Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all.

Bought an LS400 at the weekend and it seems to have what is a common problem of stalling after being on the motorway. I have read some threads on here about cleaning the throttle body etc. Has anyone recently done this or has anyone got any new updated help on this topic. I see that on the US versions it seems to be a different topic.

Just wondered if someone had recently cleaned their throttle body and if it did any good?

Thanks for your help

Anthony

Hi,

It may be worth doing anyway

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html

Also try cleaning the Idle Control Valve

Excellent, many thanks. Will clean this too. In the meantime the AC is staying on!!

When I bought mine last month, bringing it home and it did this on the slip road off the M5 I didn't even know until I tried to turn the wheel. Lucky the lorry park was empty!! Then again at the next stop and so on.

I did all the info available cleaned everything, new oil & filters, spark plugs. Went on a run and the thing still did it.

Today I filled up with Super drove for a couple of hours came off the motorway and she was still purring at the roundabout just off out again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and to spend a little time getting to know my new toy.

Interesting that with the super-not heard that before. Keep us updated on how it runs. As I've just got mine I'll be doing a throttle and Idle control valve clean. Plus prob a service. See is lovely though, my first Lexus and loving it

Mine conks out on tesco RON99 Vpower and super unleaded nto tried BP's ultimately very expensive compared to anything else yet....and not planning too, it's done it less since i put a new airfilter on it, goign to do oil change soona dn then i'll clean out throttlebody and ICV.

Interesting that with the super-not heard that before. Keep us updated on how it runs. As I've just got mine I'll be doing a throttle and Idle control valve clean. Plus prob a service. See is lovely though, my first Lexus and loving it

Well all went fine so no fluke. I went for over an hour there, stopped for coffee and drove home the tickover idle still seems low at times.

It was the BP super I used as the only other garage near me was Asda (I never touch the stuff) I have an ECU lined up but have to get at mine to see the numbers.

Hi all.

Bought an LS400 at the weekend and it seems to have what is a common problem of stalling after being on the motorway. I have read some threads on here about cleaning the throttle body etc. Has anyone recently done this or has anyone got any new updated help on this topic. I see that on the US versions it seems to be a different topic.

Just wondered if someone had recently cleaned their throttle body and if it did any good?

Thanks for your help

Anthony

Yes mate, is does do it the world of good.

Mine died when pulling out of petrol stations etc, nearly caused a crash a couple of times..... then hazards on and try to get up the kerb, and put a hand of acknowledgment up with a sheepish look :blush: ...sorry.....

I cleaned the throttle body out...it looked a bit daunting at first, reading about taking the cruise control cable off etc but its a doddle really looking back now. I dont think you can put anything back wrong.

Make sure you get a top quality cleaner, as the wrong type can leave residue and cause problems further down the system when it blocks sensors etc.

I cant remember the type now, you'd better check

Throttle body cleaning doesn't look too bad, if there are any dodgy bits I have a few mechanic friends who will give us a hand. I did this on my Jag which helped it run SO MUCH better. I'll ask my nearest auto shop for the best stuff. I find it amazing that different fuel makes such a difference. Makes you wonder what they put in it. I have a friend who has a E30 M3 and the only thing that will run properly on is V Power. Why can't they all just make a fuel which works with everything!!

Well all went fine so no fluke. I went for over an hour there, stopped for coffee and drove home the tickover idle still seems low at times.

It was the BP super I used as the only other garage near me was Asda (I never touch the stuff) I have an ECU lined up but have to get at mine to see the numbers.

Well must have been a fluke :( Happened again last night. Definitely getting the ECU off the eBay guy this week.

I really hope someone can help me here.

I got the ECU and installed, everything fine except I think the Immobiliser has kicked in (scorpion 5000) I've tried all the ways on the club of reprogramming it but no luck and now Battery nearly dead with all the 6 times locking etc.

Any suggestions please?

open the car, open the window, open bonnet take wire off Battery wait 3 mins with key set to off then put wire back on with key in ignition set to just before starter motor kicks in, if thats not quiet right try disconnetingbattery when key is set to just before immmobliser.

If you don't mind me asking why did you change your ECU?

open the car, open the window, open bonnet take wire off battery wait 3 mins with key set to off then put wire back on with key in ignition set to just before starter motor kicks in, if thats not quiet right try disconnetingbattery when key is set to just before immmobliser.

If you don't mind me asking why did you change your ECU?

Tried everything including a rain dance 6 times. Why change ECU? Problems as above common with 95-97 Too dangerous to use on motorway runs for me anyway, who always forgets to turn AC on at slip roads.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this problem is one of the things that puts me off buying a Mk3. I cannot believe that by now, Toyota don't know what the cause is. They must know, and it's about time they issued a recall. However, the question is: How old does a particular model have to be before they won't admit liability or issue a recall, and on what basis? As a pessimist, I reckon if you were take it to the main dealer, they'd just keep guessing (or pretending not to know) and changing things at your expense - until you've paid more than the car's actually worth! Either that, or they wouldn't want to know you on the grounds that you've DARED to sully the premises with a vehicle that's more than 2 years old.

Might be worth pursuing them just in case. Their 'denying of all knowledge' with this type of problem is the sort of shoddy treatment you would expect from Ford (been there!), but hopefully not Lexus.

This needs to got to the bottom of, for everyone's sake. Collective lobbying from LOC might do the trick. Perhaps a class-action lawsuit!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this problem is one of the things that puts me off buying a Mk3. I cannot believe that by now, Toyota don't know what the cause is. They must know, and it's about time they issued a recall. However, the question is: How old does a particular model have to be before they won't admit liability or issue a recall, and on what basis? As a pessimist, I reckon if you were take it to the main dealer, they'd just keep guessing (or pretending not to know) and changing things at your expense - until you've paid more than the car's actually worth! Either that, or they wouldn't want to know you on the grounds that you've DARED to sully the premises with a vehicle that's more than 2 years old.

Might be worth pursuing them just in case. Their 'denying of all knowledge' with this type of problem is the sort of shoddy treatment you would expect from Ford (been there!), but hopefully not Lexus.

This needs to got to the bottom of, for everyone's sake. Collective lobbying from LOC might do the trick. Perhaps a class-action lawsuit!

I don't think we have a leg to stand on, it is a very dangerous fault which when found out about, they should have recalled them. Maybe a letter to the (can't remember their name) That test all the Euro cars may help but doubt it as many years have passed by.

If Lexus were that good I don't think they would say "Bring it in and we'll remove it" About an alarm immobiliser that kicked in after taking the Battery off, other companies would reactivate the alarm no matter how old it is or if it was another company that installed the alarm on their behalf when new (Happened a few times to me on different cars Ford, Mitsu, audi)

Then to charge you over £250 + VAT to remove it is just taking the mick. They actually said to me "it's a pity it's not older as they are easier to remove!!!"

I have the wiring diagram of the alarm and will be cutting the immobiliser as soon as it stops raining.

I don't see why just becuase we own older cars that Toyota Lexus should be able to just fob us off! It is potentially a fatal problem. Has anyone actually been in an accident with this problem-anyone know? If it is inherently an ECU fault then to me it is down to Lexus to fix it. Any car should be fit for purpose as the law states and having a car stall on you when you come off a Motorway with a potential 25 tonne wagon behind you is not funny. Does anyone know a solicitor and advise legal responsibility? I would expect that anything older than wet ink on the signed purchase agreement on a new vehicle and they'll shrug their shoulders and say 'not our problem!'

i think it's just a sticky valve somewhere as i've said, did they do it new? mines gt24k on the clock so i expctthigns like thisto hppenoccasionally, that may miles gunk builds up.

Not on a car that has an oil change every 6 months and the oil that comes out is as clean as the oil going in.

You really don't want to expect anything like this to happen to you, imagine a nice relaxing cruise for a couple hundred miles nearly at your destination, looking forward to where you are going to. Come on to a slip road (lets say one that goes up a ramp tuning to the left) All of a sudden you have no engine, no steering and little brakes with a 30 ton beast behind you and one coming toward you, what do you do?

I know what I did, I nearly crapped my pants and I think the truckers did too. Lexus knew about this in 1996 when the cars were nearly new with a lot of miles on the clock and updated the software on the ECU but no recall for the cars with lower mileage that this was going to happen to in the future.

Sucks....

that should say 214k, even if the oils changed often and is clean you'll still get sticky crap build up in the engine. especially cars with EGR's like almost everything post-92 (and what a PITA the EGR system is and causes).

All of a sudden you have no engine, no steering and little brakes with a 30 ton beast behind you and one coming toward you, what do you do?

as the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy says......DON'T PANIC. you still have brakes even if they don't seem so good there should stlil be at least some vacum in your inlet manifold and you still hjave steering it's just not power assisted, I was once driving a 10 tonne Volvo B10B Bus when the engine failed mid-roundabout, loseing my powersteering, i merely hauled on the steering wheel to get the bus around the roundabout, if i can get 10 tonnes of bus round a roundabout with no powersteering i'm not worrying about the lexus.

Strange siproad if omeones coming towards you and the guy behind is too close anyway if you are worried about them. plus you can just bang it into neutral and restart the engine without havign o turn it off first like in a lot of cars.

That all being said it's probably the fact that i worked for First bus (Worst bus...) for 4 1/2 years 13 days a fortnight 70-80 hour weeks that i'm kind of prepared for most things to fail on vehicles i drive....

n838500290_4356385_7579.jpg

Not the wheel nuts coming off but some berk putting the wrong oil in the Diff and casuing it to snap the driveshaft coupling mid-roundabout, the brakes on the wheel caught fire shortly after this.

that should say 214k, even if the oils changed often and is clean you'll still get sticky crap build up in the engine. especially cars with EGR's like almost everything post-92 (and what a PITA the EGR system is and causes).
All of a sudden you have no engine, no steering and little brakes with a 30 ton beast behind you and one coming toward you, what do you do?

as the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy says......DON'T PANIC. you still have brakes even if they don't seem so good there should stlil be at least some vacum in your inlet manifold and you still hjave steering it's just not power assisted, I was once driving a 10 tonne Volvo B10B Bus when the engine failed mid-roundabout, loseing my powersteering, i merely hauled on the steering wheel to get the bus around the roundabout, if i can get 10 tonnes of bus round a roundabout with no powersteering i'm not worrying about the lexus.

Strange siproad if omeones coming towards you and the guy behind is too close anyway if you are worried about them. plus you can just bang it into neutral and restart the engine without havign o turn it off first like in a lot of cars.

That all being said it's probably the fact that i worked for First bus (Worst bus...) for 4 1/2 years 13 days a fortnight 70-80 hour weeks that i'm kind of prepared for most things to fail on vehicles i drive....

n838500290_4356385_7579.jpg

Not the wheel nuts coming off but some berk putting the wrong oil in the Diff and casuing it to snap the driveshaft coupling mid-roundabout, the brakes on the wheel caught fire shortly after this.

You mustn't do much driving if you think a slip road with traffic coming towards you at the top is strange.

I can't speak for your strength but as a disabled person there was no way I could steer the beast out of trouble and my 5 foot wife could never do it either, especially when you are panicking to stop the thing from hitting something or going in a ditch.

And I can assure you there is not one ounce of gunk in the engine no sticky valve, no engine error codes, all sensors and everything else either new or cleaned.

I can now bang it in neutral as I know where it is, it's OK saying don't panic, but when you buy a car and driven it for hours in traffic jams then you want to give it a burst (within legal limits of course) And all is fine, in a Lexus you sort of drift into a sense of full relax mode, so when that call of nature happens the last thing on your mind is to bang it in neutral. I totally forgot where the handbrake was in the panic which was my first reaction, when the handbrake couldn't be found I had to take my eyes off the road to find neutral hoping I didn't put it in reverse.

All said we shouldn't have to remember to bang it in neutral, turn the AC on or worry about long journeys, no matter how old the car is.

They knew about it and should have done something about it.

From about 30mph, I once tried stopping my Mk 2 Golf (weight 945kg) with the engine off, as a matter of interest. It was truly alarming.

With the engine cut out, an LS400 with an inoperative brake servo, would be a frightful mass to slow down. I dread to think how long it would take to stop, even with the added leg muscle that fear would bring.

you knock the gearsticlk one notch forward, why do you need to look? i knid of understand if mk1/2 with the straight gear gate but still just a knock forwards.

the brake servo still has vacum in it unless you've not had the engine running for a while.

On almost every sliproad i've used if traffic is coming towards you it usually means it'd be about to join a dual-carriageway/motorway in the wrong direction, i assume you must be talkign about those ones where they couldn't afford to put in roundabouts and so have giveway lines everywhere and bad traffic flow.

I guess you've just had the engine rebuilt if you know theres no gunk anywhere, it doesn't have to stoip something working to be there.

Assumption makes an (different word for donkey) out of U and ME, in this case entirely me as i keep forgetting not everyone is 27 and buitl like an out house and i shouldn't assume they can turn a non-pas steering wheel or a brake pedal with no servo assistence.

I'm very sorry.