Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls400 Mk4 Newbie Question

Hi, I have just joined and this is my first post. I've been lurking on here for a while now and want to buy a series 4 LS400, I thought about an LS430 but I'm not keen on the pre 2003 facelift model and a good low mileage one is above my budget.

Now there seems to be a big difference in prices on the series 4, anywhere from £2800 to £4995 from a dealer on Autotrader at the mo. There is one at £5200, 2000 model with 76k and a private seller, question is what is it really worth? Surely its way overpriced?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, I have just joined and this is my first post. I've been lurking on here for a while now and want to buy a series 4 LS400, I thought about an LS430 but I'm not keen on the pre 2003 facelift model and a good low mileage one is above my budget.

Now there seems to be a big difference in prices on the series 4, anywhere from £2800 to £4995 from a dealer on Autotrader at the mo. There is one at £5200, 2000 model with 76k and a private seller, question is what is it really worth? Surely its way overpriced?? Any advice would be appreciated.

That's good, low mileage. If the car is genuine and has the requisite FSH, I would be a bit cheeky and offer £4000 in cash and see what happens.

Must be worth £4500 if it is A1.

If you really want an LS430, don't be afraid of mileage, a looked after car with high motorway miles will actually have less wear than older car that's been town-pottered. Even Toyota used to say buy young with high miles than old with low miles when they started their approved scheme years ago.

An example being, my dad's LS400 is still on the original brake discs after 168k and has only recently had to have the Battery changed, largely because for the first half of it's life it spent it on the motorway, no stop start wear etc.

Thanks for your replies!

I thought around the £4k mark also if it was mint with full service history but I doubt the seller would drop that low.

I think he has looked on autotrader at the crazy prices some dealers are asking and thought his is worth more with less mileage, thing is the expensive ones have been on for months!

I agree with you on the higher miles newer car thing, but I still think a good condition one would be over my budget as I dont want to get a loan.

Hi I knocked the price down on mine from £4000 to £2250, highish miles is not a problem, service history & condition is more important, better higher motorway miles than local low miles. £3000 to £3500 should get you a mint example.

There is one in nobby & Dicks dealers in Enfield a 1999(v) 100k full lexus history 14 stamps for £2995, I recon you could get it for near £2500 cash no part/ exchange, it looks really tidy aswell, Good luck & be patient.

Service history is all well & good, but look for reciepts for work done previous.

These cars are excellent but do have some faults and can be expensive. If a car looks good on paper, it means you will get all the common issues so its worth getting one thats had some of the common things replaced already. I'd pay a slightly higher price if i saw reciepts that have saved me any expense in the future. Dealers might lead you on 'cos the markets deflated and its near xmas...i'd buy private unless the dealers model was mint, with receipts and service history, AND 2 keys. A replacement master key is dear and needed if the fob ever goes out of sync

High miles are only an issue for the suspension control arms. The engine can take it and more...mines done 230k and is 17yrs old, still runs without a whimper.

The brake discs and calipers look old but are still in good condition, original exhaust (replaced 2 gaskets, thats it), very little rust for a car this age, and none of that rust is visible. Small patch in boot and at rear door arches inside on body.

Any LS is a good buy really

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links