Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Poor Cold Starting

mrwireless

Hi everyone, I have searched this subject but not really found anyone with exactly the same problem, our IS200 has been fine all summer but now on the cold damp mornings rather than starting within a few seconds of cranking it will fire then stop. Crank again, fire but wont keep running, repeat 3 or 4 times then eventually it runs. Alternatively if I just keep cranking for 10 to 15 seconds rather than letting the key go when it fires, it fires a few times while cranking then starts. Battery voltage is fine and it cranks over at a good speed.

It has done 90k, full service history, cambelt replaced in the summer, the engine management warning light is OFF.

I have ordered an ELM unit and Engine Check software to see what the various sensors are reading, I guess there wont be any stored error codes as there are no warning lights showing. I am new to electronic engine diagnostics but I am an experienced electronics engineer.

Thanks in advance, Martin

when was the battery replaced??

Hi Rob, the car is a late 2002, I cant find a date on the Battery, it has writing in Japanese with some English, there is a number on the top label that says 140502G could that be 14-May 02? It has a condition indicator that shows a blue ring.

I will get my test meter and measure the voltage while cranking.

the condition indicator should not be relied on as its not reliable by any means.

a voltage drop should give you and idea but as you know it wont show the battery amps condition. whats your driving pattern - long runs or short trips?

Hi Rob, it does a mixture of either a 20 mile or 30 mile commute 5 days a week, the 30 mile commute involves 20 miles of motorway.

Cheers, Martin

the condition indicator should not be relied on as its not reliable by any means.

a voltage drop should give you and idea but as you know it wont show the battery amps condition. whats your driving pattern - long runs or short trips?

Hi Rob, it does a mixture of either a 20 mile or 30 mile commute 5 days a week, the 30 mile commute involves 20 miles of motorway.

Cheers, Martin

ok just wondering as short trips will not keep a Battery fully charged, 20 - 30 miles is plenty for that.

Cheers, Martin

ok just wondering as short trips will not keep a Battery fully charged, 20 - 30 miles is plenty for that.

Found it I hope! Battery voltage dropped to 9V while cranking so there is certainly a duff cell! I measured the voltage with a calibrated meter directly across the Battery terminals rather than rely on the dash voltmeter.The alternator picks it up to a fraction under 14V so no problems there.