Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Ps And Alternator Problem

Hi all,

I own a '93 LS400, and lovely she is :)

However a few months ago I hit a nasty pothole whilst out on a drive, ever since that incident there has been a leak with the Power Steering system, from what I read I imagine it's the pump, although I can't see where the leak originates from.

My work takes up a lot of my time (over 80 working hours a week not inc of commute) then family for what time I have left...

so refilling the PS Fluids when low has been the quick and easy solution... :blink:

Thats just the start of my problems, as I'm sure most reading this will know already what has now happened next... the Alternator has given up on me - obviously due to the leaking of fluid from directly above :excl:

Ok so now I have learnt the hard way, I hope this stands as a cost saving future lesson for anyone not at this stage yet!

Next is the repair... my local Lexus dealer have quoted me £1,400 +VAT for parts and labour. Oh dear!

So that is not what I want to do, as much as I love my little Lexus (little!?!?!?) I'm not willing to part that amount for such a repair... there must be a cheaper way of course. Scrap, recon etc...

The question I suppose I would like the answer to is what is the part or reference numbers for the PS Pump and Alternator (the latter especially as looking on eBay I notice several different type, even saying they are for the same model yet have diff numbers!)

Many Thanks

i would sugest getting your alternator reconditioned (alternatively contact benfur on here for an used one) & its probably only an o ring on the PS pump (lots of posts on here about it) £100 should see you right.

i would suggest getting your alternator reconditioned (alternatively contact benfur on here for an used one) & its probably only an o ring on the PS pump (lots of posts on here about it) £100 should see you right.

God is that it? and the dealers want how much?...its just like the instrument cluster scam.... :shutit:

The leak is usually from underneath the reservoir, not the pump. O-ring is only a couple of quid from Lexus, cant recall the part no. but a search on this forum will find plenty on how to change it...took me an hour (with cups of tea...)

I'd do it myself if i were you b'cos the little £2 bit of rubber has already cost you a bundle and another hours labor at the garage will double the charges...its up to you

I was lucky as i'd left mine for ages and also got sick of topping up the fluid (£50 later... :unsure: )

When i read the posts on the alternator troubles i knew i had to do it, but it turned out it wasnt leaking from the usual place. Mine leaked from the fig.of 8 cooler pipe that is below the fan as you lift the bonnet. The fan had blown it all over so it looked like it was the reservoir.

A few new jubilee clips did that job.

If you're unsure get the engine steamed from the local car wash lads but take the engine cover off (underneath) so it washes away and wont drip on your drive again :whistling:

Replacing the alternator is tough on the drive. Its like playing twister in 3D!

I ached for days after. Its damned heavy and can really tear at your muscles when you try to wriggle it in!

I bought the O ring but there is very little leeway to undo the reservoir nuts/bolts - I gave up in the end and I think the oil leak in the end was from down below anyway.

I got a used one from Benfur along with a better fan belt. A very reasonable bloke.

How much is a re-con?

Oh deary me. This happened to me last christmas.

This is your solution. There is a bloke that advertises on e-bay. Hes called ...2006 or something. ill post the address in a day or 2 when i dig it out. He charged me £169 including delivery and it arrived the next day at 10 am. Brilliant. And im sure it was a new unit and not recon. The swop is fiddly. The nack through is to get the car high enough. I use ramps. With the car up high it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours.

Next is the o ring. bit more tricky this but not that difficult.

If i were you id also replace the PAS cooling pipe behind the front air dam. 10 mm flexi copper pipe from the plumpers will work fine.. Do it now because it WILL be rusty and will leak exactly 1 week after you fix teh alternator.

good look.

Oh deary me. This happened to me last christmas.

This is your solution. There is a bloke that advertises on e-bay. Hes called ...2006 or something. ill post the address in a day or 2 when i dig it out. He charged me £169 including delivery and it arrived the next day at 10 am. Brilliant. And im sure it was a new unit and not recon. The swop is fiddly. The nack through is to get the car high enough. I use ramps. With the car up high it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours.

Next is the o ring. bit more tricky this but not that difficult.

If i were you id also replace the PAS cooling pipe behind the front air dam. 10 mm flexi copper pipe from the plumpers will work fine.. Do it now because it WILL be rusty and will leak exactly 1 week after you fix teh alternator.

good look.

Thanks, would appreciate that, there are a few alternators listed on eBay however they have different reference numbers but aspparently for the same car :S which is why I needed a little assistance lol

Na then Balch mi old son.

Sorry this has taken me a little while. I found the address but the dog ate it...no really. I dug it out while i was in the garage at the weekend and while my back was turned the dog ate it. She likes paper. Wish she`d been around 30 years ago when i needed an excuse for not doing my homework.

Anyway, you can find this guy on e-bay. I seem to remember that hes in Newbury or somewhere. .................................

just been on e-bay and the guy is Electrostart2006 .

look him up. He gave me great service.

Mine is a late 93 Mkll. The alternator is a A357. The original alternator is in front of me now and the serial/part # is

100211- 6390.

Dont know if your is the same year and model as mine. The guy at Electostart will tell you.

Good look with fitting the new one. It really isnt difficult. get the car up as high as you can. make sure it is secure and safe. Remove the plastic belly tray. Undo the clip securing the pipes that are in the way and tye them back. Crack the bolts holding the alternator. The belt tensioner just pushes out of the way so you can get the belt out of the way. Remove the bolts holding the Alt. Tilt it and lower it through the bottome of the car. EASY. This is a good time to replace the "O" ring in the PAS pump because alternator is out of the way.

Shove the new up and into possition. Loosly bolt in place, Push the ternsioner up and get the belt on. Tighten up. replace the pipe clip and belly tray and have a cuppa.

• 1 month later...
Oh! forgot to mention this Balch. That machanic of yours. Ring your local police and warn then that ***** Turpin is back in town. £1400 my **se.

Im not a professional machanic but the whole job took me less than a day. :zorro:

LOL, that was Lexus Cheltenham.

Anyway having sourced a Lexus fitter with genuine new parts had the job done for £700 ... still a shocking price but better than the alturnative I feel.

However to add insult to injury... the Battery needed replacing, ok no problem, £74 later... the radio is now no operational, the display reads "SEC" so obviously it seems to think it has been wrenced from another motor! :tsktsk: which I can only assume was caused by the Battery problem in this algorithmic equation! :unsure:

Any help would be very welcome again :)

To begin with no I'm not the guy on eBay selling alternators.

Regarding the security code for the radio try the last 3 digits of your VIN.

What you should have done was to disable the security code before removing the Battery.

Remember you only have 5 attempts to input the correct code or the system will lock out completely.

If you need the proceedure let me know.

Regarding the security code for the radio try the last 3 digits of your VIN.

Tried that now 3 times.... maybe I was over eager... still got the "ERR" screen each time, oh well, any other ideas? Or is this a goto Lexus and cough up all your £££