Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This A Scam? Advice Please.

So I'm having to sell my IS as I'm moving overseas. Put it on Autotrader on Thursday evening, got my first call this morning.

It was a guy from Northern Ireland who said he was off on holiday tomorrow but was very interested and could we come to an arrangement over the phone. This set alarm bells ringing immediately, but he wanted to complete the deal when he got back in a weeks time.

I explained that I can't hold the car for him and if someone appears with the money at my door then I will be taking it. He said he will give me a call when he is back from his holiday to see if I still have it and if I do he will head over.

Parts of this sound dodgy but I don't know if I am just being over cautious. What do you guys think?

They're usually dodgy mate, Would you buy a car over the phone without seeing it?

Best way is, unless someone gives you a wedge of cash for the car dont do it.

In a week he'll probably say he'll give you an extra £2k for the car, and can you pay his mate who will collect the car for him out of that.

Iain

Sounds like a scam, When I sold my Ibiza in July I had 3 calls from different people based in 3 different countries. They didnt come to an arrangement, they 'told' me what was going to happen, my reply was the same as yours unless its cash in my hand the car isnt going anywhere!!

Doesnt sound like a problem to me, you said yourself thecars going nowere without the cash in your hand.I wouldnt worry about it. Until you got the cash dont hand over the keys. Like a merecat once said "simples"

Deffo stay clear of them, my mate had the same problem with Autotrader and some guy from Ireland and i had trouble on eBay with someone from halfway around the world saying he would pick it up in a week. they must think were thick lol.

id probably sell on eBay as you can at least see people details and previous feedback

pp

I recently had a classic 83 Lotus Esprit turbo listed on eBay. Had a buyer from Norway contacting me, and one from Australia.The only reason i didnt sell is it didnt meet the reserve. Wouldnt bother me who was buying it i wouldnt release the car until i had the cash. I saw the car listed again a week after, someone had used my pics and listing wording again not my problem i did message a few of the bidders out of courtesy tell them to be aware. Bottom line if you think its a scam dont releasethe car without the pound notes.

Personally i have heard more bad stories when buying a car. i heard a customer who went to buy car when he arrived the guy was in the front garden he said "the cars round the back" when they went round the back 2 other guys appeared with bats and told him to hand over the cash. They knew he had the money he was going to buy the car.

Dealing in cash is never advisable if selling a car of any real value because of the risks involved. You could accept the cash and then be "robbed" by either the buyer or an accomplice let alone the risk of a random attack. The money, or part of it, could be fake and believe me it is not easy to spot some of the sophisticated fake notes about nowadays, the "feel" of the paper is the best way to check but only if you know what you are doing.

One of the safest ways is a Building Society cheque.