Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im not sure if i want to buy this GS300 '98 with 80k km...

Hello all,

I wanted to buy this GS300 from '98 with 80k km for around 17k £. It has everything but navigation and its in a very good condition.

Since I have never bought japanese cars at all, I thought to myself if you buy one then get a Lexus.

I read a lot of reviews about the GS300, but those are allways brand new cars. So my question goes to all you old "school" lexus owners who have over 80k km, are you still satisfied with it? Did you get lots of problems. Do you think that baby will go for 200k km easily without me having to buy a new engine, gear etc?

Thanks a lot ;) for the help

Cya

[Edited on 10-4-2002 by Foxbat]

Hi Foxbat,

My Lexus (ES300/Windom) has clocked over 100,000 and drives like new. 80 k is not much for such a big car.. and by the sounds of it that GS has spent it's life on a motorway which is much better than a motor that has done short distance trips.

Also it has probably had lots of services which is good too. As long as the service history is intact you should find a trouble free Lexus.

I only buy Japanese cars as they hardly ever go wrong...

Let us kow how you get on.. also there are a few GS owners that i am sure will give you some good advice.

Did you mean to say 80K KM?? - that's only 50,000 miles which is nothing on a GS300. My 98GS3 has just reached 108,000 miles and is still perfect. The only fault it's ever had is a leaky water pump. I'd say go for it - you might want to check that it has a full Lexus service history.

Hi Foxbat,

I have had three GS's, The first one a 1997 series 1 when i sold it had done 72,000 miles of which I had done 62,000 Only problem was with the alloy wheels paint flaking off.

My second a 1999 series 2 I did 42,000 and the only problem was with the alloy wheels which suffered from corrosion.

Thrid one has not yet done very many miles under 12k but has already had the wheels changed.

In my experience GS's dont go wrong.

Except for the alloy wheels :mad::mad:

I haven't had my GS300 very long but I do have all the previous bills and service record (now on 115,000 MILES).

The only big thing was the brake discs - which I read somewhere else on the site can warp under excessive use. The wise previous owner

got the spec & quote from Lexus and then got his trusted local garage to replace all disks and pads - for me to inherit!

Of all the old and new cars I have driven the GS is by far the smoothest and most solid. I was given a lift in an Almera today - blimey it sounded soooo noisy - all rattles and bangs - and this strange sound under the bonnet - I think they call it the engine....:yes:

Hello Foxbat. Welcome to the club.

When you are spending as much money as you are thinking of doing, You want to spend it wisely. The car you are looking at is going to be the best value for money you can get. I was not sure if I wanted to spend as much as I did on any car. I paid top bucks for my MK1 Sport £15000. but it is worth every penny. How often do you keep smiling after parting with £15000? My car has only done 63000 miles so runns really sweet. the only thing I have had replaced is the Starter Motor, which failed. but this is an extended warrenty item. if it has service history GO FOR IT.... :smilegrin::smilegrin: