211137189/

Well done on your purchase - the car looks great.

Hi the car looks great. as to the boot if you hold down the button on the remote for a few secs the boot opens.

The wheels look really well ( if im honest im gutted that you like them, outherwise I would be offering you my refurbed powder coated originals in a deal). I think you really need a dark window tint & some red interior light bulbs. You could then cruise around Soho & do the hoe's proud. ;)

Hi

The box under the seat was a first aid kit, sounds like somebody has emptied it.

If your Battery wants charging, and you havent left the lights on, then you should look at replacing the Battery. The 400`s are pretty good with batteries, its the 430`s that are borderline.

have you got a three button key? if so then one of the buttons should open the boot, if not then you should chase up previous owners as this is the master key.

Dont think there has been an engine bay light on an LS, mainly because they dont go wrong enough to warrant one..

Did you have the stereo on when driving at night? on the 430 turning the stereo off turns off some lights, but I cant remember if it did with the 400, however that should not affect the clock/temp display (what about climate, was that turned off?).

I know it sounds a bit bodgerish, but try giving the dashboard over the clock a bash, my whole dash used to black out sometimes when it was cold, a quick slap sorted it out though.

If you are not scared of getting your hands dirty, the satnav/stereo isnt too difficult to get out, the worst bit about mine was that the vents used to fall apart when I took them out and they are fiddly buggers to put back together.

They dont need to make a better manual for the LS`s because of places like this and others on the internet, in fact I think if they made a comprehensive manual for the LS, it would be to heavy to lift..

there was a guy selling a comprehensive LS400 service repair and operations manual on CDROM on eBay. Worth a look.

Are you sure your dash/console lights have gone out or are they in "Night mode" - they flick into this automatically with a photo optic type sensor. The satnav screen goes from grey to black background when this happens and it dims everything else.

As said the boot opens if you press (and hold) the boot button on the remote. The "hold" bit confused me at first too. Also I think you can lock the boot on the master key to stop it opening with the CL or something. To stop thieving valet parkers from nicking your golf clubs or whatever. Check you haven;t got it in some sort of secure mode.

Hi Rod,

as my previous posts on here allude to, I am not into fancy non-standard alloys on the LS, I just don't think they work.

I had a black 1998 LS400 some years ago and when it was clean (which was most of the time) nothing ever looked as well. Click on the link if you're interested in seeing a photo.

Greetings,

I just had a look at your old LS400. Boy, your car was gleaming!! Do you miss it? What did you use to polish / clean it?

Cheers.

Hi Rod,

Greetings,

I just had a look at your old LS400. Boy, your car was gleaming!! Do you miss it? What did you use to polish / clean it?

Cheers.

Thanks for the compliment. Lexus dealer owed me a favour so he gave the car a full vallet. It took them two weeks to get it looking so good, as I was away on holidays. They werre very proud of their work and there is a photo of my car in their service centre now...

The Silver LS430 has no stare value compared to the black one, that suits me right now...

I miss the black, but think never again. Too hard to keep clean on Irish mucky roads.

I must say though, till now, I've never seen a black one look as well as yours does. Well done.

Hi Rod, I've got the same model and year, but mine is green with beige leather. I've had it over 4 years now and I still love it. Yours looks really nice. My engine bay was as clean as yours once, after a full valet just after I bought it. :)

My driver's / passenger's temperature displays have both lost their LED illumination. The driver's one only went last month. At some point I'm going to fix it, when I do I'll post pictures here.

My wheels are Lexus originals and are a real mess, with all the lacquer peeling off. I'll get them refurbished at some point. Yours aren't to my taste to be honest but I'd still take yours over mine!

As others have said, the box under the passenger seat should contain a first aid kit. Mine was pretty much all there but I replaced some of it with the contents of a cheap kit I bought at Aldi.

The only expensive work I've had done on mine since I bought it was a new timing belt / water pump / idler pulley etc., which cost something like £850 all in about 2 years ago.

Has yours got the sat nav centre console?

Well done on your purchase

Jon

Thanks guys

Thanks ever so much for your kind remarks. Rex shines even better than in my poor photos and he has clearly been looked after.

Yes I do have the master key with three button fob and upon approaching the locked car when I press and hold the ‘boot’ button for a few seconds the boot unlocks and opens about half an inch. But when I raise the boot lid from the ‘just open’ position the alarms go off. I then have to press the unlock whole car button to stop the noise. Incidentally my old Scorpio’s boot would fly up to fully open when activated from the fob at some 20 yards distance. :yahoo: That was a fun party piece in the supermarket car park.

:angry::angry: Trust you to notice Steveskeggy. I wasn’t keen to admit it but yes I am embarrassed to confess that I was sitting in the car late one evening reading the Owners Manuals and fiddling to see how things worked and I stupidly left an interior light on. :blush::blush:

There – satisfied. :lol:

The car cranked over the next morning and started so I went for a 15 mile spin and it has been starting OK since. My query was more of a ‘what do I do if…? as I really am a mechanical dunce.

Yes it is a Mk IV with the built in SatNav. I have only driven it once in the dark but often have sat in it checking what’s what when it is dark. All of the buttons around the screen area glow impressively. But the clock and temperature strip across the top does not illuminate and as yet has not responded to a good slapping. :lookaround: Also, the VSC and headlight wash buttons at the base of the binnacle do not illuminate and the drivers heated seat button does not glow although the little green light comes on when switched on.

I already have access to a workshop manual. My comments about the owner’s manual were more about the lack of explanation about features of the car that could best be described as ‘bragging rights’ when comparing cars in the pub. “I bet that yours has not got a flare holder;” “Mine was the first car to have built in SatNav” etc. B) B) B) I have not seen any literature promoting all the mysteries and driving pleasures that are discussed so often in these forums.

Thanks Jon for the Aldi first aid tip. I look forward to hearing how you get on with your illuminations.

And finally (I must stop saying that) Rex will need a cam belt change next Spring but I was aware of that when I bought him. Anyway he deserves a treat. :D :D

Regards to you all

Rod