Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fault Code Reader

Way over the top for diy,er. Argos do one for a third the price. Allthat seem to be to me is a codereader. You will plug it in and it will give you a meaningless code. Does PO314 mean anything to you. MIsfire cylinder number 4 (vauxhall coding) but if it came up with just the code PO314 it wouldnt help you much at all. Even if it did say misfire number 4 cylinder, wouldnt tell you why it was missfiring. Leave the code readig to the pros mate unless your going to spend real big money. One of my bits of kit cost me £3400 and it still doesnt do everything.

Personally, i think its a waste of money, you can buy cheaper versions that do the same thing. if you have a "big" problem that urgently needs looking into, such as a P2002 code on an IS220d you need to take it to Lexus, the OBD on the car tells you if there is any problems anyway.

It is nice to know what needs replacing, not much goes wrong with the IS200s,

Ball joints wear out, Rear calipers seize, oxy sensors go, keep on top of that and it'll run like brand new, also make sure your coolant is topped up, simple stuff.

If you really feel the need for one id recommend one from Mac, £50.

I too was vaguely wondering about being able to read diagnostic codes from the ECU. I am interested to hear the comments on the benefits, or otherwise, of being able to do this!

The lowest cost solution might be to use one of the 'interface units' to allow the connection of a laptop, via USB, to the vehicle OBD2 socket. There is quite a lot of electronics in such an interface box, due to all the different standards and manufacturers involved. There are several software packages which can run on a laptop, e.g. EasyOBDII, OBD2Spy, Scanmaster, Touchscan, amongst others. I am sure that not all packages will work with all interface units.

Has anyone gone down this route, and has the information gathered been of any use?

I too was vaguely wondering about being able to read diagnostic codes from the ECU. I am interested to hear the comments on the benefits, or otherwise, of being able to do this!

The lowest cost solution might be to use one of the 'interface units' to allow the connection of a laptop, via USB, to the vehicle OBD2 socket. There is quite a lot of electronics in such an interface box, due to all the different standards and manufacturers involved. There are several software packages which can run on a laptop, e.g. EasyOBDII, OBD2Spy, Scanmaster, Touchscan, amongst others. I am sure that not all packages will work with all interface units.

Has anyone gone down this route, and has the information gathered been of any use?

I have already ordered such device and I am willing to try :) I have no reason to think, why it may not work. I will let you know, whether it works or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...%3D10%26ps%3D63

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28528

I have 3 OBD code readers. Each piece of kit is better on some makes of cars than others. Over the weekend my engine management light came on. I plugged in both my expensive bits of kit neither would comunicate with my Lexus. I plugged in my cheap Argos piece of kit, bingo fault code and description. Heater curcit bank one sensor one lambda sensor. Bank one sensor one is the front one of the 3 sensors.

Becarefull if your buying expensive kit. Some kits are better then others on certain makes of car. I have a Bosch made kit that interfaces with a laptop. KTS550 is what kit it is. There is a 650 version which is a hand held totally contained piece of kit the only diffrence in programing is the 650 has an oscilascope. Cost diffrence was about £1000 at new. The updates for the system is also about £650 a year. This system is great on german made cars and most european made cars but is carbage on jap stuff. Depending on what kit you buy depends on what cars and what "stuff" it will do. My cheap argos kit will only do engine fault codes on most makes of car. My Bosch kit does engine, traction control,airbag, tyre pressure monitering, imobilizers,service light reset, dash board reprograming just about everything. Like i said make sure what ever kit you buy does actually do Lexus would be a shame to buy kit that wont do your car but is great on the neighbours