Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Lpg Conversion Problem Pls Help

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before

I'm new to this forum and to LPG conversions, I have a Lexus IS 200SE 2.0 its on a 2005 plate (last of the old shape), I had the conversion done last week because the Lexus would drink a lot of petrol. The car misfires a lot, I was advised by the installer to put in new spark plugs so I have but there is no change, the installer in Birmingham refuses to look at the car until the car has done a 1000 miles he say the car needs to get use to the conversion...what ever that means!!!

Another problem is that the Petrol gauge goes down a lot while I'm driving on gas, I know there should be a little petrol usage when I start the car and before it goes on to gas but I put 1/2 a tank of petrol before going on a motorway journey, while on the journey the petrol tank went empty while it was running on gas then all of a sudden as I got off the motorway the petrol needle shot up back to 1/2 a tank. I went back to the installer who has been no help at all and he told me that this was normal on Lexus cars where the petrol needle goes down while on gas. Does it?

I need help on both these problems, the installer has been no help (he was happy and friendly while taking the money) but he doesn't want to know now.

The system is a OMVR (i think...I know it begins with a O and ends with a R) :whistling:

The car does not misfire on petrol plus I've put new spark plugs NGK

No engine management light as of yet

Thank you in advance for your replies

It looks like the installer is talking rubbish and he might be blamed for anything that goes wrong with the car.

There should be no difference when driving on LPG compared to normal petrol. Probably the mixture is not set properly or the ignition wires need to be replaced.

Do not get fooled by driving 1000 miles with misfiring!!!

As for the petrol gauge, get used to it. IS 200 tries to be very smart and assumes there must be some petrol usage, that's why the gauge will go down until the light comes on.

You need to remember how much fuel you've had but the gauge will come back to its position after driving 20-30miles with petrol light on - ASSUMING THERE IS FUEL AND NO LEAKS.

Good luck,

It looks like the installer is talking rubbish and he might be blamed for anything that goes wrong with the car.

There should be no difference when driving on LPG compared to normal petrol. Probably the mixture is not set properly or the ignition wires need to be replaced.

Do not get fooled by driving 1000 miles with misfiring!!!

As for the petrol gauge, get used to it. IS 200 tries to be very smart and assumes there must be some petrol usage, that's why the gauge will go down until the light comes on.

You need to remember how much fuel you've had but the gauge will come back to its position after driving 20-30miles with petrol light on - ASSUMING THERE IS FUEL AND NO LEAKS.

Good luck,

Thanks for the info wegiel

Does anyone else have a IS200 converted and have they had the misfiring problem if so how did they resolve it

cheers

If it wasn't misfiring before you took it in then the installer needs tio rectify it. Is it an approved LPG installer with proper certification?

Ask him to fix it or take it out and refund your money, you did pay with a credit card didn't you?

If it wasn't misfiring before you took it in then the installer needs tio rectify it. Is it an approved LPG installer with proper certification?

Ask him to fix it or take it out and refund your money, you did pay with a credit card didn't you?

Its Birmingham Autogas near Starcity they are highly recommended and Approved, unfortunately I paid by cash......probably my mistake!

I've even changed where I put my gas from, I now use Shell.

Just woundering if anyone who has had a Lexus IS200 converted has had any problems and if they have how did they rectify it.

Thanks in advance

It's not discussed that often, but there are definitely members running on LPG and I haven't heard of the symptoms you've mentioned above. Sounds like they definitely need to get their act together and get it sorted out for you.

The fuel gauge is normal though I think - the IS200 has an unusual gauge that bases it's position on the amount the injectors have fired, and every so often it compares this to the actual fuel level sensor in the tank........which is why it goes down and then returns back up again.

It's not discussed that often, but there are definitely members running on LPG and I haven't heard of the symptoms you've mentioned above. Sounds like they definitely need to get their act together and get it sorted out for you.

The fuel gauge is normal though I think - the IS200 has an unusual gauge that bases it's position on the amount the injectors have fired, and every so often it compares this to the actual fuel level sensor in the tank........which is why it goes down and then returns back up again.

UPDATE ON THE MISFIRE

Right Birmingham Autogas installer called me today and told me to come down to see what the problem is.....he was in a good mood!!!

He changed the spark plugs with the ones he recommended (0.8m) free of charge and took it for a test drive but still misfiring, he put the computer on the gas ECU and changed a few settings and we told it for another test drive but it was still misfiring, then he put the computer on again on the Gas ECU and he put a diagnostic computer on under the cars steering wheel and that didn't come up with any faults, so he did a little more adjusting and added more gas intake into the engine and we took it for another test drive but it STILL misfires!!!!

His told me to drive it for the next few days and come back if it carries on....but what I don't understand how that's going to help!!! I did ask him and it say's the same think " the engine needs to get use to the gas system"

I really don't know what to do now......I really need help!!

Please is there someone who can help!!

me...............................remove the lpg and run it on petrol B) problem solved.

Last commennt is spot on, get rid of LPG before it mullers your exhaust valves coz it will, I had all these problems and more with my MK 2 GS300, LPG conversion made it the world's most un reliable car and cost me a fortune in 2 engine re builds, complete nightmare. No installer should convert these engines as Lexus will tell you.

MY personal OPINION is if you get a lexus is200 whats the point of converting it? because the whole point of owning an is200 is to experience the amount of petrol it drinks and to bleed your pocket dry! haha

just imagine if you turn up to a lexus is200 meet, everyone will be talking about my car averaged 30MPG on the mway, an does about 20-25MPG locally...you dont want to be the odd one out by saying "My car gives me 50MPG locally an about 80MPG on the mway! it would just totally ruin the purpose of an is200! :lol:

MY personal OPINION is if you get a lexus is200 whats the point of converting it? because the whole point of owning an is200 is to experience the amount of petrol it drinks and to bleed your pocket dry! haha

just imagine if you turn up to a lexus is200 meet, everyone will be talking about my car averaged 30MPG on the mway, an does about 20-25MPG locally...you dont want to be the odd one out by saying "My car gives me 50MPG locally an about 80MPG on the mway! it would just totally ruin the purpose of an is200! :lol:

Hi, sorry I was a bit blunt last nite, it brought SO many bad memories, my 1st problem was a similar mis fire, it seems they are oh so fussy spark wise on LPG where they will run perfectly on petrol. I think a change of HT leads and coil packs eventually cured mine but the auto up shift was never as sweet on gas, I could always tell which fuel it was running on.

Once the mis fire was cured (sort off) the idle went haywire, often refusing to idle and without a clutch to save it and refusal to re start was a real problem meaning I had to get out and push ! Later the engine management system would shut down with no warning (lane 4 of the M25 is hard to forget) It just got worse and worse until there was no compression in certain heat ranges so I had the head re built with hardened valve seats (yes it did have flash lube fitted ) It then managed no more than 8,000 before it all started again so I gave up.

My previous Omega managed 200,000 on gas with no engine problems, plenty gas related hassle but was tolerable, The Lexus hardly managed 25,000

The GS cost me thousands more than I could have ever saved so I am sure Lexus are best left to burn the fuel they were designed for.

Good luck Tony

me...............................remove the lpg and run it on petrol B) problem solved.

Last commennt is spot on, get rid of LPG before it mullers your exhaust valves coz it will, I had all these problems and more with my MK 2 GS300, LPG conversion made it the world's most un reliable car and cost me a fortune in 2 engine re builds, complete nightmare. No installer should convert these engines as Lexus will tell you.

did you have a flash lube system fitted???

did you have a flash lube system fitted???

Hi Rob,

Its a OMVL system fitted with Flash Lube, I have been back to the installer today and have found out that it only misfires between 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm, the installer has run out of idea's to what it could be...the things that have been done so far are:

Things that have been done so far:

(1) Sparks changed to recommended LPG plugs

(2) Increase gas follow in the engine

(3) Diagnostic has brought up no fault on the engine (no misfires)

(4) ECU of the gas system has been checked and no faults.

Has anyone got any idea's I would really appreciated it.

Thanks

Hi, sorry I was a bit blunt last nite, it brought SO many bad memories, my 1st problem was a similar mis fire, it seems they are oh so fussy spark wise on LPG where they will run perfectly on petrol. I think a change of HT leads and coil packs eventually cured mine but the auto up shift was never as sweet on gas, I could always tell which fuel it was running on.

Once the mis fire was cured (sort off) the idle went haywire, often refusing to idle and without a clutch to save it and refusal to re start was a real problem meaning I had to get out and push ! Later the engine management system would shut down with no warning (lane 4 of the M25 is hard to forget) It just got worse and worse until there was no compression in certain heat ranges so I had the head re built with hardened valve seats (yes it did have flash lube fitted ) It then managed no more than 8,000 before it all started again so I gave up.

My previous Omega managed 200,000 on gas with no engine problems, plenty gas related hassle but was tolerable, The Lexus hardly managed 25,000

The GS cost me thousands more than I could have ever saved so I am sure Lexus are best left to burn the fuel they were designed for.

Good luck Tony

Thanks tony

I stopped a taxi driver (this was before I had it converted) who was driving a Lexus IS 200 which had been gas converted, he covered 100k with no problems the car has done in total 160k and still running strong. He has a Prins system which was out of my price range.

Good luck Tony

Thanks tony

I stopped a taxi driver (this was before I had it converted) who was driving a Lexus IS 200 which had been gas converted, he covered 100k with no problems the car has done in total 160k and still running strong. He has a Prins system which was out of my price range.

I feel sorry for you, I hope that you get this sorted. It does sound as though you should take out the LPG and if you aren't happy with the MPG buy a diesel.

I'm sorry it's not a solve to your problem but it seems to be the ideal solution!

I would be worried about driving it with a misfire as it will cause damage. The only thing I know about LPG that it makes the engine run hotter than with a petrol fuel, I'm not sure where this would cause an additional "drain" on then engine / ignition though.

I'd want it removed now or take the car off the road and contact Trading Standards, probably not what you want to hear. What does the guarantee / warranty say?

i believe lexus have a "real time" unit that collects to the obd and you can see what is really happening but i would suspect the problem is with the gas kit and nothing to do with the car itself.

what happens when you run the car on petrol only - assume all is ok?

i believe lexus have a "real time" unit that collects to the obd and you can see what is really happening but i would suspect the problem is with the gas kit and nothing to do with the car itself.

I remember during my early mis fire problems the gas fault reader (Prins system ) kept telling us both the cats were down and needed changing but Lexus disagreed and so I was stuck between the two, dont get yourself in this situation, run it on petrol and get the reliability back. This engine will easily cover 200 _300 K if left standard

I remember during my early mis fire problems the gas fault reader (Prins system ) kept telling us both the cats were down and needed changing but Lexus disagreed and so I was stuck between the two, dont get yourself in this situation, run it on petrol and get the reliability back. This engine will easily cover 200 _300 K if left standard

Cheers guys,

I had the guy look at the coil packs today and he did a pressure test (or something like that) and he said they were all fine, what he did do was change where the the Flash lube was going, he drilled a hole in the manifold and put it direct....(well I think thats what he said) :?: its seemed to be running a little better a little more smoother, no misfire as of yet....fingers crossed.

Cheers guys,

I had the guy look at the coil packs today and he did a pressure test (or something like that) and he said they were all fine, what he did do was change where the the Flash lube was going, he drilled a hole in the manifold and put it direct....(well I think thats what he said) :?: its seemed to be running a little better a little more smoother, no misfire as of yet....fingers crossed.

you are making me cringe !!! it sounds awful and so far from what a Lexus needs.

Cheers guys,

you are making me cringe !!! it sounds awful and so far from what a Lexus needs.

Hi again, flash lube is designed to TRY and stop the exhaust valves burning out ( because the gas burns hotter and longer than petrol it is still burning when it passes the back of the valve/seat area ) so how can the lube entry point reduce a mis fire ? I feel some straws are being clutched by a guy in a corner. If its is like this 1st week I hate to think what you are facing in the future.

I have LPG done on my three years ago and no trouble with misfiring. Only thing that I dont like is Engine light which is caused by LPG fuel to confuse computer with quality of fuel. Since the weather got changed I got a problem with my car turning off on stop lights when its not fully warm. RPM is way to low around 550 they told me at the LPG service. Did anybody had similar experiences?

Cheers

Cheers guys,

Hi again, flash lube is designed to TRY and stop the exhaust valves burning out ( because the gas burns hotter and longer than petrol it is still burning when it passes the back of the valve/seat area ) so how can the lube entry point reduce a mis fire ? I feel some straws are being clutched by a guy in a corner. If its is like this 1st week I hate to think what you are facing in the future.

I have LPG done on my three years ago and no trouble with misfiring. Only thing that I dont like is Engine light which is caused by LPG fuel to confuse computer with quality of fuel. Since the weather got changed I got a problem with my car turning off on stop lights when its not fully warm. RPM is way to low around 550 they told me at the LPG service. Did anybody had similar experiences?

Cheers

Cheers guys,

Which system do you have on you Lexus?