Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone,

Two weeks ago I purchased a 2000 LS400. Perhaps 3 days ago, the car stopped responding to the remote key functions. Around two days ago, I began having difficulty with starting the car. What happens 99% of the time today is, I turn the key and I hear a single click, and the engine does not turn over. Once in a great while, the engine will turn over rapidly, start and run fine without a hitch.

I just purchased and installed a brand new car Battery and cleaned the Battery post terminals well. I also installed a brand new remote key Battery in hopes of solving this issue, but neither of these help. I only have one key that runs the engine (with another key that will open doors only).

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

I had similar* symptoms with my 1998 LS and it turned out to be a loose Battery connection. The garage didn't tighten it enough when they serviced it. You say you've already cleaned and tightened the Battery terminals, so maybe the problem is further down the wires. I used to own a BMW 735 and they used to get loose / corroded connections on the fusible link (like a very high amp fuse in the engine compartment). Maybe a similar problem with your LS?

* single click when I tried to start the car, and the whole car went dead. Then after about 10 seconds the lights started to come on again and the dashboard "rebooted" itself.

Jon

I had similar* symptoms with my 1998 LS and it turned out to be a loose battery connection. The garage didn't tighten it enough when they serviced it. You say you've already cleaned and tightened the battery terminals, so maybe the problem is further down the wires. I used to own a BMW 735 and they used to get loose / corroded connections on the fusible link (like a very high amp fuse in the engine compartment). Maybe a similar problem with your LS?

* single click when I tried to start the car, and the whole car went dead. Then after about 10 seconds the lights started to come on again and the dashboard "rebooted" itself.

Jon

Jon,

I did tighten and double check the Battery connections, and was going to look into "further down the wires" but they disappear somewhere in the murky depths of the engine compartment (i.e. behind stuff :) ) but since you've seen this before I may have to talk myself into weaseling in there somehow.

I do find it odd that the car stopped responding to the remote key functions (like open door) as well though, and since I can operate the electric locks from inside the car, it does not seem like a loose wire would explain that aspect of my issue.

I appreciate the reply, and may try that out just to be sure, but I wonder still if there isn't another broken item in play.

Hello - I too have had similar problems. Started with key not working remote locking and after using key manualy the alarm went off. Soon after, the steering wheel stopped returning to position, wing mirrors stopped woorking. Checked the key Battery - it wasn't that. I'd already had a new Battery on the car 2 weeks previously, so assumed it wasn't that!!!!? .... but it was the new Battery. One cell had died, leaving only about 73% of the Battery working. Got new Battery on warranty and all seems to be fine now. Good luck!!?

Its quite possible that although you have replaced the key Battery, that the key has lost its programming and needs doing again.

Seeing as the key lost its ability to remotely operate the doors, then stopped starting the engine would point at the key being at fault as the key sends a signal to the ignition system which has to match before the engine will start, this of course would require less Battery power than the remote function.

Go here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lof...php/t47560.html

and scroll down about a quarter of the way to Haylands post about key programming, You will probably need to use one of the two that dont require a master key.

Best way is to print them off and take them to the car, then you can try them one at a time.

Cant remember which one worked on my 98, but I think it was the first.

Either way, when you have sorted it out you should get another key for it in case it goes wrong again, at least you would be able to open and drive the vehicle.

You would need to go to eBay and get hold of a key with the electronics in and a blank to get it cut for your car, then just swap the electronics into the blank, get it cut, then program it for your car.

The key would have to be cut at a place that does laser cutting, any old key cutters wont be able to do it.

BTW there is at least one key with electronics in now on eBay, and there are loads of shells always available, including now I see pink ones :sick: .

Hello - I too have had similar problems. Started with key not working remote locking and after using key manualy the alarm went off. Soon after, the steering wheel stopped returning to position, wing mirrors stopped woorking. Checked the key battery - it wasn't that. I'd already had a new battery on the car 2 weeks previously, so assumed it wasn't that!!!!? .... but it was the new battery. One cell had died, leaving only about 73% of the battery working. Got new battery on warranty and all seems to be fine now. Good luck!!?

Hey lexusdriver,

Turns out in my case it is a bad starter, and since I don't really have the time to work on this (it would take me awhile), I'm having a shop replace it for me. I don't know why my the remote aspects of my key don't work right now, but once the car is back in my hands I will look into that.

Thanks for your ideas.

Its quite possible that although you have replaced the key battery, that the key has lost its programming and needs doing again.

Seeing as the key lost its ability to remotely operate the doors, then stopped starting the engine would point at the key being at fault as the key sends a signal to the ignition system which has to match before the engine will start, this of course would require less battery power than the remote function.

Go here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lof...php/t47560.html

and scroll down about a quarter of the way to Haylands post about key programming, You will probably need to use one of the two that dont require a master key.

Best way is to print them off and take them to the car, then you can try them one at a time.

Cant remember which one worked on my 98, but I think it was the first.

Either way, when you have sorted it out you should get another key for it in case it goes wrong again, at least you would be able to open and drive the vehicle.

You would need to go to Ebay and get hold of a key with the electronics in and a blank to get it cut for your car, then just swap the electronics into the blank, get it cut, then program it for your car.

The key would have to be cut at a place that does laser cutting, any old key cutters wont be able to do it.

BTW there is at least one key with electronics in now on Ebay, and there are loads of shells always available, including now I see pink ones :sick: .

Hello steveskeggy,

As I wrote to lexusdriver, turns out in my case it is a bad starter, and since I don't really have the time to work on this (it would take me awhile), I'm having a shop replace it for me. I don't know why my the remote aspects of my key don't work right now, but once the car is back in my hands I will look into that.

Your key info is good, and I will be looking into it soon, so thanks!

I have always found that a single click and nothing else when you turn the ignition key nearly always points to a knackered starter or Battery problem. Hope you get this fixed and all is well. I just wanted to say dont let this early problem get in the way of enjoying the best car in the world. these problems are as rare as rocking horse poo or honest politician on a lexus.

I bought my 15 year old 400 14 months as a stop gap between my 2 years old merc going back and ordering a new contract car. I was only supposed to have it for a month or 2 but i love it.

15 year old lexus v new merc.......no contest.

I have always found that a single click and nothing else when you turn the ignition key nearly always points to a knackered starter or battery problem. Hope you get this fixed and all is well. I just wanted to say dont let this early problem get in the way of enjoying the best car in the world. these problems are as rare as rocking horse poo or honest politician on a lexus.

I bought my 15 year old 400 14 months as a stop gap between my 2 years old merc going back and ordering a new contract car. I was only supposed to have it for a month or 2 but i love it.

Well thanks for the regards Sir John, the starter was replaced and it's running smooth.

In my 1st decade of driving sheds, i too was always under the impression that a single click was starter motor trouble. If the Battery was low or dead, then you can tell by the dash lights being dim and the motor turns slow.

It can also be the alternator not charging the Battery properly

Is there a power steering leak too? This is a common cause of alternator failure.

But the starter motor can be knackered by people turning it thinking the engine is off... :blush: i have done this 2 or 3 times myself in the 5 yrs i've had the car.

Im no mechanic sorry but possible causes can be...the starter motor, spark plugs / leads or the wiring loom fault in the boot hinge causing random electrical mayhem

good luck and let us all know

I have always found that a single click and nothing else when you turn the ignition key nearly always points to a knackered starter or battery problem. Hope you get this fixed and all is well. I just wanted to say dont let this early problem get in the way of enjoying the best car in the world. these problems are as rare as rocking horse poo or honest politician on a lexus.

Well thanks for the regards Sir John, the starter was replaced and it's running smooth.

I should have read your post before writing my other post above.........

but at least i am getting good at fault finding as my suspicion was correct