Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bl**dy Private Sellers

Ian D

Went to see my dream IS200 this afternoon, an SE limited edition. 'Mint condition', 'you won't be disappointed', 'just serviced', 'full history', warranted '49,000 miles' were just some of the words from the seller. He's asking a fair price for the car described

Did reg check, completely clear but current owner registered in end-Aug, so bit strange for 2 and a bit months ownership. But he assured me on 'phone.

Went over there but seller delayed at work by 2 hrs, so sat around drinking coffee and reading paper.

Finally got to see car. Seller says some bloke coming down from Birmingham to see it and he has to be off for meeting in 30 mins time - so he's not trying to pressure me then.

First check tyres: different types on front axles, spare is frayed so much on inside edge that has worn completely through canvas (yes, it had a big hole in it).

Not a good start then. Let's check bodywork.....

Had been resprayed front and rear nearside quarters.

'Forgot' to bring service book with him. 'Recent service' turns out to be 20 mths & 10,000 miles ago.

Shows me MoT chits - there is a 7 month gap between Mar & Oct this year, and how the h*ll did it get through an MoT with that spare - puts doubt on the car.

Claims that actually had car for 6 mths and previous owner 'forgot' to send off docs to DVLA.

alloys kerbed, front discs well-worn & due replacement.

Still might be worth a gamble, so I said "2 new tyres, front discs & pads would cost £500, service another £400, so that's £900 of work to put it in condition you described, let alone the respray" and he said "I'm not coming down in price, there's a bloke coming down from Birmingham......" so I said 'It's not the car I thought it was, I'll give it a miss........" Cue one unhappy viewer (5hrs of my time wasted). Cue one unhappy seller.

What is it with sellers? Most of us aren't idiots and will check documentation, so why lie?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Ian

:angry:

sorry to hear that mate hope you find a minter soon.

oh to your.......... and how the h*ll did it get through an MoT with that spare - puts doubt on the car.......

you dont check the spare on a mot.its not part of the mot. :winky:

"you dont check the spare on a mot.its not part of the mot."

I checked - you're right, tester only has to tell presenter.

Will **** me sideways. About 4 yrs ago took then car (a Honda) for MoT, tester said that spare was down to limits and had failed test! Cost me a new tyre (went on front, but still had to pay for new one) and a retest fee. I've been done. I feel even worse now. :angry:

Ian

in my sig you will see i'm a mot tester.....you can only tell the customer if you can see it without removing or lifting the boot carpet/floor(not allowed to remove parts of the car)

also why the retest fee??did it take you to get the tyre?

if the tyre was done at the same garage on the same day or even the next you wouldnt carry out a retest!!!you'd carry out a fast pass.their for no fee!

you've been bent over without so much as a dinner first!!lol

I do have one consolation though. I told my wife we were never going to use them again as I didn't like their attitude. Skip forward a year or 2 and she's now my ex-wife and just because I said not to, she takes her car there for an MoT & gets hit £80 for number plates as those on not have make's name on - serves her right as she ignored my warning as law had just made requirement (for her car, but not all, I think, but I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!). :P

ps Nice car, Ormi

I do have one consolation though. I told my wife we were never going to use them again as I didn't like their attitude. Skip forward a year or 2 and she's now my ex-wife and just because I said not to, she takes her car there for an MoT & gets hit £80 for number plates as those on not have make's name on - serves her right as she ignored my warning as law had just made requirement (for her car, but not all, I think, but I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!). :P

your right mate any plates made from now(was about a year ago but cant remember for sure)must be made with post codes and the kite mark on it,if your car was made before 2001/02 you can have blank plates ie no post code but if you smash one it must be replaced with the postcoded one if you know what i mean.and yes it will fail an mot.