Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2009 Is220 'improvements'?

Steve_L

Hi all. I'm a new member but a 3 year IS 220 driver. Lease car went back yesterday, now have my own 2009 model.

I bought it in spite of not being totally impressed by the fuel consumption experience (generally 38ish but up to 50 on the occasional long A road run), but 2009 improvement claims were compelling. First impressions were good (47.5 mpg on computer for 120 mile motorway return home from collection) but real day to day driving is a killer - 34.5 (real) mpg from first full tank and second looks similar.

Do I have to change my driving style and avoid stopping at traffic lights, junctions, etc, avoid going up hill or even drive like I need pipe and slippers?

Love the car so feel determined to somehow address what seems to be the only consistent thing about the 220 model - its inconsistency when it comes to fuel consumption. Is the IS the only car with so much variation?

Cheers

Hi.

I bought a 2006 IS 220D SE last week. Spent a bit of time researching before I made the purchase and you are exactly right - the one consistent issue regarding these vehicles is the MPG figures.

I decided that I liked the style and specification of the Lexus and this is more important to me than the MPG figures. My "heart always rules my head" when it comes to cars and in my case I was prepared to make the comprimise between the looks, specification, exclusivity and the reportedly poor fuel consumption. I have had Audi's and BMW's in the past and was looking for something in the same class, but a little bit different. The Lexus "ticked all the boxes" for me.

However, a lot of people when looking at prospective diesel powered vehicles are certainly going to be concerned with MPG figures. I'm sure that we would start seeing a lot more IS's on the road if the Lexus diesel engine returned the sort of MPG figures that can be expected from the likes of BMW and Audi brands.

I am surprised that Lexus as a manufacturer have not addressed this issue more vigarously.

Good for me I guess as not every "Tom, ***** or Harry" is driving the same car as me, but not so good for Lexus as they are missing out on potential sales.

Thanks for responding on this topic.

We concur on a number of points, not least of which is why Lexus themselves do not address what seems to be a fairly common problem with their diesel engine. It does not compete if fuel consumption alone is the key criteria for purchase, but as you say, it has other great qualities, which is why I have a second one.

The main issue I would like to take up with members is the best route to resolve the lack of improvement I am suffering. My plan at the moment is to book it in early for 10000 service (I have 8000 on clock) and ask dealer to check set up; but no certainty of success. Lexus claim the engine has fuel consumption over 10% better than old one. Have any other members with 2009 model achieved this improvement?

Will also post this to the IS page as I note likely to get better response there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links